Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Greece snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
The last five days have been cold, rainy and snowy, depending on the altitude. Almost all ski centres of the country are open and there is plenty of fresh snow from 30 to 100cm depending on the ski area. Currently the best serviced and covered areas with practically all pistes open are Kalavrita (250km from Athens) and Arachova-Parnassos (200km from Athens).

The weather today is considerably better than yesterday when I went to Parnassos. Access is with chains only. There is a metre of fresh snow around the area, although strong winds have moved a lot of it in patches. There were occasional icy spots therefore. But they were few. From the outlook higher on to the montain where lifts were closed due to strong winds, it seemed to me that a lot of powdery stuff is available either straight from the lifts today or with a little hike around. Now that according to webcams (http://www.snowreport.gr/snowcam/parnassos/) the sky is clear, it should be the best ski since last February snow storm today.

I have similar comments from Kalavrita, where a friend went to ski right after Christmas. It seems that the snowcover there can be even better.

It was cold and still is. Yesterday at the parking in Parnassos it was -9 and higher up even colder with a strong windchill factor. Who said that it is only warm in Greece...

I will try to upload some pictures from the road later today, if I have a moment. It was so cold I did not operate the camera on the slopes. Everything is from the warmth of the car on the way up (provided that I manage to get the photos on the web). Otherwise, check the following sites:

www.snowreport.gr
www.parnassos-ski.gr
www.kalavrita-ski.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good report, demos. Keep 'em coming.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
demos

1. How extensive is the skiing?

2. Is it feasible to visit more than one area on a short trip?

Cheers!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went again to Parnassos on Monday for a day - this time better than the first day trip.

While it had been raining slightly in the resort a couple of days before and most of the snow on the trees further down the mountain had disappeared, the cold weather and slight snowfall on Monday made it acceptably good to ski. There was very strong wiind and lots of cloud/fog which seems to have been the curse of the last 15 days according to the folks I spoke with up in the chalet/cafe. Also the wind blew quite a bit of the snow away from the upper slopes and there were lots of icy patches.

Depending on winds all lifts are now operational and all pistes have sufficient snow cover. Off-piste does not have great amounts of snow yet, except in areas which have been protected from winds (there are a couple of such small "bowls" in the side of Fterolakka, whereas the side of Kellaria has been more beaten by winds and is slightly more icy). I did a couple of decent lines off-piste, but bad visibility made it more difficult than it should have been.

http://www.parnassos-ski.gr/photos/parnassosmap.jpg gives you a good outline of the area. One parks usually at Kellaria 1750 and takes a small four-person egg up to the chalet at 1950. From there, lifts 8 (four ppl seat) and 4 (three people seat) offer the nicest skiing. If you want to move accross the mountain, the long a slow 11 will take one to Fterolakka, where things are often a bit calmer. Fterolakka 1640 parking is a good alternative, though the two-seater chair 7 is a pain (too slow). Nice off-piste which very few people actively seem to ski is marked on the map with yellow. 6A was very good the other day and none else was tracking it apart from me. 21 is not really skiable yet as the top lacks some snow. 20 and 20A would be great later in the year, but now there are too many rocks still. Those face to the Corinthian Gulf and in later in the winter skiing while overlooking Mediterranean at 30 km is quite good fun. Mind you, it's not that challenging, but it keeps you occupied at least!

If things continue normally, the base snow for the winter is now solid and will remain nicely until the end of season in March. This is a good start for the season.

As for the second question, mountainaddict, the answer is yes - though not easily. You could imagine combining Parnassos and Kalavrita in about four days. Unfortunately they are separated by the Corinthian Gulf, so you would have to either return through Athens or drive to Delphi, then Anti-Rio, Rio and from there onto Kalavrita, if you started off from Parnassos. Alternatively, one could do Karpenissi (smaller) and Parnassos. Best is probably just to choose one of the two larger ski centres and stay for three or four days. One company offers a decent, though not cheap, cat skiing option. So those who don't want to trek too much but want to get off the beaten tracks, Pappos is the name of the ski school and company.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
demos, Good to hear something about the Greek skiing!

Quote:

It was cold and still is. Yesterday at the parking in Parnassos it was -9 and higher up even colder with a strong windchill factor. Who said that it is only warm in Greece...

I was already convinced Greece can be cold... I lived for almost a year in Thessaloniki, and saw more snow downtown on 1 day then fell over the whole winter back in the Netherlands.

Quote:

Those face to the Corinthian Gulf and in later in the winter skiing while overlooking Mediterranean at 30 km is quite good fun. Mind you, it's not that challenging, but it keeps you occupied at least!

Still fancy visiting some friends in Winter and go skiing a bit too Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ronald, if you are going to Thessaloniki to visit friends, then a trip to Kaimaktsalan is in order! That you probably already know.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess this proves the point that skiing is not exclusively and Austro-franco past time for those in the know.

How extensive is the lift system in these resorts? My local mountain - or hill range has snow (Brecon Beacons) but it would be one hell of a climb to ski. I can't wait until the next ice age when those down hill gentle walks become nice cruising red runs.

But how realistic is a ski holiday to Greece?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
one more thing - are there an English language versions of these sites?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It all depends on how you see things. It's not the French Alps, but it's not a little thing either. Unfortunately[/img] the English information on the sites is very limited. The snowreport.gr is updated once/week (Thursdays) in English, but the daily data is always in Greek.

The lift systems are reasonable, though often they are quite old and slow. If you are off-peak (read not weekends), it's very good any time really. Greeks mainly ski on weekends and therefore you don't need to worry so much about school holiday times or similar, unless it's Clean Monday weekend (descent to lent) or very early Easter. I take that you are not interested in Christmas holidays here for skiing. And if you were, I could not really seriously recommend them.

If one is serious about ski holidays in Greece, then the best bets are, in my opinion of course, Parnassos/Arachova, Kalavrita and Kaimaktsalan. Of these, the last is the Northernmost and the highest of all and is supposed to have the best snow, but I have never skied there in February/March, only at Christmas time. Parnassos is the largest of them all - you saw the map. Kalavrita is quite pleasant, and has an almost equally impressive scenery as Parnassos. Kaimaktsalan, which is about 7 hours by car from Athens, or 2 hours from Thessaloniki, is rumoured to have a good late winter ski (told by locals). So much so that I have seen pictures of fresh powder skiing in late April with more than knee-deep light snow.

The other two usually have the best snow in February, but this is very much guess work. One should really move quickly on basis of weather information and book according to the recent dumps. Last year, I was skiing in our backyard in Athens (http://youtube.com/v/E2OTDduPcJU&feature=channel_page), and those days there was more than a metre falling in Parnassos. If you could organise your holidays relatively freely, you might well be able to do a good holiday here. However, if you need to book a month in advance, it will be risky.

A couple of pics on the way up this December:

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The last week was rainy - and snowy. Kaimaktsalan in the North of Greece has now more than a metre and a half of snow. Below is the current snow status per ski centre. There are no valid figures for Kalavrita, but I hear from those who were there last weekend that snow is good and plenty.

Base MiddleTop
Kaimaktsalan 70 100 150
Pisoderi 90 100 120
Karpenissi 90 90 90
Geronto 80 80 80
Pilio 60 65 85
Vasilitsa 60 70 80
Parnassos 60 60 70
3-5 Pigadia 50 50 50
Trodos 40 40 40
Vitsi Kastoria 35 35 40
Mainalo 20 25 45
Elatochori 20 30 40
Chryso Elafi 20 30 40
Seli 20 30 40
Falakro 20 20 30
Metsovo 25 25 25
Pertouli 15 20 25
Lailias 10 15 15
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Temperatures are cooling again after a four or five days or milder weather. There are good new snow dumps since last week, including Parnassos with some 20cm fresh snow and more is expected from tomorrow on when the next rain front is supposed to hit the country.

It looks as if by the weekend we should have almost 30 cm of more fresh snow in all major ski resorts. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
During the last 36 hours Kalavrita has got 45cm new snow and Parnassos 20-35cm depending on the altitude. Top of the mountain snowcover is now well above one metre in both locations and almost a metre down at the base.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
During the last 36 hours Kalavrita has got 45cm new snow and Parnassos 20-35cm depending on the altitude. Top of the mountain snowcover is now well above one metre in both locations and almost a metre down at the base.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Parnassos on Sunday. There was lots of fresh snow, but unfortunately some rocks under the powder off-piste... Will need to fix some holes now, or scrathes... Otherwise, good conditions on piste. Fterolakka was foggy whereas Kelaria side was bathing in sun. Later in the afternoon the snowfall started again and skiing got almost impossible. Today's weather is sunny. More snow is forecast for the middle of the week. Below some pics from the way up (from Athens) and finally one pic from the location... I got too busy skiing and forgot to use the camera (sorry).

Pentelis (Northern Athens) had snow cover in the early hours of the morning...

After Livadia, the scenery starts to get a bit more interesting.

Bit by bit it started to look appropriately wintery. All trees covered with snow, clean dry roads, blue sky. Beautiful morning it was.

Arachova village from the outskirts. It's pretty, but far too busy with tourists...

The road up to the ski centre was chains only as so often in the winter.

Slow and gentle slopes in Kelaria taken from the lift going over the top onto the Fterolaka side.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Parnassos stinks
Vasilitsa is the best ski resort in Greece with lots of tones of pow
latest report
lepidas, Welcome to Snowheads!

Can you guarentee me that? Guess not; no guarentees ever in snowland Wink
ski holidays
Well Ronald I can put down something for Vasilitsa ski resort.pros and cons
Cons
not very well organised ski resort,employees are very lazy
far away from Athens(5-6 hours)

Pros
Plenty plenty plenty of pows,if theres no snow then anywhere in Greece theres snow
the most beautiful scenery i've ever seen in my country
very economical the ski passes,13euros the daily skipass and 107 the seasonal ski pass

and some pictures you'll get from here
http://snowchannel.forumotion.com/-f3/super-3-2-4-10-t184.htm
http://snowchannel.forumotion.com/-f3/28-1-1-2-2010-t186.htm
http://snowchannel.forumotion.com/-f3/18-23-12-2009-t174.htm
http://snowchannel.forumotion.com/-f3/21-22-23-24-10-t172.htm

the best and guarenteed days there are on February,still got the snow from Dec or Jan till March but in Feb there is about 3-4meters
snow conditions
Never realised there was skiing in Greece Shocked

wow, you've suprised me Laughing definately one for the list!
snow conditions
milnerhome wrote:
Never realised there was skiing in Greece Shocked

wow, you've suprised me Laughing definately one for the list!

before anyone tries this out visiting Greece for skiing,first take a look the snow quantity in snowreports.a good and trustworthy site to ask is : http://snowchannel.forumotion.com/forum.htm
almost every year the ski resorts are pretty well snowed after Christmas and until March,but us I said FIRST take a look.
have fun,George
latest report
and take this link to see whats going on

http://www.snowreport.gr/height.html
snow report
lepidas, Most here won't be able to read Greek (I do though, to some extend... Lived in Thesniki for close to a year)

The funny thing is... Parnassos has 10/15/15 bottom/mid/top and Vasilitsa has nothing at all left from that report.

Snow forecast lists some stunning pictures with absolutely mad amounts of snow for some greek resorts...
Definetly will return to greece to ski... It is on my "Unusual places to go skiing list" Along with Scotland (which is unusual from mainland europe, not for the scots Wink )
ski holidays
I went to Parnassos 7 or 8 years ago for a couple of days, and was pleasantly surprised by the skiing there.

Probably wouldn't want to spend more than that there skiing, but its easy to combine with a trip to the ancient temples at nearby Delphi, the stunning monasteries on top of amazing rocks at Meteora, Athens, and so on.
snow report
I will say it once more time.Parnassos is the best advertised ski resort in Greece,but it's not that with the best snow conditions.I live 2 hours away from Parnassos but I prefer to travel 6 hours to go to Vasilitsa
snow report
You can say it as many times as you like wink , but I was staying at my Father-in-Laws place in Delphi so to have this 15 minutes away made a little more sense to go here than anywhere else.

The snow was excellent the days I was there, which was over New Year a few years ago.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy