Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just coz I liked it

Poster: A snowHead
No particular reason for this, just posting coz I liked it

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Corker snowHead (of course it would look a whole lot better with powder puff blue boots on.... ) Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've seen Charletanefc do that - standing still and someone kicked his pole away Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow! There's no way I bend like that!

I guess that is the skiing equivalent of getting one's knee down on a motorcycle...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pah! Evil or Very Mad You skiers think you can carve rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/cCk5_ZwCt2U&feature=related
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I guess we assume that you didn't loose it a moment later? Laughing

Masque, 'You skiers'? Puzzled I thought you swung both ways?

Mind you that's a great video - it hadn't occured to me that boards could carve until I saw that, but it is exactly what they seem to be doing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:

Mind you that's a great video - it hadn't occured to me that boards could carve until I saw that, but it is exactly what they seem to be doing.

Filmed in Zinal, see Swoard riders all the time, it seems to be their base.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I'm a boarder first and always and now a telemark boarder (deeply strange)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I saw Rupert do that in Tignes briefly just when we were practising carving down the Grand Pre and it looked cracking. Amazing to see actually, someone so close to the ground whilst on the move. Great pic, thanks for that. I love the colour of his jacket Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, That's OK, a lot of boarders are still my mates snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would like to point out that I can do that... I just can't link them... usually because I have to climb back up to collect various skis and poles from the piste above me in between each carve.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At least from that position it's not far to fall. Note also the lack of helmet. Ahem... Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, Shocked Shocked <gasp> wash your mouth out with soap... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
Wow! There's no way I bend like that!.

It's not the getting to that position that's in doubt.

It's the getting out of it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But are his skis on equal edge angles and scribing parallel lines? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I wonder at which point he gets a pole plant in? Laughing

It does seem a crazy angle from which to recover though, when you think what the body actually needs to do in terms of weight transference it seems almost impossible.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I wonder at which point he gets a pole plant in? Laughing

Transition, just like everyone else wink Toofy Grin

Quote:

It does seem a crazy angle from which to recover though, when you think what the body actually needs to do in terms of weight transference it seems almost impossible.

I'd say he's going to push his inside back up by pushing on that leg (ILE) and take advantage of centrifugal force to right the upper body, allowing the angulation to disappear.

Not much to it, assuming he is truly balanced on that outside ski edge.
latest report
comprex, 'centripetal force' . . . let's be accurate man, let's be accurate wink
snow conditions
Shirley he is skidding the turn, look at the huge plume of snow from the tail of the left ski.
snow report
Masque, it is hard for me to have so much empathy for the snow that I take its side instead of the skier's.

When's the next Peeple for Ethical Treatment of Snow meeting?
snow conditions
comprex, Laughing Laughing
snow report
The last time I tried and vaguely succeeded in doing that I didn't get back up and the resulting haematoma on my left thigh was impressive to say the least. One year on and my left leg still isn't the same shape as the right one.
Great photo.
snow conditions
My thumb's still sore from trying something similar a fortnight ago...can't believe I got anywhere near as close to the snow as that though Shocked
latest report
rob@rar, Great picture.
Is that taken moments before the yard sale that followed? wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, bloody hell! That is impressive.
ski holidays
One thing we haven't considered - is that rob@rar, in the photo? LOL
snow report
Megamum wrote:
One thing we haven't considered - is that rob@rar, in the photo? LOL

No, not even in my bloody dreams is that me! I just liked it, not only because of the extreme edge angles he's got to, but while doing it he seems to be smiling Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, as an added bonus, he -seems- not to have overcooked the angles, pushing closer to the snow and sacrificing carve to get it.

Now, who knows what the skis are?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd be bloody smiling if I could get my @rse within an inch of the snow. Shocked

I got it down to four or five once, judging by the video taken of me doing it - the furthest I've managed to get down by some distance. Problem was that I was wearing a backpack full of stubby-brushes and a drill... so, quite a heavy pack... it made sure that I completed the last few inches and provided quite a spectacle for those watching on with interest.
snow conditions
comprex, they're Volkls I think, though not sure what model.
snow conditions
rob@rar, they look a bit like the new Tigershark 10s (can't for the life of me remember what they've renamed them as this year... Grizzlies, or something like that).
ski holidays
rob@rar, I assume that's you. You're dragging your uphill ski pole. You told me not to do that. wink
ski holidays
comprex, I'd say they were Volkls and as skisimon, says grizzly's Toofy Grin Great kit for getting you low Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just looking at the tracks in the snow, is he going forwards or backwards Shocked ?
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
rob@rar, I assume that's you. You're dragging your uphill ski pole. You told me not to do that. wink

Definitely not me. Dragging the tip is OK. Dragging the handle is quite unusual.
snow report
Megamum wrote:

The funny thing is... Carving (on skis) developed from boarding, when they started to make skis with the sidecut which were used on boards. Nowdays though, very few boarders train to the level they can carve at all.
ski holidays
Ronald, ummm I think you will find old time racers on 'straight' skis still carved....
ski holidays
little tiger, true, but shaped material brought carving to more general use...
ski holidays
yes but you can hardly say carving on skis developed from boarding... You could say modern 'carve' skis did.... but not the act of carving which was well known on 'straight' skis(which weren't)...
snow report
little tiger, straight skis 'carved' due to the fact that could still be flexed into an arc? Yes?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy