Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for skiing for couple - second ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

my husband and I are both relatively inexperienced skiiers (I've skiied twice, private lessons both times..he's skiied on school trips and with me last time I went - we managed blues and some wide reds) and are looking for a resort recommendation.
With the terrifying euro we are thinking about looking at a chalet as at least you'll be forewarned about the price. Would we be better to try a non-euro resort and try self-catering/B&B?
We are hoping to go in late Feb early March.

Thanks!

PS sorry if this has been extensively covered already...........
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I think catered (either chalet or hotel) would probably work out cheaper in the long run unless you actually self-cater and cook for yourselves, rather than eating out every night...

There's no escaping the weak pound this season either. The pound is weak against pretty much every other currency at the moment, the only exception I can think of is the Zimbabwean Dollar!

So with this in mind, I'm sure a helpful snowHead will be able to recommend some value for money resorts and chalets/hotels. In my experience I have found Austria, Andorra and Italy to be cheaper than France and to have a wider variety of catered accommodation. Resorts like Kitzbühel, Passo Tonale and Pas De La Casa have served me well in this respect...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks queen bodecia - we were looking at Austria and Andorra because of short transfer times. I heard Italy is great value for money but the 4 hour coach trip is putting us off slightly.
Is Andorra good for anyone other than absolute beginners? Every website I've looked at only recommends it for Learn To Ski packages........ could be looking at the wrong ones though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think transfer times depend on resort in Italy. It was about 3 hours from Verona to Passo Tonale, but this season I'm going to Courmayeur and the TO quotes under 2 hours for the transfer from Turin. In Andorra, the transfer to Pas De La Casa from Toulouse was nearly 4 hours, but I know some TOs fly to closer airports...

Pas De La Casa is part of a large linked area with Soldeu and El Tarter ('Grandvalira') so plenty of scope for all abilities of skiers. Haven't been to Arinsal or Pal/Arcalis but I'm pretty sure they are part of a linked area too...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kalise25, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead

Andorra would be a good choice for skiing and maybe for cost (in comparison to big French resorts), but I've been twice and both times had long transfers. I don't think you can reach any Andorran resort in under 3 hours Puzzled Happy to be proven wrong though....

The French Pyrenees may be a better option - lower prices than the Alps, several resorts (Cauterets for example) have short transfers, the accommodation is generally pretty good with nice extras such as spas and pools (s/c properties too), and the skiing may suit you both Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kalise25, Where did you do in the first trips?
All I was going to suggest was maybe another resort\ country.
I think the pound has falled with most currencys though. Surprisingly, on BBC yesterday they mentioned that, despit the £\e falling 30%, Norways exchange rate was still the same as 12 months ago. Alcohol, still expensive there though. Sad
queen bodecia, is right about eating out, but if you are going to SC why not France and drive there? Lots of advice on this site about resorts and routes. If you are based in the south the journey time isnt much longer than flights and transfers. (9hrs from Calais is achieveable)
Andora may be relatively cheap but it can take a time to get there from nearby airports.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd try Andorra and Soldeu or El Tartar as part of the Grandvilaria Ski area. We did exactly what you did i.e second ski holiday and enjoyed thwe skiing massively. I'd also reccomend the Hotel Bruxelles in Soldeu, central and right nect door to the lift butr cheaper than the opposition with reasonable food!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the welcome! Very Happy
First trip was Arinsal (crazy busy, but it was half term), and second was Meribel. Meribel was good, but expensive.
Unfortunately, driving's not really an option for us as we live in Scotland (and we're lazy)!
Norway was another thought but the price of booze put us off a little.

I think maybe Austria and the French Pyrenees will be the main focus for now, unless I find some amazing all-inclusive deal somewhere.

Thanks for your help. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kalise25, for Austria, have a look at the Ski Amade area - 45 minutes from Salzburg by car or an hour and a bit by bus, or you can get a train to nearby and catch the regular buses.

Prices are good for accommodation and food, while ski passes and equipment hire are fairly much average. The ski area is huge but not particularly linked, although from Flachau you can reach a good area, from Zauchensee through to Wagrain. All-inclusive deals are rare in Austria unless you go for a hotel, in which case the price goes up considerably. At the low end, a good quality B&B can be found from about €30 per person per night, while 2-person apartments start from about €70 per night for something basic and out of town, and go up to about €200 per night for better locations and extra space. Somewhere like http://www.crystls.at/ can provide a central location and a price under €100 per night if you're happy in a small apartment, and that includes a wellness area with sauna, and access to a swimming pool. They can also do breakfast and dinner as well, if that appeals.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could of course save loads of money and try Scotland Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kalise25, Why not wait till nearer the time and book a late hotel half board deal. I've had some good deals to Soll in Austria and Campitello in Italy, out of the two I think Soll could be better for your level of skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kalise25,
Providing you are not going peak season it is usually quite easy to pick up last minute deals for two people with a pretty decent price reduction. Last year there were not so many in March possibly because of th early Easter. If it was me I would hang on untill aweek or so before going and try and pick up a late deal either half board or chalet. B&Bs are cheap up front but you usually have significant eating out costs. I quite like self catering when with a large group or family who share chores. For a couple it is not so fun IMO.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd agree that a last minute catered chalet deal could be a good bet - but they're mostly in the French alps. Any arrangement where you're buying most of your meals and drinks out, anywhere in euroland, is going to be expensive - Austria might be a bit cheaper than France, but still fairly ruinous at the current exchange rate. If you go for a package you might be able to order equipment and lift passes etc. at a better rate than doing it independently. If going anywhere in France, don't go in the four busy weeks, last three in Feb, first in March. I've not been to Andorra but friends staying with us at the moment, who are very experienced skiers, said they were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the skiing in Pas. But long transfer!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy