Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vienna to Obertaurn

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

We are finally going skiing and having watched the Pound fall against the Euro, our hotel has now become very expensive, so the other people in our party decided to book a flight to Vienna instead of Salzberg which has saved about £700.

Now, I am getting a little worried about how we get from Vienna to Obertaurn as it seems a very long way!!!

Have others done this and if so do people have prices of coaches, minibuses, taxis etc ?

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Audiman, welcome to snowHeads. Don't tell me... you drive an Audi.

Yes, it is a long way. I've driven Vienna to Schladming and, from memory, it took around 4 hours. I'm guessing that your best bet will be the train. There will be a fast Vienna-Salzburg service and best way onwards from their might be taxi or another train/taxi (no Obertauern tain station).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking at this site I'd check trains through to Radstadt, and then take the postbus. Oh and welcome to the forum.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are looking at thr train timetables are hear
http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp
Have you been to Obertauren before? we are off there on 31st
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, don't drive an Audi anymore as all the A holes who used to drive BMW's seem to have now got Audi's instead and drive accordingly!!!!!. The train also seems quite expensive and are now wondering about perhaps hiring a car instead!

Is this a suicidal idea? are the roads OK are are they V dangerous for a person that lives in Lincolnshire, which is, well......flat!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're thinking about hiring a car and driving, the roads from Vienna to Radstadt will be completely fine, mainly motorway and kept clear of snow. It is quite a long drive though, as per Bode Swiller, around 4 hours if no significant problems. It is usually not stressful driving though, motorways are a lot quieter than here so it feels more like cruising rather than the M1/F1 scrum that we have to deal with!

After Radstadt, getting up to Obertauern involves driving up the valley, which is a bit twisty and turny, so if it's snowing you just need to take it slowly. It's not switchbacks full of coaches getting stuck though, more windy up the valley, not up the side of a mountain. It is also cleared of snow pretty quickly, so you won't get stuck or anything. The only thing that I would worry about is that this is after a long drive and when you're tired, it's just the time you will make mistakes, or try to rush, just on the bit you need to take it easy on. If it were me, I would say do the drive, but swop drivers at Radstadt so that a fresh driver does the snowy bit.

I've probably made it sound worse than it is, but really, it is absolutely fine and not a suicidal idea at all, just take it easy going up to Obertauern from Radstadt.

Have fun, driving in Austria is pretty easy and very scenic!

D
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forgot to mention, the train will be about EUR80 return, it's just based directly on the number of km. They are however very reliable, but if there's more than 2 in your group, a car will probably work out cheaper.

D
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the reply. I think I had got myself into a stew about the idea! We drove up to Rhonda in Spain a few years ago and it was ratehr scary with mad drivers and ungaurded roads with huge drops off the side!

I just found myself thinking that if it was like that with snow also in the mix, I would not fancy it.

It does seem to be the cheapest option with 4 in the car.

Will we need to buy the snow tyres option or is it not necessary for this drive uop to Obertauren?

Many thank
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Audiman, Flying into Vienna It will add 420 miles to your round trip. 210 each way, so allow 3-4 hours depending on conditions and traffic. Resort is a further hour from Salzburg. As said above the road to Radstadt id great. I would have thought the car would come with snow tyres....if notthe go for the option and chains.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 7-01-09 11:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, it's not scary at all, and Austrian drivers and roads are on the whole not like the Spanish! They engineer the most amazing roads through valleys and over mountains, all complete with guard rails and everything!

Cars hired in Austria in the winter will have winter tyres anyway usually, so you don't need to pay extra for them, they will be on all the cars. You would have to pay extra for chains though, and whether or not you need them will depend on whether it is actually snowing at the time you hit Radstadt (and just as importantly, at the time you want to leave OT to come back down on the way home. They clear the roads pretty quickly, but you can still be delayed if the snow arrives at just the wrong time. If it were me, I would get chains, as have several times been driving (with chains) merrily past drivers stopped by police and prevented from driving further because they didn't have chains. There are a lot of people who will say 'but you don't need chains if you have winter tyres', well that is very often true, but if the police are only letting those with chains continue, that argument doesn't really hold water! They're only EUR30 between the four of you anyway, so it's up to you.

D
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Austrian drivers and roads are on the whole not like the Spanish

Indeed. Driving in Austria scares me more than driving in Spain. Toofy Grin Actually, I'm not kidding.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what - overtaking on a blind corner.... in Austria... never!
i always seem to be driving far too slowly....

BUT - easy drive (bit long though)

The road up to Obertauern is only a problem if it is snowing at the time of driving. There is enough traffic and clearing for it to be fine all other times.
The road is a mandatory snow chain road so you 'must' be carrying them.... so if the police are doing a check and you don't have them you will get in trouble... but you probably won't need them.

If you get a train then the postbus runs up to Obertauern quite regularly (or you can get a taxi transfer - i recommend Huber Reisen +43 6457 2402
I use them for all our transfers.

I'm guessing you have got your accommodation sorted in Obertauern?... if not then why not look at other places on the train route... Schladming, Pichl, Radstadt, Zell...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we did this last year, vienna to grobming (near schladming). It was an easy drive but as everyone says, long. Wouldn't do it again in a hurry due to the distance. I've done the trip from salzburg, linz, graz and vienna and vienna was by far the most stressful, due to the distance and the cr*ppy airport.
Linz is worth considering if you ever do this again, Ryanair fly there (as well as graz) often very cheaply, nice and small airport, good autoroute connections etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did this trip last March, coming from Salzburg on the way in and then out to Vienna on the way back. The drive isn't too bad. The vast majority of it will be normal roads. The last bit it just like any other road up the side of a mountain. Nothing too scary. The views on the drive over are fantastic though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The drive shouldn't take 4 hours unless there is a serious snowstorm. I remember it being about 3.5 at the most. If you want to save money, don't stay at obertaurern go down valley to the amazingly cute towns of tweng or maunterndorf they are much more austrian. You can probably rent an apartment there for 80 eur/night.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy