Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria/Switzerland - Best resort for 3 months?

Poster: A snowHead
Remember...i wont be a beginner for long...i hope!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plus....In my GCSE's i achieved 9 A* and 1 F...the F was in German....need i say more snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
London2008, if you are still looking for accommodation in Zell, let me know. Our apartment is booked for the season, but my agent over there has a few properties that might be empty for longer lets (and cheaper than renting out and out tourist accom). What are you looking at time-wise? When do you plan to go and how long do you want to stay?

If you've decided on somewhere else, no worries, and have fun wherever you go!

D
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
London2008 wrote:
the F was in German

Gut gemacht! Laughing

I'm sure you'll get on fine with the skiing too! Maybe see you on the slopes Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
espri, - yeah I forgot about the learning to ski thing!

It can be a bit hit and miss to join the 3 mountains in one day... I went from Reiteralm to Planai the other day in little over an hour (and I decided to go completely the wrong way and have to walk about a mile down the road to the next lift Crying or Very sad
2 days before and I was with a group of good skiers - we were doing a coupl eof runs on reiteralm first but we still only got half way by 11:30 / 12:00!

But there are shuttle buses running between the 3 mountains all day and some night busses too!

You are right about the trains too - but for a majority of the other areas you will have to travel back towards the sport welt area and bischofshofen to make a connection.

I just think that in 3 months you can cover a lot of ground - I know I did in my first season (which was out here) and I was glad I had the superpass.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flangesax wrote:
espri, - yeah I forgot about the learning to ski thing!

Yes, I did too, when I was first making suggestions in this thread. No doubt London2008 will also get a good deal of piste under his skis in a season Smile .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One more question....thoughts on Badgastein?

As you can tell i am still having doubts
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
London2008, 1st ski holiday was in Bad Gastein - it was OK but have been much better ski resorts. Personally I don't think Zell is the answer either (although I've only been there twice in the summer)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will appreciate the Gasteins a little later in the season - once you have got those wandering ski legs in!!
They are also right at the back end of the ski-amade or salzburger super pass...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am with Flangesax on this one. We have lived here for 3 winters and still havent managed to ski all the resorts covered by the Salzburg Super Ski card. Travel from resort to resort could be tiresome though, have you thought about hiring a car?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zell am See isn't a particularly beginner-friendly resort. The neighbouring Saalbach/Leogang/Hinterglemm has more easy slopes. Zell am See's ski pass includes Kaprun. Its glacier is a sure-fire location if snow is in short cupply elsewhere. Kaprun does have plenty of drag lifts.

I visited Bad Gastein the last time I was in Zell am See. That would be the limit I would do for a day trip.

As a base I consider Ski Welt a much better choice. It has some 8 to 9 separate areas to start with, all linked, like an octopus, except Westendorf which might get a link finally. The Ski Welt is surrounded by a circular road on which access to Kitzbuhel and St Johann are also located on the same road. Coming out of Ski Welt and there are Alpbach, Zillertal Valley (7 unlinked resorts) and even Innsbruck area is within striking distance by fast motorways.

The distances I kept show

From to Distance(m)
Zell am See Kapun 3.5
Zell am See Saabach 13
Zell am See Hinterglemm 16.5
Zell am See Dorfgastein 20
Zell am See Bad Hofgastein 25
Zell am See Bad Gastein 30

From to Distance(m)
Ellmau Scheffau 4
Ellmau Soll 7
Ellmau Westenhoff 16
Ellmau Brixental
Ellmau Kirchberg 25
Ellmau Kitzbuhel 28
Ellmau Oberndorf 32.4
Ellmau St. Johann 36 or 7
Ellmau Alpbach 28
Ellmau Mayrhofen 49
Ellmau Hinterlux 60
Ellmau Zell am See 43
Ellmau Kapun 41

Ellmau, Soll, Scheffau, Brxental and Westenforf are part of the linked Ski Welt.

I did not tried the get from Zell am See to Ellmau as the short-distance route is a minor road. I did go as far as Hintertux from Ellmau.

From experience I would be surprised if there is any accommodation problem in Zell am See, Ski Welt or Zillertal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have done this several seasons and still havn't found the perfect spot especially if you don't have a car. I thought Zell rather limited. But I am an expert so I have different tastes. So far I think the best area to base yourself, which hasn't been mentioned, is Radstadt. It is a great town, right in the middle of the ski amade(which is a smaller version of salzberger super ski). From there you can warm up on the hills there and when you get better you can head up to obertauern and zauchensee. The other place I thought had a lot of options is Bad Gastein. If you get board there or sometimes the snow is better on the other side of the mtns, you can take the train through the tunnel and ski ankogel, or the molltal glacier. Have fun I'm jelous
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
well... I didn't want to say it myself but yes, I guess Radstadt is a pretty good place to be.... hmmm... I wonder if there is anywhere good to stay?... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee wrote:
Westendorf which might get a link finally.

The new Skiwelt-Bahn gondola linking Brixen (and thus the rest of the Skiwelt) to Westendorf is already running. And great it is. However, I wouldn't recommend the Kandleralm piste that brings you back to Brixen to a beginner. Part is black (though with a red detour) and I slid down a good chunk of it on my backside Embarassed (you could take the gondola back down). Worth mentioning, though, is the other new gondola in Westendorf, the Choralm, which opens up a wonderful blue run with only the odd slightly steeper section.

Actually, I had forgotten one other thing. The Salzburg Super Ski Card also includes the Kitzbühel area (though not the Skiwelt). It shouldn't be difficult to get from Zell am See to Mittersill (by bus or, I think, with the narrow gauge train). From there you can take the Panoramabahn gondola up to the Resterhöhe and the whole of the Kitzbühel area is opened up to you. Conveniently, that starts with the easier slopes above Pass Thurn, which I think you could enjoy within a week. And by the end of the season, I could meet you on the Streif, London2008, the Kitzbühel race piste Smile That adds a whole extra dimension to Zell.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Radstadt is lacking of cheap acommadations that is the only problem. Otherwise it is a nice town.
snow conditions
Zell am See will be my first stop...then i will see what happens
ski holidays
let us know what happens. It seems that there are few people who have done seasons in Austrian resorts and little information available. That is the first place that I went to in Austria and it is awesome. I liked the town of Kaprun better and the Kitzsteinhorn glacier is a great place to ride. Have fun.
ski holidays
Quote:

Radstadt is lacking of cheap acommadations that is the only problem. Otherwise it is a nice town.

Really....?? Puzzled I think the prices here are very, very reasonable (we are only €28.50 pp,pn for BnB).... half board can be found for little more....
Where have you gathered this info from j?

If you want to know a few seasonaires then there is Waynos (seasons), DJFletcher (lives here), Kirsch, Dab (lives here) and Deliaskis and some more too...
ski holidays
Can you recommend any good hostels in Zell am See?????
snow conditions
There is a youth hostel (Haus der Jugend) that is right on the lake. It's a little out of town, and requires a 5 min walk to the bus stop then 2 mins on the bus to the lifts. The place is clean, does food and the staff are friendly. Not sure what the prices are.
snow conditions
Cheers Elizabeth B, ..thanks for that!
ski holidays
The other place that deals mainly with large groups of kids, but may be able to do you a deal is Club Kitzsteinhorn which is further out of town, but right by the lifts in Schuttdorf. There is also is Youth Hostel in Kaprun, but I've not stayed there. You may be able to get a reasonable deal on a B&B....I stayed at Pension Alpenrose last Easter and it was very nice, cheap and right next to the lifts. I also met the English owners of Haus Patricia in Kaprun, and they were really friendly. I'm sure if you spent a few night there, they would be able to help you settle into the resort and get to know some people!
snow conditions
Sorry to dis on your town but I went there two or three years ago thinking it would be the perfect base (other than the skiing from town being a little on the bland side) since it is located on a train route, close to salzburg and vienna and also near obertauern which is just about my favorite place to ski in austria. It is also smack in the middle of the salzburg super ski so it seemed like the best base to use for that pass. However, We found that Radstadt cost about 10 eur/night/person more than we had paid in other areas so we've never stayed there. More like St. Anton prices without the St. Anton snow or skiing. For example on the other times I have skied at obertauern we paid 18/night/person in both Tweng and Maunterndorf(just about the prettiest town in austria). We have also stayed in Tauplitz (17), Bad Ausee (1Cool, Hallstadt(1Cool, Ruette(17), Imst(19) and Langenfield in Otztal(17) and malnitz in Karten for about 20 . Mostly these places seem to be run by little old ladies who need the company and the extra cash. They all seem to be a bit surprised to see us but they have all been really nice. This has always included breakfast and some even had cooking areas to make dinner in. The German lessons are free.
We find most of these places through the little acommodation booklets that they give out at the ski places, so we wait until we arrive to find a place. For some reason you cannot find them on the internet or by contacting the tourist office. Or anywhere else but that region. Someone should figure out how to put those things online. Anyway maybe I'll stay in Radstadt one day.
ski holidays
Sorry to dis on your town but I went there two or three years ago thinking it would be the perfect base (other than the skiing from town being a little on the bland side) since it is located on a train route, close to salzburg and vienna and also near obertauern which is just about my favorite place to ski in austria. It is also smack in the middle of the salzburg super ski so it seemed like the best base to use for that pass. However, We found that Radstadt cost about 10 eur/night/person more than we had paid in other areas so we've never stayed there. More like St. Anton prices without the St. Anton snow or skiing. For example on the other times I have skied at obertauern we paid 18/night/person in both Tweng and Maunterndorf(just about the prettiest town in austria). We have also stayed in Tauplitz (17), Bad Ausee (1Cool, Hallstadt(1Cool, Ruette(17), Imst(19) and Langenfield in Otztal(17) and malnitz in Karten for about 20 . Mostly these places seem to be run by little old ladies who need the company and the extra cash. They all seem to be a bit surprised to see us but they have all been really nice. This has always included breakfast and some even had cooking areas to make dinner in. The German lessons are free.
We find most of these places through the little acommodation booklets that they give out at the ski places, so we wait until we arrive to find a place. For some reason you cannot find them on the internet or by contacting the tourist office. Or anywhere else but that region. Someone should figure out how to put those things online. Anyway maybe I'll stay in Radstadt one day.
ski holidays
Hi,
perhaps give innsbruck a thought ( i know i`ts not a resort as such). It's a large city to find jobs and accommodation in, and in the evening you are back in a city.

there are free buses from various points around the the city that go to all the local skiing areas every day, and if the conditons are poor at one you can try a different one the next day. there is a innsbruck pass or super innsbruck pass that just about covers every skiing area around. no car needed for this trip.

that was good advice from above go and do a little fact finding tour before you commit to 3-4 months
snow conditions
j, ....not sure what your are trying to say? Are you saying that Radstadt is the place to be?
snow report
j, true... the little old ladies do have cheap prices wink

It is also about what you want when you are here... I offer many, many more services than those types of places.
There are some real bargains about but (like you say) you do really have to hunt them down. The reason you can't find them online is because the owners probably think the internet is that strange bit to be found in your swimming shorts!

Quote:

We found that Radstadt cost about 10 eur/night/person more than we had paid in other areas so we've never stayed there. More like St. Anton prices without the St. Anton snow or skiing.

Just had a look and the cheapest BnB I can find in St.Anton is €39 pp, pn (based on 2 sharing) - so more than €10 per night, per person than the average price in Radstadt.

I think that the 'without the St. Anton snow or skiing.' comment is also a little harsh... If you stay in Radstadt to just ski Radstadt, then yes, St.Anton may be better.... but the idea is to come here to explore much more of Ski Amade - loads of which is easily accessible from here.
ski holidays
London2008, what I am trying to say is that Radstadt is a great central location for the salzburg/amade pass. Especially if you don't have a car. If you are a beginner than there is a ton of options to choose from that area. You won't be board. If you are, than Salzburg is a really short trip up the highway. Maybe flangesax can help you find a good place to stay.
I went to Zell am See my first time to Austria. The town is great and the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier is amazing. However, looking back it seems rather limited. I don't know about prices and how they compare between the two towns (I was in Zell a long time ago) but Radstadt did seem a little pricey compared to other places in Austria. However, I have a car when I go there so I can get a little off the beaten track and stay in small villages near, but not at a resort.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[b]flangesax, I looked quickly in the St. Anton Gastgeber index and found a place for 30Eur/pp/n. (www.bklimer.at if you want to check it out) I'm sure that you can find a similar place even cheaper in Radstadt. I don't mean to say that your place isn't worth it or say that you are over priced. But I have stayed in countless places throughout the country and found all of the standards and amenities to be spectacular. I am still surprised that Radstadt seems to have alittle higher prices than almost anywhere else I've been. I don;t know why.

It also seems that other than obertauern, most of the ski amade is cut runs through trees. Not much off piste or big mtn skiing. Plus, it is rather low and doesn't get nearly as much snow as st. anton (or tauplitz) wink . I'll be in Austria next year and maybe you can put me in touch with one of your saisonaires and help me find a place to stay for the season and I'll change my mind.
snow report
Guys,

So i finally made it to Zellam See and am having a great time. Have spent the last two days skiing and i am progressing well....i think.

I purchased the Salburg Super Ski pass in the end and my plan is to spend one month here and then move on ....maybe to Radstadt.

However, i have one BIG problem...i cannot find any apartments for 1 month in Zell...can anyone help????
snow conditions
London2008, glad you made it there ok. Where are you staying at the moment?

All I can suggest is to keep asking everyone you meet. Try asking staff in the bars...they often get wind of things available. Hope you sort something out.
snow report
staying at the youth hostel...its really nice especially for the price.

Have been asking around everywhere but keep coming to dead ends Sad
snow report
London2008, sorry we didn't get to catch up again before we left. Hope you're still having fun!

I asked around with a couple of my local contacts, and they all have bookings for the rest of Jan and for Feb, so couldn't come up with anything to help.

More ideas of places to ask - the TUI Thomson/Crystal office behind the Lebzelter hotel - there is a chance that someone in there might have their ear to the ground relating to digs available (i.e. not hotels but what they might be using for staff for example).
Also there is an estate agent just off the main road through town (the one with traffic!), on the right, just along past the big hotels, which is called Remax. The woman in there is really friendly, speaks excellent English, and they might know of someone with empty property willing to do short term lets.
Only other advice is that there is on the whole a lot of accommodation in Schuttdorf and not a lot in Zell, so if you are talking about asking in bars etc. you might have more luck in Schuttdorf.

Anyway, whether you stay there or move on, hope you carry on liking skiing!!

Have a great extended trip

D
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy