Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Housemaids Knee?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend knocked the front of her knee a couple of weeks ago walking into a coffee table.
On Tuesday she woke up in considerable pain and very limited use of her knee and on examination she had a swelling on top of her kneecap (patellar) which appears to be patellar busitis or as its more commonly known "housemaids knee" (this from our research on the internet as its impossible to get a short notice doctors appointment at the moment).
We have treated with Ibrufen, ice packs and Ibulieve which is gradualy causing the swelling to reduce and she is getting more movement in her knee.
The problem is that we have a familly ski holiday to Italy on Saturday next week and she is worried about the length of time full recovery will take and what steps she could take (knee braces?) to prevent a re-ocurrence whilst we are away.
We are trying to get an appointment with a Physio but if anyone has any experience of this problem or advice that would be a great help.
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you are doing the right thing as it's improving - no doubt she is resting with it elevated too? I am sure one of our trusty medics as well as people who've had a similar experience will be along soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve.S, sounds like she had a bleed into her prepatellar bursa - these can be drained, but generally better treated the way you're doing. Make sure that she is taking at least 400mg ibuprofen three times per day (600mg would be better)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve.S, I would concur with Nick L, but would add that your girlfriend needs to avoid local pressure over the bursa (swelling) as much as possible so a brace would be the wrong thing. The can go quickly or be remarkably persistent, but the soreness willl settle quite speedily. A home made doughnut of padding around the bursa might help on the slopes, with apres ski (and I presume she's not boarding?) icing. I stopped sticking needles into these things years ago after a worrying incidence of secondary infections.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin Nicholas, I forgot to write "take the ibuprofen providing she has no meidcal history which contraindicates this e.g. duodenal ulcer"
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My other half suffers from this, she developed it after bruising her tendon on a ski trip. Unfortunately she still suffers from it, quite badly at times, however her physio recommended acupuncture and it started to help her a fair amount after only a few sessions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn awful problem, i have it from riding my DH rig with a low sadle. Feels like my knee is being cut open by a hot saw. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve.S, the strange thing in the story to my (non-professional) eyes is that it was 2 weeks from the injury to the symptoms appearing. I gave my knee in a couple of big bangs a few years ago (heavy landings on a dry-slope), and the swellings came up pretty much immediately. First time it took a few weeks to get adequate movement back, but the second time (swelling about the size of a grapefruit and clearly an internal bleed causing bruising from thigh to ankle) I was walking on it reasonably successfully (i.e. Corsica coast-to-coast) a few days later. I took the odd Nurofen and I was persuaded to lather it in Arnica, but whether that made any difference at all I don't know. I did use a neoprene knee support, although that sounds like it was the wrong thing to do (although it did stop the swelling wobbling about). Even when I was having trouble walking, funnily enough it didn't affect the skiing at all (only problem was walking downhill/stairs). It's left me with a chronic slight swelling, but very little functional impairment (just an irritating click when going from locked straight leg to bent - if I keep my knees bent I'm fine).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, just back from the physio we will both be skiing next week (not me and the physio that is rolling eyes ).
She said that my GF will have to forgo the black runs but as she always does apart from my dodgy map reading on occasions then we are hot to trot Very Happy.
Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy