Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 deaths in separate avalanches within 24 hours in Whistler.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Avy danger: Level 4. High...

Which by definition means: Natural and human triggered avalanches likely.

Yet when I head up onto Whistler there are folk (skiers and boarders) heading under the ropes in all directions! It seems that the lure of fresh powder is just too great for some, and that common sense flies out of the window.

I'd hate to see police on the hills stopping people from heading under the ropes, as I've seen in Italy in the past, and in the USA, but I'm really mystified as to how to stop this suicidal behavior, especially when you'd have to be blind and deaf not to have been made aware of the state of our snow pack and the current avalanche hazard.

The following statement was provided by Whistler Blackcomb.

Quote:
Media Statement

Whistler, BC, January 1, 2009 - Three avalanche incidents have taken place at Whistler Blackcomb in the last 24 hours.

Whistler Blackcomb received 95 cm of snow in the last seven days and has been cautioning all skiers and riders to take extra care and obey all mountain signage in light of the high avalanche warning issued by the Canadian Avalanche Association.

Wednesday, December 31
At 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 31, 2008, the Whistler Blackcomb Ski Patrol Night Search Manager was notified of a missing skier.

The 37-year-old male skier was last seen at approximately 2 p.m. on the Blackcomb Glacier Rescue Road. The Whistler Blackcomb Night Search Manager liaised with the RCMP and Whistler Search & Rescue last night in prepara tion for a search at first light today. Search teams were dispatched to the general location where he was believed to have been skiing. His body was found at 9:35 a.m. this morning while rescue workers were searching avalanche debris in the Ruby Bowl area of Blackcomb Glacier.

Ruby Bowl and the Blackcomb Glacier were designated as outside the ski area boundary at the time of the incident. The area was marked with signage indicating that the terrain was outside the ski area boundary and the avalanche danger rating was high.

Thursday, January 1, 2009
At 1:45 p.m., a slide was reported in the Little Whistler area of Harmony Bowl, located on Whistler Mountain. Harmony Express lift was closed shortly after. A standard search was performed by Whistler Blackcomb patrol using avalanche dogs. No skiers were involved in this slide.

Shortly after the first slide, a second slide occurred in an area called Hidden Chute in Symphony Bowl; an area currently marked as outside the ski area boundary.

There is one fatality confirmed. Whistler Patrol and the RCMP are currently investigating the slide and more details will be released as they are available.

Whistler Blackcomb's Critical Incident Team is providing support to family, friends and those first on the scene to help them through this difficult time. Whistler Blackcomb wishes to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased for these tragic accidents.

The recent weather events throughout British Columbia have created a considerable to high avalanche advisory in many areas throughout British Columbia. While skiing inbounds at Whistler Blackcomb, guests should be aware that they are in a rugged, alpine environment where natural hazards exist and weather can change in an instant. Whistler Blackcomb's experienced team of safety experts, avalanche forecasters and professional ski patrollers do everything they can to prepare the slopes and ensure the safety of guests; however Whistler Blackcomb urges guests to be aware of their surroundings and ability levels at all times, and make responsible decisions on where and what to ski/ride based on the current conditions and advisories. Do not cross closure lines. Stay in bounds and on designated routes. Skiing in the backcountry is not recommended.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These sort of instances are indeed sad and as you say, appears to be more and more common. I feel sorry for the mountain guys who
have to risk there own lifes to try and find these people after a slide.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do realise that we're all (mostly) adult and should be responsible for our own actions, but I think the resorts themselves need to step up to the bar a little. How about a great big poster next to the toilets which reads "One uncontrolled avalanche in Ruby Bowl this week" - rather than like Jackson who are trying to cover up their little problem and threatening people who put up pictures...
Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fernie had a good sign - "If you duck the ropes you will have your pass busted... if you live".

4 guys have just been banned for life from Grouse Mtn (& apparently had their names circulated to all other resorts in BC) for blatantly ignoring direct instructions from a patroller not to enter an area.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy