Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which side of Meribel-Mottaret is better to stay in: Le Chatelet or Le Laitelet ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!

I'm organising a ski trip for a group of beginner and intermediate skiers in Feb this year. We've decided to go to Meribel-Mottaret, as we've found some self catering apartments in our budget. We've found several apartments - which are located on opposite sides of the valley - Le Chatelet and Le Laitelet.

I don't know the area and was wondering if anyone out there knows of any positives/negatives of either side of the valley.

Look forward to hearing your views!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simon1978, welcome to snowheads. I think both should be pretty much ski-in ski-out. Le Chatelet is close to the main lifts, next to the Platieres gondola. Le Laitelet is a little further up the hill, next to the Perdrix (green) piste, I believe, and is about a one-minute ski down to the lifts. Le Chatelet is probably better (closer to the centre) for the evenings
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simon1978, Welcome too. I think the Laitelet side is better from the piste access point of view as you can atart out above the lift than links you to Val T etc, which is important from the ski point of view. On the other hand you are way above the majority of apres facilities and the walk back up all those steel steps is a killer. A s a summing-up I would say Laitelet side for ski access and Chalelet for apres. You choose!

Final thought, your beginners would have to come down the Chalets lift or ski the fairly steep (and busy) bit to get to ski school start from the Laitelet side.
It is a flat walk from Le Chatelet. Given that, I think I am coming round to Le Chatelet. I foyu are self-catering the Sherpa is at Chatalet level, too.

snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have stayed in Chatelet side in P&V three times. From there you can ski out down the slalom piste - not too bad a first run in the morning, to get to all the lifts at the bottom, or you can take the funicular thingy to resort level, and ski,or at night walk on the piste in the evenings to get to the restaurants. There's as 8 a Huit [I think] at this far end of this complex that was adequate. It does look nice to ski from the Laitelet side, but you would have the cripples corner end of the blue run to negotiate to get to the Platieres gondola if my memory serves me right. It does look jolly nice round the Laitelet side though if you have an apt on the piste - true ski in and out. The P&V have great views over the valley.

You could try private messaging SkiMottaret - I think he lives out there? Good luck. It is a good place to ski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simon1978, i am a bit biased being on the chatelet side but i prefer it there. a couple reasons. many of the apartments are on a very flat section and easy to walk to the pistes and shops, the few piste side are ski in ski out.

chatelet is the newer section and a lot of the apartments on the laitelet side are quite old and tired. Although they appear on the map to be close to the centre it is quite a steep section up and down the hill to get anywhere and unless you are directly on piste a fair walk generally.

lastly the pubs and restaurants on the chatelet are slightly off the beaten track and are quieter and nicer than the the other side IMO... but Mottaret is a great little village in the heart of the 3V's and you can be at the top of courchevel faster than anyone staying in courch! or get over to VT quite easily, or, just stay above the crowds of Meribel and ski in Gods country all day long Toofy Grin

check out my site for further info..... I am out for 3 weeks on sat and cant wait!!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Le Chatelet although any location in Mottaret is pretty good really even if not totally ski in - ski out.

If you have a look on the web site run by the Meribel Tourist office (probably http://www.meribel.net but I have not checked lately) there used to be a map of all the apartment blocks in Meribel and Mottaret by name so you could see where they were before booking.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy