Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

telemark

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would I be able to learn telemark without being able to ski on normal skis? I've admitted I do need to learn something as a 2nd discipline and telemark does look cool. Would being a spazz on skis go against me or is the technique completely different and being unable to ski normally be a bonus?
Closest answer I've got so far is "well it would be interesting"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stab, talk to Rudi Lanz Wink

But really, I think you should be able to learn to tele without learning to ski... hell the norwegians managed Wink

The one thing Tele shares with Alpine ski... it won't work if you try to board on them !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stab, I think most of the people who try telemark have either previous experience of alpine skiing or cross-country skiing (which is of course also free heel). However, in principle I don't see why you couldn't start off learning on telemark gear (after all that's what the original telemark skiers did! Smile ). You would probably still need to start off with snowplough turns on gentle terrain, and then progress from snowplough to the telemark turn. Of course there are other techniques such as traversing, side slipping and parallel turns which any competent skier (alpine or telemarker) needs to have mastered as part of their armoury of skiing tools.

You must know Tino who runs the Privat ski and board school in Wengen. He is a great Telemark instructor Cool , and I believe he is also a boarder, so will understand your strengths and weaknesses from that discipline. Have an informal chat with him and see what he suggests, and maybe a 1 hour lesson with him to see how you get on.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheers guys, those are the 2 I had in mind. Now its quieter I'll see them. You never know, I could be having telemark lessons soon Laughing
I cant snow plough Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, Did you have any ski lessons or did you try and teach yourself?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
riverman, He's a proud man, he never took lessons to board wink

I'm amazed he is considering tele lessons Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riverman, no lessons, I don't need them, I'm teh Stab Laughing

Ronald, After my basi boarding thing I can see the advantage of lessons, proper lessons that is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab, those instructor courses are real eye-openers, aren't they Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab, Skied with many tele skiers who never learned to alpine but it does come in handy at times especially early season when I don't want a knee in the rocks and stumps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy