Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"bad" technique - feeling a bit down

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I'm feeling a bit fed up, although maybe I am being too hard on myself:

I’m just back from 5 days in Italy (we bought the 5 day Valle d’ Aosta pass and had 2 days in Pila, 2 days in Gressoney/Monterosa and one day in Courmayeur). The one day we had in Courmayeur was really difficult as it snowed non-stop and you could not see where you were going; at that point, all technique went out of the window and you just had to “ski” and “get down”. It was fresh powder the whole day which makes it a bit more difficult to ski than on prepared pistes.

Out of the 5 days, I would say that 3 of them were (as far I am concerned) spoiled by my bad technique, although my partner kept telling me I was doing “fine”. Certainly on two of the days, the piste and skiing in general, at one point, felt “alien” to me as if it was something I had never experienced or done before (has anybody else ever felt like this?). I also got very frustrated with myself and what I perceived to be my bad technique.

When I was feeling that my technique was “bad”, I began to try and take skiing apart when doing it (I mean – when I was skiing, I would try and talk myself through what I was doing/should be doing) to see if this helps my technique.

Probably like most of us – I sort of know where I am going wrong, although its just a matter of putting it all together (easier said than done!).

Little things were beginning to annoy me like:

I stood up straight on a very slight slope (like when I had a lesson with Easiski in Les Deux Alpes a few years ago) - I flexed the front of my boot on the right side, then on the left side and got it wrong which way the skis would turn.

I don't "drop" my downhill shoulder enough or bring my hips in enough.

I kept stopping when I got into a flow as I thought I wasn't doing things properly.

I also skied like Mr Bean when trying to ski down a narrow piste (the ones that are like a road); this was silly, I should have known how to do this, as Easiski had shown me what to do when we skied down a similar run in Les Deux Alpes (cycling motion).

I also think I am maybe not transferring my weight properly or at the right time.

My partner did say that I don't bend my knees enough.

I don't have any videos or pictures.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-01-09 17:48; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, 1 word- LESSONS
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
jb1970, 1 word- LESSONS

Wot FtS said, especially if you can find a good instructor.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970 wrote:

Out of the 5 days, I would say that 3 of them were (as far I am concerned) spoiled by my bad technique, although my partner kept telling me I was doing “fine”. Certainly on two of the days, the piste and skiing in general, at one point, felt “alien” to me as if it was something I had never experienced or done before (has anybody else ever felt like this?).

Not since my last day in cr@p boots.

Quote:

When I was feeling that my technique was “bad”, I began to try and take skiing apart when doing it (I mean – when I was skiing, I would try and talk myself through what I was doing/should be doing) to see if this helps my technique.

This is way counterproductive. If you're doing things right, there is simply no time for this sort of analysis.

It will paralyse you, your timing will be off, which will throw your balance off, which will give you all sorts of fear and anxiety baggage that you don't need.

Find -ONE- motion cue that everything else depends on, (like "hands forward" or "press into the boot", or whatever). and work with it for the rest of the day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex wrote:
This is way counterproductive. If you're doing things right, there is simply no time for this sort of analysis.

It will paralyse you, your timing will be off, which will throw your balance off, which will give you all sorts of fear and anxiety baggage that you don't need.

Find -ONE- motion cue that everything else depends on, (like "hands forward" or "press into the boot", or whatever). and work with it for the rest of the day.

Very good advice. If I try to talk to myself when skiing to correct a problem I end up skiing like a poorly lubricated robot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One word - lessons, like they said. Another three words - some music, a vin chaud, and r e l a x. Sing to yourself, not talk technique to yourself. Those snowy, poor vis, conditions have a way of making you feel like that though. Anybody can do it right on a nice smooth sunny piste! Get Rick Schnellman's DVDs - a series of excellent, graduated, exercises. I've been out doing them this morning and they really work.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like you are thinking really hard about your skiing. I'm afraid I don't do this at all. I don't analyse my skiing at all, I just do it. I'm pretty sure my technique is non-existent but it doesn't bother me. Let's face it, I'm never going to be trading jobs with Chemmy Alcott!

So my advice is this; quit being hard on yourself and concentrate on enjoying yourself. If you're getting down runs safely and in control, there can't be too much wrong. If you feel your technique needs polishing, then shell out on lessons next time you go...

I'm going to Courmayeur/Aosta Valley in 9 weeks time (very excited already), anything to report...?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lessons will help, mainly because you'll stop focusing on yourself and have someone telling you what to do. I know what you're going through since I've been going to coaching sessions all season so far and had a lot to think about - when I do think about it while skiing it goes horribly, especially on variable snow. You have to be a reactive skier there, there's none of the easy "lock in an edge, that's a turn" stuff that feels good but is super easy on piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i always seem to have at least one afternoon a week when things dont click. chill out, pick on one thing to focus on as the others have suggested and remember it is much more fun being in the mountains than anywhere else...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
i always seem to have at least one afternoon a week when things dont click. chill out, pick on one thing to focus on as the others have suggested and remember it is much more fun being in the mountains than anywhere else...

I can't fault this advice, just remember your there to enjoy yourself. You will have good and bad days, so just take the bad days and look forward to the good ones - they will come. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

was really difficult as it snowed non-stop and you could not see where you were going; at that point, all technique went out of the window and you just had to “ski” and “get down”.

I had the exact same thing on the first day in Tignes before Christmas as other snowHead who were there will attest. Not great, but pointless beating yourself up about it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, just think some of us are still at the stage where we've never got it right yet, and are still waiting for that magic moment rolling eyes . At least you're still getting it right sometimes Laughing

One thing I have noticed with my lessons is on occasions when I have been uptight with a situation the instructor has stopped what we have been doing and has got me doing something to stop me over analysing the skiing like exercises - see if I can ski on one ski, do the tea tray thing with ski poles, or a golf swing with them at a turn etc. Anything to make me think about something other than what I have problems with. They are good for me and the concept works. I once did the lift the ski up thing on the traverse across the mountain and when it came to making the final turn which required the weight to go in the opposite direction it worked brilliantly. Maybe you could do some exercises or something different next time you feel like that?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, It does sound as though you're being a bit hard on yourself. firstly - no-one likes poor viz and we all find it difficult to ski well in it, so not your fault there. Secondly is it possible that as a skier of some considerable talent, you're not used to it feeling not so good? Obviously I can't hazzard a guess as to what wasn't right, but it may not have been anything too big. I second pam w's advice about getting Rick (Fastman's) DVDs. You may not want to do the exercises while on holiday but can probably practise on the placcy when you have a moment. Remember though that anything requiring space is difficult there!

don;t beat yourself up. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, I know exactly how you feel. We skied a few days before Christmas and I know I was skiing badly. I fell a couple of times, when I shouldn't have. I got quite cross and fed up. Usually when I put my skis on for the first time each season, I have lessons from the get-go. It gives me confidence and puts me on track. So, don't berate yourself, just take a few lessons on your next trip. I'm going to - in Lech (13 sleeps). Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970, I agree with the rest, you're being a bit hard on yourself.

Poor visibility pushes everyone's technique and reactions t the limit and "just getting down" is often as good as it gets.

As far as taking your own skiing apart is concerned, its a difficult route to improvement. How we think we ski and reality usually bear no relation at all. Its always quite a shock when we ourselves on video. How can you hope to fix a problem yourself when you don't know what the problem is?

Its essential, with the relatively small amount of slope time most of us get, to get some quality instruction to keep things moving in the right direction.
Personally I find a few hours is all that's needed every other year. I'm sure I'll get some flak for this but you are trying to train your body, your conscious mind has very little to do with it so having endless lessons being told the same thing (and failing to do it well) every time is fairly pointless so take some instruction when you feel your rate of improvement stalling and whenever possible to practice a range of simple drills to train your body to make the necessary moves without having to think about the basic mechanics of things. There are plenty of books and DVD's which can provide useful information not forgetting free on the interweb.

Other than that chill a bit, even a bad day on skis beats most others
ski holidays
jb1970, remember that you like doing this because it's fun! Overanalysis will make problems worse because you will end up fighting yourself (this from experience - I'm much more likely to fall when I overthink things). Accept that you're human Little Angel - sometimes you will f-up. If you let that feeling overwhelm you, you will tense up, and no-one skis or does anything else well when tense. If it happens again - or when, everyone has days when they can't figure out what those things on their boots are for Madeye-Smiley - try this mantra: "Sod this for a game of laughs, where's the next bar?". Tell your partner to try making you laugh - it will relax you. Or find a bar with music and have a minibop. Better still, find a bar with music which is near the top of a chairlift - watching other people make a mull of it getting off can be great for a giggle. Lessons are a great idea, but not in a bad frame of mind - the frustration experienced by oneself is nothing compared to the frustration of a lesson that feels as if it's going badly. Chin up! snowHead
snow report
JB1970, you sound just like me. I've been a few times now, can get down red runs fine, but over analyze how i ski. Me and t'other half are off to Avoriaz at the end of Jan and have decided to have a couple of private lessons to see if I can get rid of some of my bad habits. That's if they are bad habbits of course and not just me Confused lacking in a bit of confidence.

I do like the advice given, have a vin chaud, yum I can't wait.
snow report
I would just like to say thanks to everyone who responded - I feel a bit better now.

I think the key is really to relax and have enjoyment (the rest hopefully will come more or less naturally!). I am, however, going to consider taking one or two private lessons when I go away on 7 February for a week.
snow conditions
jb1970, perfect - exactly right.

Don't stress the 'must do better' side, we all feel like that to some degree, just remember to have fun! If your bf is a better standard than you then don't ski together all day, but maybe just meet up for a couple of hours either side of lunch...
snow report
I will attest to the fact that jonm, skied like a lemon on the first day in Tignes before Christmas wink But then so did everyone, the conditions were just as you described jb1970, crap light and snowing all day, everyone took a few tumbles. The next day was a bluebird day and we were all ski gods (and goddesses) Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy