Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste - Trois Vallees

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there – am staying in Les Menuires at the end of Jan 09 – about 3-4 of us are looking for off-piste stuff. Was thinking of hiring a guide for a day as we don’t know the area – have found two potential companies: originalride.com and prosneige.fr which were recommended on pistehors.com – does anyone have any experience of these companies – or know of a decent private guide?

We’re looking for something reasonably challenging – have done a bit of off piste before and some cat skiing in Canada so not complete novices – but also not going to be jumping off any cliffs. Any other tips/suggestions? E.g. does cat skiing happen in Europe? Can’t find much about it on the web…

Sorry if this has been asked before – had a look around the site and can’t find anything…

Cheers
Alex
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alexwb77, one of our very own snowheads does off piste skiing tours of the 3V's ... his username is offpisteskiing and site is www.offpisteskiing.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What skimottaret said ! ... and welcome to snowheads
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alexwb77, welcome aboard. I don't believe there's any cat skiing in 3V and heli skiing is banned in France. Off piste access is lift assist or leg powered as far as I'm aware.

Can't suggest much on the guide front except the local guides office. If you fancy some background reading http://www.dimple1.demon.co.uk/skiing/skiingindex.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks mate - will let you know if I find anything out...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rich, why is heliskiing banned in France?

I'm sure I've read about it being advertised.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher, I think the heli skiing advertised in France tends to go over the border into Italy to actually do it IIRC
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alexwb77, you have mail
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a very good webpage below:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.summerbell/skiing/skiingindex.html

I'd still recommend a guide, we are finding new stuff with a guide even after going there for 5 years!

regards,

greg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in LM with a few friends over the new year and on our last day we found the off piste descent under the Lac Noir chairlift up on La Masse. It's not terribly difficult and is quite well skied so no danger of getting lost. You can also spot your route from the chair lift and there's a few ways down to make it worth doing more than once. Watch out for the lake on the left at the bottom of the first pitch though!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless you are fairly expert on avalanche danger a guide is the only way to go. There is a huge amount there and not all of it is in the book - however, to find out about 80 of the main routes available you could get the book "Les 3 Vallées Hors-Piste/Off Piste" published by Vamos. It is a dual language (French/English) book of off-piste routes, which should be available in the Village at book shops (and some newsagents or possibly the best ski gear shops). You will need a 1:25.000 map to go with it - also certainly available in the Village.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy