Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys/Gals,

New to this forum

Been skiing all over Europe for past 6 years, but the whole pound vs Euro thing is putting me off this year. Checked out some of the threads here and they seem to echoing the same thoughts.

Couple of mates have mentioned Bulgaria and Poland. Has Anyone been to Boveret or Zakopayen ( dont think I spelt that rite). Whats's skiing like and what about costs etc and more importantly Apres.

Worth it or shall just accept it's just going to be an expensive one this year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2leftfeet, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead I'm not a fan of Borovets having been once and never again (skiing was not up to much, infrastructure was hopeless, food the worst I've had anywhere - holiday, home, here or abroad). It WAS cheap though, although there was nothing to buy as such, but apres was good. We did enjoy it, but we were a group of 16 mates, and the craic was at least as important as the skiing so we made the best of it. Never been tempted back though.

If budget is the issue, maybe consider the Pyrenees - costs in general are lower, with good quality accommodation available. What type/level of skiing are you looking for?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2leftfeet, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead My nephew went to Zakopane with a Polish mate. Enjoyed it (drank a lot of vodka) but said the skiing was very limited compared to a major resort and having to pay separately in zloty (or whatever) for every lift was tedious. The snow was very poor when he was there - it would no doubt be better with more snow. It would just be a completely different experience - and he said the highlights for him was visiting his mate's family and seeing something of life in Poland. He said he'd not dream of going there for the skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I pondered the Bulgarian resorts, so when we were at the ski show we had a look at their stands. The ski areas were tiny, it definitely explained the low prices.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2leftfeet, weclome to snowHeads snowHead . IIRC from earlier threads on Zakopane, the infrastructure is very dated and the available hire equipment not up to much in terms of quality and range.

I gather Bansko in Bulgaria has had the best of the snow in Bulgaria but, as a 6-year skier, you might find the range of skiing limiting. Guess it'll be a trade off between quality and cost. As suggested above, maybe worth looking at the Pyrenees?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've been to Bulgaria twice now, Borovets and Pamparoavo. These were our first years skiing and it was great, the slopes probably are limited but for a beginner it was perfect. The prices are cheap, the food was adequate and the snow good but I've heard over the last year the prices have gone up considerably.

I did prefer Borovets as the resort is smaller and more intimate with small wooden cafes and bars all with roaring wood fires, just what was needed after being on the slopes.

We went to Pas de la casa last year and that was in another league for slopes / runs and we were considering going back this year.

If you want a cheap ski holiday with some mates Borovets might be the answer but check the snow out before booking it as I dont think there was that much a couple of weeks ago?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For relatively cheap skiing you can visit Jahorina near Sarajevo (Olympic mountain since 1984.) in Bosnia. There's also Kopaonik in Serbia but Jahorina is much better choice. There's an airport Sarajevo just cca 45 minutes away from slopes. Good food, great atmosphere and apres.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2leftfeet, Welcome to snowheads.

Why not Scotland Wink Last I noticed the pounds in Scotland didn't devaluate at all compared to pounds in England Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2leftfeet,

Never been to Poland or Bulgaria for skiing so can't comment. I am a tight back bottom so choose relatively cheap resorts and can recommend:

Livigno, Italy: 1800-2800m 130+km

Passo Tonale, Italy: 1900m-3000m 100=km & Small Glacier

Soll, Austria: 800-1800m 230km

Usually do the whole trip with tour op, ie H/B, flights from Belfast, transfers, lift pass, ski hire and beer money for less than £700.00

Never been to Andorra, but prices should be even cheaper that those above.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all - looks like I am just going to have to stick to European resorts and look for a bargain last minute deal.

If anyone knows of a 4 day skiing deal going in Europe in the first w/e of Feb please let me know.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2leftfeet,
First week in Feb you could run into school hols when most places will insist on 7 days.
We normally do a four dayer in Jan & never have a problem then. If you can try & go a bit earlier, you might even get four nights in a catered chatel if you book directly with the owner. That'll say you money on eating out & wine.
I've been to Borovets, like Anniepen, says it's cheap as chips but both the food & the skiing are the worst that I've ever encountered. Avoid the place!
Let's know how you get on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Semi hijack - what is Andorra like for budget skiing and which resort has the best slopes?

Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sauze, 4 full days in January £190 euro's inc transfers and half board catered chalet. £70 return flights. £260 plus passes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forget Bulgaria. We needed medical assistance and it was non-existent. Skiing is very limited and equipment poor. You may save money, but if you like skiing you're better off spending a bit more. There should be cheap deals coming up from the travel companies, or fly with Easyjet and self cater.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try Barking Mad.co.uk - they will pick you up from the airport and guide you all wk and put you in accom to suit your budget from bunkhouse to hotel - English guys out in austria for the season - just spent Xmas with them - brill value for money - you can do part or whole weeks and arrive any day
snow report
2leftfeet, Have you thought about the Spanish Pyrennees? they have loads of snow and Spain is pretty cheap. Also Slovenia is likely to be a much better bet than Blugaria and Romania. Chech Repub;lic? Seem to produce lots of good skiers/boarders - must be something in it - lots of culture there. Alternatively - SUMMER! Much cheaper. Very Happy
snow conditions
We're based in the French Pyrenees, and a lot of Spanish come here for weekends because the Spanish resorts are actually more expensive than the French side for some reason. Pricewise, although you're still having to deal with the strong euro, it is a fair bit cheaper than the Alps for lift passes, lessons, meals out on the slopes etc. This year's lift pass for the biggest ski area in the French Pyrenees - Bareges/La Mongie (Tourmalet) resort is 158 euros for 6 days or 159 euros for 7 days. A sandwich out on the slopes is around 4-5 euros, plat du jour 6-8 euros. Advanced ski hire is less than 100 euros for the week. Another bonus is that Ryanair have just started flying into Lourdes (£10 each way at the moment), which is only 50 minutes transfer, so you save time and money that too. Bulgaria and Slovenia are going to be a lot cheaper for accommodation, but at least here there are well-developed resorts with fast lifts and big ski areas.
snow conditions
Bulgaria is cheap but bad value for money, below average food and sking. Italy and the Spanish Pyrenees are inexpensive and offer excellent skiing
snow report
Hey Guy's
Can anyone help on beer prices in passo tonale?? its just going away with a youngish group and we all like a few beers and the pound to euro exchange is awful this year!!!! just need to know how much il need!! tignes was expensive last year but i hear italy is a little cheaper? thanks rolling eyes
snow conditions
owenwilson, If I remember correctly it was between 3 and 4 euros last year, which isn't too bad for a purpose built ski resort!
ski holidays
hey owenwilson
Went there last March - great bar at the bottom of the slopes - as you look up the hill - to the right hand end of the village behind the lift pass office- brill apres ski and happy hour from 4 - drinks half price.
enjoy - make sure you get over to ponte de legna - tree lined steeper sking - brill restaurant at the top!!
latest report
thanks notnaturalblonde lol!!! im sure we will be hitting the bars pretty early....happy hour will be very happy hour for us wink
snow conditions
I wouldn't recommend Poland for skiing unless you want to experience a different country, culture, cuisine etc. Zakopane is a great town but the skiing is rather limited (if you are an expert). There is another area called Pilsko, which has better skiing IMO. Bulgaria isn't much better. Bansko is OK and probably the best in E. Europe except for maybe Jasna in Slovakia. I would pay just a little bit more and go skiing in the alps because it is just so much better
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy