Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good quality reasonably priced restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
I am going away to Val D'Isere in a couple of weeks and some pals have baulked at the prices for food (as they are the same in Euros as last year) and with the exchange rate as it is, I agree!

There doesn't seem to be any info on here for restaurants in resorts and it might be a good idea if there was, as I'm sure plenty of people could offer sound advice and reviews. For example one in Val d'isere is the Quicksilver bar at the rear of the Quicksilver shop. It does the best burgers I've ever tasted. They aren't too expensive (£12) and make a sound alternative to some of the pricier and somewhat poorer places.

I'm no IT geek so wouldn't know where to start with a format but just thought it was worth a mention.

Might avoid lots of spoilt nights for people on here!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously eating is a bit more important to me than others!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
Obviously eating is a bit more important to me than others!
No it isn't, it isn't! I think a restaurant 'sticky' classified by resort, would be a fantastic idea! Though I suppose it would also be fine if people who wrote trip reports could simply remember the foodies amongst us, and include restos in their reports.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jumping Jack Flash, if you think £12 isn't too expensive for a burger you should be skiing in Courchevel. You can get a better one in Tocade for half the price.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, You see, it is a good idea. Thanks to you I've just saved £6 and will get a better meal!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jumping Jack Flash,

The Tocade in Val D sells the Americane Burger for €4.50 the same price as the frites.

The only thing I don't like about Tocade is their dining room is too cold.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jumping Jack Flash, I think it's a good idea as well! There was a thread running a while back on mountain restaurants in La Plagne, to which I was a contributor (I do like my food!). I agree with Hurtle - let's have a resort restaurant 'sticky'. Or (perhaps better, but obviously more work to set up) a separate section along the lines of Trip Reports... After all, bars & restaurants are a big part of the holiday for many of us!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jumping Jack Flash, with regards to Val, we were there a few weeks ago, & can recommend the restaurant half-way down the Face for lunch - the Boeuf Bourguignon plat du jour at €12 was wonderful! The place at the foot of the pistes down into La Daille (can't remember the name, but it's directly in front of you as you come down OK or Orange) was pretty good as well - we just went to the downstairs snack-bar (very reasonably priced) but the upstairs restaurant looked worth a try, & the place seemed very popular with various instructors, which may be a good sign...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would like to see it as a sticky and will take the time to set it up with headings etc. The only thing is, I don't know how to. If anyone could explain how to go about it, then I will.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not a fan of burgers so any comparisons on price are meaningless to me. rolling eyes

If I am hungry I would have plat du jour, or if looking for a snack it would be a bowl of soup and a roll.
What can I expect to pay in Chamonix this season?

Should I carry a supply of Mars bars instead? Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jumping Jack Flash,
Quote:

The only thing is, I don't know how to

Me neither.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

What can I expect to pay in Chamonix this season?

Chamonix mountain restaurants are generally expensive and poor quality. But there are a couple of places in Le Tour that are worth a visit. There's a good place off the beaten track, a bit of walk up and to the left of the Autannes chair. Steak and chips is about the only thing on the menu but is great value at 10 euros. Be sure to have cash on you tho as this is not the kind of place that takes cards. The second mention-worthy place is near the bottom of the Posettes drag. Good menu with soup, salad and cheesey potatoey stuff at reasonable prices and served with a smile.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for that "Powder Monkey" wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any recommendations for reasonably priced restaurants in chamonix by night? Also, where are the best happy hours fora "reasonable" (if thats possible!) priced beer? is there a happy hour crawl (there was one in queenstown, NZ when i did my season there)?!?!?!

Cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Monkey bar in Cham sud is the cheapest beer in town they do 1euro pints at around 4 o'clock daily I think and two for 1s for a time after that. Chambre 9 opposite the train station does 2 for 1 on spirits between 8 and 10 o'clock. Casa Valerio for the best pizza in town and at reasonable prices. Caveau also good.
snow conditions
Thanks for those recomendations powder monkey, 1euro sounds good to me, shame they don't do real ale as i'd just get Several in at 1 euro each and settle in for the night Very Happy

Will be in town on fri and sat night this week so will probably be found in said bar at said time, i'll even reward your fine suggestions with a pint if your around (at one euro of course... wink )!!!
snow report
So the idea of having a sticky for this seems to be a good one (and it's already yielded cheap pints in Chamonix!) so how can I go about creating this?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy