Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you have to wear goggles when wearing a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
The reason I ask is that I was thinking about getting a helmet and I am not a great fan of goggles. I normally wear the Adidas Evil Eye sunglasses with an optical insert as shown below. They give good protection and I would prefer to use them than goggles but I'm not sure if they would fit while wearing a helmet.

http://www.vision3k.com/brands/adidas-sunglasses/evil-eye-pro-l-a126.asp

If I need to get goggles, how do I get around the prescription lens issue as I expect inserts will be very expensive (They were for the sunglasses)? Can I wear normal glasses underneath? My normal glasses are minimal anyway:

http://www.kounopt.com/DSC/DSC01142.jpg

What's recommended?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Malcy, I wear sunnies with my helmet all the time, as I too hate wearing goggles unless absolutely necessary. I am informed, however, that this is seriously uncool. Ho hum. I'm even more uncool in that the goggles I already had before I bought the helmet, and which I am too mean to replace (also I like them, as goggles go) leave a tiny gap between goggle and helmet edge. That is the ultimate solecism, there is no help in me.

There have been a few threads about prescription issues - try searching 'prescription and goggles' that should throw something up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear a helmet all of the time. I only wear Goggles when absolutely necessary, I'm quite happy wearing my Adidas Shield Sunglasses when the weather is good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Malcy, if Spyderman says it's OK, it's OK. He is one cool, fashion-conscious dude (hence his name, of course). Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Malcy, best thing is to take your eyeware to the helmet shop and see how they mesh. I can happily wear glasses with my helmet (a Giro 9) though I do prefer goggles.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Malcy, I've worn ordinary specs under goggles with my helmet, but have had a few problems with fogging, and it's also a lot of clutter. I bought prescription inserts, with just my distance prescription, which were quite cheap, bought in Albertville (they're probably cheaper in the UK now, with the exchange rate).

I also wear sunglasses with the helmet, though on cold days (of which there are a lot coming up) I find goggles much warmer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, But then again Spyderman can get away with these 'fashion faux pas' on account of the fact that nobody can take their eyes off his lurid boots.... Toofy Grin

Gosh... is that the time?..... Must dash..... Skullie
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schuss in Boots, here's your coat - go, go, go! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schuss in Boots, My Boots are very tasteful now. You've missed so much while you've been dying in your cave. Anyway, have you got rid of those hideous trousers of yours yet? wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The Giro helmets look quite good, but I know that like many things it's all down to fit in the end.

I'll pop into EB in Manchester soon with my sunglasses, I may get to their Rossendale outlet store on this Sunday if it's open.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, If it appears uncool then you are just ahead of the game. Make it cool and the herds will follow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fiends don't let friends wear sunglasses with a helmet...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, Don't be silly... of course they do... then take the P unmercilessly for the rest of the holiday Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, true! or they suddenly have bladder problems. pretty much same thing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing Nice try.... knew I should have posted it in the snowboard section... wink

Spyderman, As I recall, we only have your word for that... having searched high and low I can find no evidence to support your outrageous claims wink Toofy Grin (and you will be very pleased to know that my very stylish pants may be forced into early retirement due to the appearance of an unplanned vent in the nether regions... it may have been the stylish fall I executed.... or it may have been the mince pies.... either way... I admit nuffink) Little Angel
snow conditions
fess, You're not advocating introducing a clamp into urinary catheterisation are you? Laughing
snow conditions
I think helmets with removable ear pieces are more likely to work with glasses - much comfier in warm weather too! whether you can pull off the look though...
ski holidays
Good point Scarpa.

Malcy - please go ahead and post a picture here for us wink
snow report
FFS you sad people, wear whatever you like with your helmet. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Always where somthing on your helmet Shocked
ski holidays
Renry, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Malcy,

Quote:

Can I wear normal glasses underneath? My normal glasses are minimal anyway:

To get back to the orignial question - you can wear glasses under some goggles. Look for those mark 'OTG'. You will, of course, have twice the fogging problem compared to just goggles. I've found the best solution is helmet, contact lenses and goggles. Sunnies are just for lunchtime snowHead
snow report
Malcy, Single-day contact lenses + either! I've done it all ways and decided to give lenses a go last trip. Worked brilliantly and wasn't hard to get used to. Worth a try unless there's a particular reason you can't use them. Cheaper for a box of lenses than prescription glasses etc.
snow report
You are right, it would be the best solution but I haven't been able to wear contacts since I had some medical problems with my eyes. Shocked

I'll have another word with the optician though as contact lens technology changes rapidly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy