Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody got 5 minutes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

have been on the outside until fairly recently, but now signed up as a newbie.

great forum all, love it.

just wondered if anyone out there has a couple of minutes to help me with an idea.

I find myself with more time on my hands at the moment and am mulling over the idea of moving my love of skiing from hobby/passion to some sort of business.

Trouble is, I cant decide which route within the skiing industry to go down.

So what i am after from you guys, is maybe a couple of ideas on things that really annoy you when you book a holiday that you want sorting or what services you would maybe pay for.

perhaps not making myself too clear, but instead of setting up a business and finding no-one wants the product, I am researching what products people want before i start.

for instance:
cheaper travel, lift passes, accom, guiding, weather reports, clothing, equipment, kids,

any help apppreciated

thanks
Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
one thing i look for is all inclusive accommodation (full board, skis, lift passes lessons) maybe you could sort out those sort of deals
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fuego, welcome to SH - glad you've started posting!

Only thing I can think of that annoyed me this year is the lack of good info about train travel. Despite such a thing being mentioned on the website, nobody actually seemed to offer any straight through rail fares to Europe from UK stations other than stations directly on the Eurost@r route. I wanted to go by train but on being offered a fairly good airfare took it as the rail fares weren't even published at that date. Someone acting as middle man and negotiating some good deals with train companies for point-to-point travel, bookable early enough to compete with the budget airlines would be good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fuego, someone mentioned to me about snowBoard hire the other day.... apparently you can't get snowboards of a high quality in resort, generally they are all the same?

OTOH you could go into most rental places and pick up a pair of GS skis without any kind of waiver Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fuego, There may be in certain resorts a market for English style tea rooms . One or two Italian ski resorts have tea rooms that do good business.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Undercut the competition on resort/airport transfers? For independent travellers, the transfer is often one of the most expensive aspects of the trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fuego, Or attempt to catch last minute deals and do all the research on behalf of groups of young skiers and boarders.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, that's true - Vallandry from Geneva cost an arm & a leg last year at half term. Ben's Bus seems to be doing well from Grenoble - there's probalbly openings for a similar service to other resorts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think there is a gap in the market concerning a bus company from airports to resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Board hire definitely needs shaking up.

I've been offered knackered 3-4 year old boards for the same price that mates have renred this seasons 'must have' skis.

I sometimes thiink you could buy on ebay, throw it away after two weeks use and still have done better all round.

Witness my requests for board rental shop recommendations in Cham. There were none, which I now know to be because there are none.

Whatever you do, marketing will be as important as quality of service, so factor that into your overhead calcs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jwhiteley1 wrote:
one thing i look for is all inclusive accommodation (full board, skis, lift passes lessons) maybe you could sort out those sort of deals

You might like these people (I'm off there for about the 30th time on Saturday!)

http://www.simonbutlerskiing.co.uk/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, thanks a lot, the summer activities look particularity interesting!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree on the airport - resort transfers. Have looked into a private transfer from Chambery to Peisey and cheapest quote so far is 550 Euros (return) so it looks like the over heated, slow TO bus is the only option again.....Was thinking this must be a market to break into, on any summer holiday you get private transfers as an option at a reasonable price (and some of those journeys are long as well).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly, fuego, trains - definitely! with SNCF not posting / opening bookings until 60 days before travel, there is a definite need for more info sooner. Railbookers and Cantebury do a good job, but they seem to have their hands tied when it comes to straight through processing for ther whole trip, and it all get a bit edgy.

Crack the French cartel and you'll be onto a winner.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like the idea of all inclusive as well. Personally, I like the accommadation to be cheap and cheerful, the food to be reasonable and nourishing, but not fancy.
snow report
Just remember people he is looking to set up a business and therefore wants to make a living from the venture not looking at saving anyone money but to make money......
snow report
I just had a look at the train options for March when I would be travelling from a regional UK station via Doncaster or Sheffield to London and then on to Grenoble. I cannot find ANY straight through fare options even from London. The journey appears to have to be costed leg by leg. The London/Paris element comes out at about £90, the Paris to Grenoble (change at Lyon) at about £70. Then there is the cross-Paris bit and the getting to London from here (1 or more changes) at £74, not even considering that the timings could require ovenight stops in London. Overall the cost would be something like £230 plus getting across London & Paris & overnighting. It just would not be an option, even given the fact I'd prefer to go by train. I have coughed up £114 for Ryanair (incl all the various "extras") and will have to pay 1/3rd of carparking and travel to the airport - which is still far cheaper and will be quicker than the train.

The train, apart from the specific ski trains, appears to be a non-starter and it seems to me that there would be a good market especially for packages including travel in the uk and resort transfers.
snow conditions
Offer the seamless weekend or long weekend to Flaine at a budget price. This would cover 1 ) meet client's own easyjet flight to Geneva. 2 ) transfer and return . 3 Aujon or apartments , the latter with linen already in room for midnight arrival . 4 ) information package on ski hire, eating out , lunchtime rendezvous spots, so Clients could be on snow at earliest moment next mornin. . 5 ) cater for groups where some can do just arr. Fri night, ski sat and Sun and depart Sun night : and others might arrive Thurs night and depart Mon night, and combinations of this.

Then let me know. I could find a few takers.

I mention Flaine as it is high , has short transfer, and has a bit of night life. I would accept others of this specification .I am sure there would be a good market. You could , in due course, offer upmarket but I see the market as the working lad/lass with no spare holiday days and little spare cash. Also me, retired, might just wangle a long weekend as an extra if not too dear. Lots of UK Ski Clubs would be up for it, I am sure.
latest report
Not trying to pour cold water on this, but do you think this is a good time to set up this kind of enterprise? If you actually want to make a living rather than just subsidise your snow time?

Europe (the Alps in partic) is all set up to take a big hit this coming/next year. The only thing that may help is if the Euro does fall off a cliff (as some predict) at least the Brits'll have more disposable, relatively.

John.

Flak jacket primed............
ski holidays
fuego, What we're desparately shor tof here is an independent child minder/baby sitter.
snow report
Go to a really popular resort for the kids say Pas de la casa or similar and open up a large, ten euro a shot, chinese or curry buffet joint! In fact, do it anywhere and it would probably work....although I don't know if it would stack up!maybe have to charge 12 euros!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy