Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-Forecast.com- whats the deal?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey All, been trackingn this site now for a few years and it never stops amazing me how often they get it wrong- 24 hours ago they were forecasting snowfall between 30 and 55 cm but several downgrades later virtually nothing- i know its difficult to predict the weather but why is this site so changeable. Would welcome all opinions. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

why is this site so changeable.

as I understand it, because the weather model forecasts (GFS) they base it on are equally changeable. They are wrong less often as the event gets closer (like any weather forecasting). There are some very useful threads, for example

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44137#1117519

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852

if you want to learn a bit more about why the various runs of the model can come up with such different predictions. One of my goals for this season is to improve my understanding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
harrymac, I've done the same. I think that any 'forecast' over a few days away is liable to be inaccurate. I certainly dont believe the 9 days offering. The temps appear more reliable but the snow and wind can be suspect. In mid Dec I was in Val Thorens, it forcast some snow, cold temps and moderate winds. Over the 4 days the cold temp was correct, there was a little snow at first, even the dump in the last 36 hours spot on but the winds were totally off. 30-50 kph were actually resulted in 80 - 120 kph. The resort closed on that day. Sad
I take all forecasts with a pinch of salt. I certainly am not going to book a holiday based on a long range forecast. There's always the bar on a bad weather day. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sigh...it looks like the dreaded hi pressure will not shift though. We are in La Plagne from the 10th Jan. This will be my sons 4th year and he has never seen fresh snow on the mountains, he only knows hard pack and ice. So frustrating after such a good start.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyjc, but at least it will be bright and sunny! So many people were making daft noises about a dump in December lasting the season; even if it only has to last till the end of January it's going to be looking a bit sad.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know how you feel, for the last 2 years we have been skiing there has not been snow in the valley, not once. Hopefully the high pressure will move by the end of Jauary when I go allowing some snowfall in the valley.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Yep...agreed,plenty of base (i hope) so no rocks and pebbles. I so want him to have the opportunity of a bit of fresh stuff and he was convinced this year was going to be it. All is not yet lost,there might be a bit for him,keeping my fingers crossed.Just a couple of cm will do!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy