Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where can my son ski within 1 Hour of Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
My son is a first officer with a private jet company, and he has a stopover for three days in Geneva from 15th Jan. He wants to ski for 2 of the days, but needs to be within 1 hour max of Geneva airport in case he is called out for an extra flight. Any suggestions Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brian T, Samoens, Morillon, maybe Les Carroz/Sixt just. Grand Massif is c. 50 minutes with Morillon the nearest to the road down. Shame he can't borrow the jet Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samoens, Morillon, Les Gets, Chamonix, La Clusaz, Les Contamines, Megeve.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brian T, There's also St Gervais, which is about an hour away (forgot that one and I was there this summer Embarassed )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brian T, check this site out: http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html I found it very useful.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Brian T,

Nice work. Where did he do his training? I have just finished my ppl
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix takes 45 mins if you drive quite fast!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Les Carroz (although I'm slightly biased)!!

Of the Grand Massif resorts it's the closest and quickest to Geneva.

Possibly St Gervais is the same travel time from GVA but the skiing area is limited, Les Contamines needs more than an hour as does Chamonix (trust me I used to drive transfers GVA to Les Contamines in a car)...

We've got a room if he's interested!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flaine - I've just booked and the transfer company are saying approx 1.5 hours, but I am sure would be around the hour mark in a rental car. Great skiing I've been lead to believe, but quiet night life.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I presume that if time from the airport is a factor then so is the time it'll take to get off the mountain?

In which case I'd say Les Houches is his best bet as it's not more than 15 minutes to the base from the top and the base is almost directly off the A40.

Whilst you can certainly get to all of stevo_the_saddler's suggestions in an hour, they're all 15-25 minutes away from the A40 and subject to the vagaries of local traffic. So, for instance, both Cluses (for Les Gets, Samoens, Morrillon) and Sallanches (for Megeve) can get snarly at the wrong time of day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grand Massif or the Porte de Soleil - plenty of transfer companies to get him there and lots of accomodation to chose from at that time of year
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus, Quicker than Morillon and Samoens? Really? I guess it depends which route you go wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm. I doubt if you could get from "up the mountain" to Geneva airport - reporting for duty - in an hour from any of those places. Even if you assumed no traffic, and no hold up at the border.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, The beuuty of Samoens and Morillon is the lack of "up the mountain" type roads - neither have the usual windy road bit, esp if you leave the A40 at J15. We have done the airport within the hour... but it is a close thing. People say Flaine is under an hour... that would be more tricky!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brian T, There is skiing on the Jura at Crozet, Col de la Faucille and Dole which is easily within an hour of GVA. You can see the line under the lift at Crozet from the terminal buildings when there is snow on the Jura.
snow report
Quote:

We have done the airport within the hour.

? From skiing, or from base? If I got a call from the top of my local hill, from which you can see our apartment, a minimum five minute run below, it would take an absolute minimum 10 minutes to be in the car and switching on the ignition. In one busy car park last week it took me ten minutes just to get out onto the road, as the car park was full of people wandering round, taking their boots off, or queueing for the exit.

If you were even one lift away from the car, in any of those areas, you'd have no chance, however recklessly you were prepared to drive.
snow report
Brian T, what method of Transport ? I mean if he's restricted to public transporet he will have to be closer to the airport than if he uses a helicopter wink
snow report
pam w, Se what you are saying... I wasn;t taking getting ski boots off into account. Assumed he would have some lee-way i.e. if he was at home he may be in the bath or up a ladder Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, I can see him now, striding through the terminal in his ski-boots - lets face it, the trip to the airport would be quick with a ski-boot on the accelerator snowHead
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
marcellus, Quicker than Morillon and Samoens? Really? I guess it depends which route you go wink

I reckon so yes..... having lived in Morrillon and Les Carroz and frequently done both trips the probability is that it's quicker GVA to Les Carroz than GVA to Morrillon.

True you have no "twisties" on the route to Morrillon but the disadvantage of Morrillon is you have to go through some form of "urban area" regardless of which route you take, whereas to Les Carroz you only have 10km from the Autoroute up a "semi twisty" which is usually quite fast flowing until you get to the village itself.

If you wanted to remove that risk why not stay in L'Arache with is less than 5minutes from the Telecabin in Les Carroz.
ski holidays
For absolute closeness I would agree with CP unfortunately there's not enough to keep you occupied for 2 days.
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
I have just finished my ppl

Congratulations johnboy! (Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere)
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
For absolute closeness I would agree with CP unfortunately there's not enough to keep you occupied for 2 days.

If the snow is low and you can ski down to Lelex and Mijoux I think you clould eek out 2 days on this part of the Jura. But saying that I lived within sight of the lift at Crozet for 4 years and there were not many times that there was enough low snow for all runs to be complete.
ski holidays
Many thanks for info.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy