Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What freeride/bc ski up to 100mm underfoot.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking into getting some new skis to go alongside my old 1080s. Basically looking for something more freeridey so a bigger waste and a bit stiffer as the current ones are pretty soft. Was also thinking about using them for some touring so am considering sticking on some duke's or similar. I quite liked the look of the movement thunders but they're not exactly cheap. my dad has jsut bought a pair anyway which makes me want something else and unfortunately i can't steal his. Was also looking at the nordica enforcers. Anyone got any other suggestions? would quite like them to work alright on piste too. I'm 6'2" so thinking 185 at least. Reckon it would probably be something like a 85% off piste 15% on ratio. I only weigh 65kg though and i don't think i'll be putting any weight on anytime soon so probably nothing super stiff. The 100mm waist isn't a must have but i jsut don't want something too overkill. Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you like? Dynastar LP's? Obsethed? Prophet 100s?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that's kind of the problem. I don't really know what i like as there are so many brands out there now, it's impossible to try everything out there. The obsetheds have a rocker don't they? A bit wary of the whole rocker idea, can't see it being too hot on harder snow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, just focus on criteria rather than individual skis - soft or stiff, twin or no, what kind of conditions or days are you going to pick them for, is railing groomers important, how turn/what kind of radius?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well that's kind of what i was trying to get at with the first post. I want them fairly stiff so they're aren't all over the place in the chopped up stuff like my 1080s are at the moment. Would prefer a twin tip but not essential. Aiming for a more freeridey ski so more for the powder days but also able to take on the not so nice off piste like crud and wind swept stuff. Railing groomers ins't a major issue as long as they're not totally unmanagable (thus the sort of 100mm limit). Obviously it would be nice if they worked on the hard pack but you can't really have everything as i'm sure you are aware.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
el nombre,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46761
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
el nombre,

Movement Gladiator or Goliath Sluff are a couple of suggestions Make sure you take into account the TT of the Gladiator, IME. The 183 would work for your weight, IMV... but am the same height but 85 kgs..so I would go 191 or whatever the lenght is.

I know Noble has some of last years stock at decent prices and the Dukes stiffen up the middle of the ski...obviously, as it is a big plate.

That said... SZK's reviews look very interesting wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
el nombre, I tested the twin tip Enforcers last week and bought a pair... check out

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46761
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lifted from ski shop sites...

With the smallest width in the Nordica Freeride Supercharger series, the Enforcer gives expert skiers enough sidecut for cutting turns on hardpack, crud and groomers--but this is still a ski that's all about control in untracked snow. Nordica gave this ski their proven Energy Frame TI construction but refined the shape with a distinct tip design that maximizes control above deep snow. The result is a powder ski that turns easy and goes exceptionally fast through the steep backcountry terrain. The Enforcer stands apart from the Jah Love and the Blower because it has a significantly shorter sidecut, something you'll appreciate in a big way if you're looking for a comfortable line down the mountain among the holiday crowd. If you're an expert skier who prefers powder over all terrain but can't afford to heliski on every vacation, the Nordica Enforcer takes you where you want to go without compromises in freeride performance.

A wide all-terrain ski specifically developed for advanced and expert skiers who prefer untracked powder and broken crud, but sometimes hit groomed runs and hardpack
Binding not included
Nordica Energy Frame TI construction
Sidecut dimensions (tip/waist/tail in mm.): 135/98/125
Sintered graphite UHMW Electra Gallium base
Turn radius for 169-cm. length ski (in m.): 17 m.
Turn radius for 177-cm. length ski (in m.): 19 m.
Turn radius for 185-cm. length ski (in m.): 21 m.
Wood core
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa, Sounds awesome. Where can i get a pair. Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Dunno mate... some dodgey w@nk@r will probably try to sell you a pair in Chamonix.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've taken to knocking on doors whilst wearing a pale grey suit and talking to strangers.

"I've come to talk to you about mid fat twin tips".

"What the f@*k are you on about"?

"They are the way forward, they are the true path to 'lightenment' for curved turns on ungroomed snow".

"P@$$ off... I'm calling the police"!

"Here is a selection of brochures from various ski manufacturers".

'SLAM'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 6-01-09 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, WTF Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, They do not see the true way Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
el nombre wrote:
Well that's kind of what i was trying to get at with the first post. I want them fairly stiff so they're aren't all over the place in the chopped up stuff like my 1080s are at the moment. Would prefer a twin tip but not essential. Aiming for a more freeridey ski so more for the powder days but also able to take on the not so nice off piste like crud and wind swept stuff. Railing groomers ins't a major issue as long as they're not totally unmanagable (thus the sort of 100mm limit). Obviously it would be nice if they worked on the hard pack but you can't really have everything as i'm sure you are aware.

I'd definitely look into Prophet 100s.
latest report
I'm loving my Line Prophet 100s in powder and soft chopped up piste. 100 mm waist and twin tip too.
latest report
another shout for the Gladiators
latest report
Do you think the gladiators would be more suited to me over the thunders then? I've only skied the thunders and that was only for a run or two.
ski holidays
Icelantic Shamans, well..they may be a mite wider at 110mm under foot but they rail like a mummy's little sweetie! One of the best skis I've ever been on!
snow conditions
mummy's little sweetie...I'm sure thats not what I wrote!! Very Happy
ski holidays
the_doc, Weirdo
snow report
I'm liking the new Black Crows very much for this sort of use. I had a go with some during the big dumps a couple of weeks back, they are the monkey and even better now that you don't have to have them in day glow pink. They are a little French outfit throwing out some very French colours...
snow report
el nombre wrote:
Do you think the gladiators would be more suited to me over the thunders then? I've only skied the thunders and that was only for a run or two.

I've got both actaually, the older version of the stiff-as-be-jesus Thunders and the Glads. Love em both though have way more time on the Glads than the Thunders. Glads are a bit wider than the thunders )92 vs 89 and the the Thunders are a bit longer than the glads (mine are 183 gladiators and 187 thunders). So no real or discernable difference in dimension. Thunders are stiffer (though I hear the more recent versions are less so, but then the Glads are pretty stiff an' all). Glads also have a true twin tip whereas the thunders are just lifted slightly in the tail.

hard one to pick, certainly if true twin tip is a must then Gladiators are the way to go. If I had to choose I would say Glads but only because as I said, I have much more time on them than the Thunders. Maybe a difference in any deal you could get would be a decent enough differentiator!
If a bit more width is your bag then I hear the baby Goliaths are the nuts. (I've got a set of the proper big ones (191 & 108 IIRC) and they are beasts - though wouldnt be your best all-mountain bet!)
snow report
Have you considered the Scott Mission been around for a few years but still up there or possibly the Volkl Mantra. Both these ski's have been well rated in the Fall Line ski tests over the last couple of years.
latest report
el nombre,

Touring with Dukes...?? well that would make the Goli Sluff a big rig but I would be tempted to go that route for small hikes.

Glads are very good...torsionally stiff and more nimble that you would think for a 25mtr turn rad.... great fun in trees and the float is there. Hardpack is another thing and the Thunders would be better there...

I think you look like you have a whole host of fun testing to do...

If I was looking again..and I might be soon-ish... I'd wish-list Black Crow, Movement Goli Sluffs , and G3...
snow report
I still can't find any 06/07 Legend Pro's after missing out on Arno's ones Sad or 07/08 for that matter ! Are the 08/09 really that much softer Puzzled

I just dont know !

maybe i'll have to pay the SMALLZOOKEEPER a visit myself when I arrive...hang on..I need my boots sorted (or thrown away and new ones bought Laughing ) so could kill one bird with two stones Very Happy Just hate buying new gear.... boots 10 years old (2nd liner) and skis now 5 years old....

Alex
ski holidays
Alex A,

http://www.antrieb.com/freeridestore/product_info.php?cPath=277&products_id=2385&cPath=277

Wink
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
Alex A,

http://www.antrieb.com/freeridestore/product_info.php?cPath=277&products_id=2385&cPath=277

Wink

Think that's only available in a 176cm? Too short... Sad unless i'm missing something on that site you cant select the bigger ones?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sorry - saw all three listed and assumed they were available Sad

there are some 194 XXLs available!
ski holidays
Arno, 194 XXL's would be cool if I wanted this as my powder weapon !! I'm tempted by Mantras but have no idea if they will be too soft for what I want... I usually love Volkl though.
snow conditions
Alex A, I thought the Mantras were stiffish, pretty hard work in the powder keeping things afloat when it gets real deep. Not as stiff as the LP though (just from a hand flex).
snow report
arv wrote:
Alex A, I thought the Mantras were stiffish, pretty hard work in the powder keeping things afloat when it gets real deep. Not as stiff as the LP though (just from a hand flex).

I dont want them for powder so not worried about that. I learnt to ski powder on skinny 204cm skis so sure they will be fine anyway wink I want something to fly about on in chopped up / variable snow in between snowfalls...to ski couloirs... The Seth will come out to play when it snows big.

I do want some girth though as that keeps things stable. But also want it to have some ability on harder pistes..(don't want too much do I !) Enough ability so that it keeps a good edge. The Seths are "OK" at all the above but are just too soft in the tip and the tail isn't there as it's a twin tip !

Don't mind hard work...in fact I want that as I dont like to become lazy. I'm around 195lb and 185cm tall so have the size.

Maybe there is a lot of rubbish spoken about the new Legend Pro's and maybe the 190cm will be just the ticket for me. I cant believe they would soften them that much. Or i'm back looking at Stockli again... ! I would like a demo of all of them and then i'd know straight away. Trouble is I dont like then having to pay full wack when you can source cheaper on the tinternet...
snow report
Alex A, whether they would soften them down to the level of the Mantra now that is a question. For sure a demo is probably the way forward, or someone who has skied both, I would imagine if you did some searching you wouldn't have too much trouble on TGR for a comparison like that. If you are 195lb then my opinion has near useless having 50lbs less than you to carry about Laughing
ski holidays
Alex A, They have softened the Lp quite alot, that said, the 190cm is untouched in flex terms.
snow report
Some interesting flex comparisons here

www.friflyt.no/files/SFI_2008.pdf

www.endrehals.no/Flexcurves%202007.pdf
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Alex A, They have softened the Lp quite alot, that said, the 190cm is untouched in flex terms.

So the 190 is effectively the same as the old one with a new shape (97 to a 100mm waist) and a different tip profile...? Same stiffness...if so then that could be my new weapon Very Happy
snow report
snowplow, That's a cool link...very interesting for sure. Like the way you can overlay the different skis.
snow report
Alex A, Yes, it's still the ski used by all the pros in Comps, that is until they get the "Big Dump".
latest report
snowplow, Great links. Cheers.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER Cheers. Do you have these in a demo?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy