Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It never snows anymore

Poster: A snowHead
When I was a kid (I'm 41 now) everyone owned a sledge. Hardware shops sold them or your Dad built one.
I lived on the Notts/Derbys border and our school had a big hill. Top station is about 130 metres according to my sat nav and the slope was about 300 metres long. It was as good as a Snowdome (as far as I remember)

There was snow and sledging to be had every winter without fall. Sometimes quite big falls, you needed to dig out the car at least a few times a year.

On the pavements, we would make slides of snow and ice and they would last for ages (even with the adults throwing ashes and salt down)

Whats happened? No one has a sledge anymore.

Perhaps i remember this http://www.wacv.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105:december-1981-january-1982-part-2&catid=7:kevinsarea&Itemid=6
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
climate change?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
up4it, I'm a similar age and I have similar memories... despite being near the South Coast. I miss it Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our last big fall was 05...

Click for bigger images.

776954159a2719796662b331453639l

Winter 2005 005

Has just been cold and try the last couple years..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv,

Last time we had snow like that was Dec 1995. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, weird, I am not really so far from N.I, well the Irish sea coast. You can see Arran from here which I believe you could easily see from Larne on a clear day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You probably lived not far from where I live now. We do get snow every winter (twice so far this season) but it doesn't seem as deep or long lasting as the snows I remember from my childhood. It's certainly been cold enough for it this winter. I also remember warmer and significantly drier summers. I expect this is where climate change is leading us. We'll have the same dreary mild rainy climate all year round eventually...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the snow we had in Dec laid for a week around here, which is the longest I remember it staying for eons....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
These photos from 1979 are phenomenal:

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=bg&id=1626
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
up4it, I used to ice climb in Wales every year Crying or Very sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1981/2 was a mini nuclear winter caused by Mt St. Helens 1980 eruption. I doubt we'll see snowfalls in the UK until another big one blows.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, What the hell happened there??? Damn explorer froze on me GRRRRRRR Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I remember reading somewhere recently that the Met Office has predicted a run of colder winters for the UK after the recent mild ones. Hopefully this will mean more snow than we have had the last few years.
snow report
chris, any particualar one?
latest report
I remember the village I grew up in(staffordshire moorlands) been cut off for over a day because the snow was deeper than the dry stone walls about 5ft.

when I started to work I had to leave the house 20minutes earlier in the winter just to dig the car out and defrost it.

Nowadays a few flakes brings the country to a halt. They don't make 'em like they use to.
ski holidays
chrisb, if the Yellowstone Caldera erupts, there will be snow 12 months of the year in the UK, for many years to come.
latest report
Whitegold,

Great pics.

arv,

Just local geography, I guess. We rarely get large amounts of snow. I am 3 miles from the coast. 20 miles inland gets loads in comparison.
snow report
up4it, I'm nearly 41 and remember it as you do. I used to live near to Nottingham and go sledging on Wollaton Park as a child.

Where did you live up this way ?, as I have lived on the Notts/Derby border for the past 19 years.
latest report
I couldn't be more 'on the border'. My address is Nottingham, my council tax is Amber Valley in Derbyshire. Go figure...

It's about as far from the coast as is possible in the UK, so we do get some very cold nights, Tuesday night was -5ºC. Brrr. But only a few paltry flakes of snow...
snow report
The Pen-y-Fan massif delivered in 2004/05

http://adrenalintrip.net/powder-brecon-beacons/forum/viewtopic/1/76501?siteid=1&topictype=5&132
ski holidays
2008 we had snow later in the year (April) and earlier (October) than I can ever recall around us.
snow conditions
chris, wow is that true? I remember getting a Scalextric set and then building a snowman on Xmas day 1981, those were the days...
ski holidays
tommy10pages, try this..http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7y.html
There is some heavy stuff, but scroll down to 'Volcanic Eruptions' for an explanation.
snow conditions
tommy10pages, probably, but as there will be no food production as a result, most of us will be far too dead to enjoy the skiing
snow conditions
up4it, careful what you wish for!!
latest report
within the next week or two........................ snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It snowed last night in Notts/Derbyshire! A mere dusting...
ski holidays
Quite a covering around Gloucester this morning. After a week of entirely negative temparatures (a couple of days ago it didn't get above -3C), we finally get some snow! snowHead
snow conditions
1cm of beautiful powder on the steeps of Highgate at 7.30am this morning as I walked to the tube. Mine were the third set of footprints down my road this morning, after another human and what I can only describe as something almost velociraptor-ish. Too big for a dog Shocked
latest report
A bit more in Notts/Derbyshire last night, but very icy and crusty...
snow report
Snowed in Brighton this morning, which is a rarity.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Yes we had a dusting of Icy Snow this morning, not enough for me to ge the sledge out though.
ski holidays
Quite a good layer in Walsall/Midlands area, quite stange 'cause I work in Stoke and they usually get double of what we get yet this morning as I got further up north it got less and less! A bit more tonight and I might throw the board in the car and hit a dry slope on the way home!
snow report
manicpb wrote:
'cause I work in Stoke

Oh so your the one Wink
latest report
Dwarf Vader wrote:
manicpb wrote:
'cause I work in Stoke

Oh so your the one Wink

I'm not proud of it! Embarassed
snow report
Im thinking this thread is quite ironic after the last 7 days!!!! Smile Very Happy wink
snow report
LOL! This thread came to mind last week, but I couldn't find it...

Incidentally the fresh snowfall from last night has more or less disappeared now as it's been raining all evening. What a shame...
latest report
chris wrote:
1981/2 was a mini nuclear winter caused by Mt St. Helens 1980 eruption. I doubt we'll see snowfalls in the UK until another big one blows.

So what went? NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy