Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh My God - booked the ferry for Feb half term - Laax now booked

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Yesterday booked the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam - overnight on Friday 13th Shocked Feb.

My wife and I have done DIY car hire and accomodation from Geneva to Les Gets and La Clusaz previously but this will be our first family full drive to the alps from the UK holiday - feeling excited but more than a little daunted Neutral

We were already booked for La Plagne for easter so this is an extra holiday and we are doing this on a budget - as far as this is possible at Half Term Mad

So, we are hoping for ideas on getting some reasonable half term accomodation in a resort offering plenty for a family of 4 (kids aged 8 and 13). We are looking for blue/red run piste cruising slopes !

We have never stayed in a chalet before but would like to consider this as well as appts if its a viable option.

Suggestions on resorts and ideas for finding self catering accomodation at half term would be really appreciated and any other advice on the driving route, where to purchase snow chains etc would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-02-09 13:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why go the Alps, if there is good snow in the Vosges or the Pyrenees.
Good accommodation may be difficult to find, but there are lots of websites to try and the search facility above will provide links.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hairy Boy, I think I'd be inclined to head towards Austria (especially if starting on Rotterdam); the roads down to the French resorts will be horrendous, even if the weather is good, and there's very little accommodation left. There are some snowheads who drive regularly to Austria who will probably be able to come up with more detailed advice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hairy Boy, to my knowledge our place is still free that week. Laax has plenty of blues and reds for you; I don't know personally about suitability for kids as we don't have any, but there are always lots of families about and the ski school seems to be very good. Certainly friends who have used it for their kids have been very pleased. Let me know if you want me to check the availability with the agent

Route is reasonably easy - get into Germany, head down the Autobahn to Basel, from Basel head to Zurich and from there to Chur. Turn off the motorway the junction after Chur and then a 15 min drive up a reasonably wide mountain road and you're there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hairy Boy, Accommodation is scarce to non-existent for the week of the 14th Feb in Morzine - well anything decent anyway. We have been full since end of August! I would try Switzerland or Austria.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

thanks for all the replies - really appreciate the advice !

eng_ch I have just pm'd you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Booked Laax in the end for half term week - eng_ch's place had gone but the seed was sown and lookng forward to trying Switzerland for the 1st time.

Bought roofbars, roofbox and snowchains from www.roofbox.com

The bars and roofbox fit the car fine and have practised with the snowchains on our drive (RUD easy2go) which prompted some funny looks from neighbours but were straightforward enough to fit to the wheels.

Gone into overdrive waxing our ski's as I'm so excited Very Happy although still a little apprehensive about the 'big' drive down to Laax. TomTom reports 9 hours from Zeebrugge to Laax.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hairy Boy, I've driven to Switzerland form Zeebrugge and Rotterdam. I found last time that I reached Basle fairly quickly but it was very slow through Switzerland although that was at Easter. Twice I have done the journey at half term and it wasn't as bad. You will be lucky to do it in 9 hours but given good traffic you might manage 10-11 hours in my experience.

You will need a Swiss motorway vignette which you can buy at the border but I got mine form the Swiss Travel System website, sent by post. You then get waved through at the border crossing rather than have to stop to buy one. See here :-

http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/produkttexte.php?passid=5
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geepee,

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the vinette so will organise this ahead of travelling to avoid delays !

Thanks for the link
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good choice.We ski in Flims/Laax a lot as it is only just over an hour's drive from Zurich. Hope you enjoy it. Try our favourite restaurant Larnags which is at the first station of the Larnags bubble. The spaghetti with crevetten (huge prawns) is gorgeous. They also do fondue in the evenings.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hairy Boy,

The only issue seems to be your route to Basel..after that driving on Swiis roads is a doddle... especially if your car is kitted out.

It is a guess, as I haven't used that ferry route, but it seems Brussels to..??? maybe Koln and down the Strasbourg. This will be far more direct than a channnel crossing which gets pretty messy crossing country to get to Strasbourg IMV
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hairy Boy, If you haven't already got one, a great investment would be an in-car dvd player for your children. Ours has come in really handy and it isn't unusual for Mr Avago to jump in the back to watch while I do (most of) the driving! wink Smile

Have a great trip. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am off to Laax in March for the first time. Any tips regarding ski hire, mountain restaurants, runs not to miss and apres would be much appreciated. Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cham08, where are you staying and when are you going?

Various info on our web site. If you want a slap-up meal (and aren't vegetarian) then the teepee at Plaun takes some beating in our book. For a quick snack try the Tegia Miez on run 54 just above the Alp Dado lift. Trenchers of local meats, cheeses and bread accompanied by local beer - v nice.

I'll try and dig out the info I sent Hairy Boy by PM.

ashleymac, there are quite a few snowHead in this area - check out the Flumserberg thread on Snow Reports
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Staying in the Signina apartments and going at the beginning of March
ski holidays
cham08, if you're there the first week, then Dan100 will be there too. I'll probably be around sometime around then - still tbd. Our place is in one of the Val Signina buildings
latest report
Thanks for all the info.

We are busy sorting out some mixup with the apartment booked with an agent (not eng_ch's appt. which had unfortunately gone for the week we needed).

Still confident of being in Laax though and very much looking forward to it !

Thanks again for the info and comments.
ski holidays
Hairy Boy, how much was the ferry...if you don't mind me asking.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, we have booked relatively late so we were stuck with the cabin choices which were left rather than the most economical !

Anyway, we are paying £422 return which includes a family cabin both ways and I entered my car as 'tall' to accomodate the roofbox which I think knocked the price up a little.

From memory, when the tickets were released last November I think the cost would have been around £320 return inc. standard inside 4 berth cabins.

Just to be clear this is Hull to Zeebrugge - sails overnight departing at 19:00 and arrives at 9:15
ski holidays
Apartment mix-up now sorted for Laax.

Just changed some cash at the post office to Swiss Francs @ 1.63 francs to the pound. Think the rate last week was 1.51 Shocked so pleased I held off a bit. Having said that, knowing my luck, it will probably go up next week and I will wish I'd waited longer rolling eyes

Anyway, everything in place now - can't wait for our holiday, just got to get through a very busy 4 days at work until I break up on Thursday evening Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy