Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

looking for help on choosing skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

I`m writing on behalf of son & heir who is looking to buy his first skis.
He skis at a good level (well to compared to me anyway!) and tackles reds and blacks with good confidence.
He tends to hire skis at 155cm in length and has only used the " standard" skis. He weighs around 10 stone and tends to like fast pistes and enjoys moguls and a small amount of off piste. He will try jumps up to about 3 feet but doesn`t really do any freestlye stuff.
I know that he really needs to try before buying so we are looking for some suggestions as to what maybe suitable and also any info on bindings - I know he has mentioned he prefers the one piece bindings.

Big thanks for reading this.

Cheers

Paul
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SH's Paul.

How tall is your son in real life, and how old is he?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

Thanks for the interest.

Sam is aged 17 and is about 5'6". He is quite slim built and weighs just under 10 stone.
I followed a link from http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46761&highlight
but the skis seemed to be only available in quite long sizes at around 175cm. Sam usually uses 155cm skis.

Cheers

Paul
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My knowledge of on piste skis isn't very good I'm afraid, but hopefully some other SH's will help there.

But you can never really go wrong with twin tips, there's no difference in on piste performance between identical skis, one with twin tips and one without.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest the Scott P3:

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/product/864/3143/p3

I have a 2 season old version and it is an awesome ski, great for carving on piste, and for skiing switch (which you should advise Sam to try because its loads of fun and makes you look the mutts.) I never had any problem with these at high speed, and if he got the 168 (perfect for his 5'6" height) then they would probably even provide enough float in powder.

I will of course say that he probably is still growing a bit so be aware that buying skis at this stage will outgrow them in size and probably ability quite quickly. And I'd say to try and test as many skis as you can to get a feel for them. Ellis Brigham has show at all the snowdome and do allow testing (on certain nights, I think)

Hope this is of some help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy