Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet fitting - how tight does it have to be?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just bought a helmet for the first time. It is a Giro Ember, bought from S&R and I was helped by a guy there as I tried on a few. I am happy with the fit, in that it seems to fit the shape of my head very well after trying on a couple of other makes which really didn't. But after reading the Giro booklet I am wondering if I should have gone for a smaller size. This one has one of those adjustable dial things at the back to tighten it up. When I put the helmet on and tighten it up properly it is a good snug fit all round BUT if I really try I can move it slightly and so this is the basis of my question, should it be so tight that I cannot move it separately from my head at all? Or is this slight movement ok? I fear that if I go smaller the helmet may be too tight to be comfortable.
Thanks a lot snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For giro helmets you the lid should stay on if you lean forward such your head is upside down.

Tux
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A little bit of movement is fine. Giro say that their helmets should be just tight enough so that if you slowly rock the helmet forward/backward slightly it will cringle/stretch the skin of your forehead - if you follow what I mean.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
if, when you wiggle the helmet backwads and forward your eyebrows move, that's fine. If it's too small, and uncomfortable, you'll end up not wearing it, which rather defeats the purpose. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, I was told when I bought mine, that as long as it doesn’t move down over your eyebrows when you nudge it up from behind, or slip backwards when you nudge it up from the front, it is tight enough. I have worn helmets for horse riding and the criteria is much the same; you have to imagine an impact on the rim, and be sure that this doesn’t shunt the helmet into a situation where it either drops down and breaks your nose (and exposes the vulnerable area at the base of the skull) or forces it backwards so the rim pushes into the cervical vertebrae at the back of the neck and leaves the forehead exposed. In other words, it needs to stay in place, (as others have said). If it’s so tight though, that it creates pressure on the skull, you will end up with a blinding headache!

You also have to make sure you can slide the arms of the sunglasses inside, without them pressing hard against your head, this was why I chose one with soft ear pieces rather than the full helmet like the ones motor bike riders use, and children, not quite as much protection below the ears, but far more comfortable, and if the sun comes out, you can remove the ear pieces altogether. I tried quite a few on, all the same size that were measured to be right for me, but all felt quite different, I ended up with a junior one to get it small enough, with the same adjuster you have on yours. The sizing on the helmets are about as accurate as the sizing on ski boots! rolling eyes

Check that your goggles fit too, some are too big to use with a helmet.

If you are unsure, go back to the shop, try the smaller one, and walk around in it for a while, you should be able to tell quite soon if it's too tight, it will be a relief to get it off!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys.
tuxpoo, If I lean over head upside down it doesn't come off even with strap unfastened so that test passed.
spyderjon, pam w, yes if I move it forward and back gently it gives me an 'eyebrow lift'! But if I move it more forcefully I can slide it back from just above my eyebrows to my hairline, so maybe too much?? But like Pam says if it's too tight I won't wear it and it feels snug generally. If I hold the helmet still I can move my head side to side very slightly.
sharon1953, If I thump the rim at the front it slides back up to my hairline, if I thump it at the back it moves forwards over my eyes.

I think I had better go back and try the size smaller, although the guy in the shop was happy with it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then again it might be ok, I have just taken it off and I have got a bit of a headache, maybe I was thumping it too much Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953 wrote:
..........Check that your goggles fit too, some are too big to use with a helmet. ..

That is a biggy. I bought a helmet only to discover that it would not accept a comfortable fit for my goggles - not any other pair that I looked at buying. Unfortunately, I did not discover the problem until I had worn the thing for several days - since it was fine with my sunglasses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953 wrote:
........You also have to make sure you can slide the arms of the sunglasses inside........

Sunnies with a helmet.......Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
sharon1953 wrote:
........You also have to make sure you can slide the arms of the sunglasses inside........

Sunnies with a helmet.......Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yes Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, got ya in just 6 minutes - too easy NehNeh Laughing Razz
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can you get foam fit helmets (similar to boots)?
Surely this would be the ideal.. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, Never wear my goggles unless it's windy, snowing or flat light, helmet or no helmet! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went back to the shop today as I needed to buy new goggles after my husband tried to polish out a big scratch from my old ones, he failed and the lens was a completely fogged, scratched mess Mad Note to self, never let husband anywhere near goggles again, he scratched them in first place too!
Anyway every cloud and all that....I now have a nice new pair of replacement Anthems and the fit of my helmet was checked and all is well, especially with the goggles on, that helmet is going nowhere Very Happy

Thanks to all for your advice snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy