Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who wears a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
BCjohnny wrote:
anotherproblem wrote:
I said this would happen..........

Main reason for the post, mate............................
I was under the impression it was to find who who wears them, not why. There are loads of threads on this already and I'm sure they have a sticky? And it's already gone from saying "yes i do" "no i don't" to people arguing with each other about it again
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well yes, but it's hard to keep such an emotive subject down, bit along the lines of "Don't mention the war".

I'd never argue with anyone about helmets. Everybody, except younger kids, should have a choice. How long it will stay that way, well who knows? Ten years ago who'd have thought they'd ban smoking in pubs?

Anyway, Happy new year, I'm off to lubricate it's arrival.

John.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I started wearing a helmet about 4 years ago, and wouldn't go out without it now. never really had any head hits that were serious (couple minor ones, but would've survived without helmet), but I simply can't see a reason not to wear it nowadays. It's not like it does any harm, and where else can you put an 'I Fear no Beer' sticker Smile

I'd say that in North America, helmet wearing is a good 50% at most places, and at some of the local hills around here, probably a fair bit higher.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BCjohnny wrote:
such an emotive subjectAnyway

I'm not too sure about why it's so emotive? We choose our own kit....... we wear our own kit. Simple.

I don't ski like a nutter cos I've got a helmet on, truth is once it's on I pretty much forget it's there. Until my head itches - then I scratch my helmet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chrisdavis wrote:
Until my head itches - then I scratch my helmet.

Snap, I keep doing that, you look a complete tool when you do it walking into a bar!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a helmet because you can't get into the snowpark in Livigno without one.

It worked out quite nicely for me in that I find it much more comfortable than a hat. It doesn't move around, it holds my goggles nicely, it never itches like hats did for me, and it keeps me at the right temperature.

I didn't start skiing more aggressively when I bought it, but I definitely wuss it up a bit if I sky without it now.

If someone doesn't want to wear one (except kids), I'm not going to argue Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Canesten cream can be good for that itch
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
in garbure we trust, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't wear a helmet. I would prefer not to wear anything on my head so preference is:
1) nothing
2) a headband
3) a hat
When someone invents a helmet that I can quickly pull off and stuff in my pocket I will consider buying one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi,
Quote:

I would prefer not to wear anything on my head

Me too! But the fear of being hit - and the experience of the last time someone did wipe me out, before I had a helmet, and gave me one hell of a headache - eventually became too much for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
in garbure we trust, My big, shiny, itch free helmet has revolutionised my ski trips Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I do.

Sometimes.

CW Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
element, I can't work out if your being rude or not there!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gortonator wrote:
I started wearing a helmet about 4 years ago, and wouldn't go out without it now. never really had any head hits that were serious (couple minor ones, but would've survived without helmet), but I simply can't see a reason not to wear it nowadays. It's not like it does any harm, and where else can you put an 'I Fear no Beer' sticker Smile

I'd say that in North America, helmet wearing is a good 50% at most places, and at some of the local hills around here, probably a fair bit higher.

I reckon from my unscientific observations around BC its about 2/3 now (based on a count I did of a farly gaper run while sitting on a chairlift). The other third seem to be either very good or gapers. Almost no non helmet wearing among the under 20s.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wore my new helmet on
Weds, then Thurs and Friday. I loved it as it was so warm. I also like the way you can have your goggle strap much looser.

I'm a convert.
ski holidays
Many more helmets in Les Carroz last week, more than I can remember on previous trips. I like mine because it keeps the bauld head warm and hats make me itch. Even saw some adults wearing hire ones
snow conditions
I do
ski holidays
Being a long time 'non helmet' skier, I've now been considering this for the first time. Recently seen too many accident, and these are usually collisions. Sad Maybe my age is making me feel way to mortal.

But, why are they so expensive? Nothing more than polystyrene foam and plastic. They cannot cost more than a few £'s to manufacture.
latest report
Did up4it, post and say what he had decided? He must be away on his holiday by now.
latest report
I wear one love it keeps the head warm and relativley safe, I would say on average in resort it is about 25-30% of people that wear them but the % is growing every year
snow report
[Yawn], huh? wassat? 'nother thread on helmets?

Oh yeah, didn't used to wear one, now do. don't care who else does or doesn't. matter of personal choice 'n all that.

[dozes off again]

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
based on a count I did of a farly gaper run while sitting on a chairlift.

Sorry to display my ignorance, but then if you don't ask you'll never find out.

Farly? Gaper? Eh?
latest report
I used not to, now I do. I started wearing one when I started training through gates - a pole in the mush/moosh hurts. I always ski close to the edge, so have lots of falls but have only had one or two where I've felt anything close to being in danger - and my most serious would probably have been exacerbated by wearing a helmet. I've had a few high speed falls on piste too without a lid on and seen a couple of stars, but no real damage. I only really started wearing one when strongly recommended to by a guide in St Anton, and it was the easier option than putting up with his disdainful looks for the rest of the week. It is more comfortable and easier to control temperature than a hat, and your head stays drier when you headplant in deep snow. Except in the gates I don't thing the helmet issue is a big deal, but I ski fast enough that crashes on piste would hurt lots and off-piste headplants can be uncomfortable, so I use it. The downside is that when the earflaps are on my hearing is reduced and I'm less aware of what's going on around me.

I don't wear one on my pushbike.
snow conditions
GrahamN, similar experience to me, although I don't quite attack my skiing with the same gusto as you do (in fact, I've not seen many people who do Laughing )
latest report
Ive just bought a Smith `Holt` helmet.
Falls are few and far between compared to when I started out, but when I do take a tumble its at far greater speed, and way way more dramatic Confused ....
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
...What I can't suss out is for example, why some of the people who I ride singletrack downhill mountain bikes with, who wouldn't dream of riding without a helmet for fear of whacking their unprotected heads on trees or rocks, don't wear head protection when they ski or board Puzzled

erm, that'll be me then... I always wear a helmet on my MTB, sometimes on my road bike and wouldn't even have considered it skiing until last week. Even last year as far as I was concerned helmets were for boarders and 'extreme' skiers but last week (in Le Grand Bornand) there seemed to be quite a few 'normal' skiers with helmets on. I guess if you were to characterise them, they were mostly blokes, mostly younger than me and mostly with a high level of kits (both clothing and skis/boots). Quite a lot of the time they were in mixed groups too - it seemed to me that if there were a few boarders with helmets in a group, there was a good chance the skiers would have helmets on too.

Still (in my experience)... I reckon my crashing days are behind me. Also, on lots of ski trips with lots of friends, I've seen all manner of crashes and injuries but nothing to the noggin.

I've seen more than enough helmet 'discussions' on mountain bike forums to have a fair idea how they'll run on here.

For me, for now, I won't be wearing a helmet.
snow report
Higs wrote:

I reckon my crashing days are behind me. Also, on lots of ski trips with lots of friends, I've seen all manner of crashes and injuries but nothing to the noggin.

For me, for now, I won't be wearing a helmet.

Mine are too, but they still happen occasionally through silly mistakes or unforeseen terrain, and typically I'm going a lot faster than when I used to crash a lot. And my two 'minor head' events were both caused by another skier hitting me. Helmet wasn't necessary for survival in either, but it helped minimize blood Smile
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
easier to control temperature than a hat,

Sorry, but of all the pro helmet points, (and many of them are very sensible), this one takes the biscuit! How can it be easier to control temperature Puzzled . You have a hat, you get warm, you pull it off and stick it in your pocket. It gets cold, you pull it out and put it on your head. Crumbs, anyone can do this, with one hand, whilst skiing rolling eyes .

If you can do it easier with a helmet, I'll, erm, eat my hat! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, forced to agree I'm afraid. Something about the trapped warm air in my helmet, coupled with a bit of ventilation that makes it a pleasant constant.

Please post pics wink
latest report
maggi wrote:
GrahamN wrote:
easier to control temperature than a hat,

Sorry, but of all the pro helmet points, (and many of them are very sensible), this one takes the biscuit! How can it be easier to control temperature Puzzled . You have a hat, you get warm, you pull it off and stick it in your pocket. It gets cold, you pull it out and put it on your head. Crumbs, anyone can do this, with one hand, whilst skiing rolling eyes .

If you can do it easier with a helmet, I'll, erm, eat my hat! Laughing

With the hat, you have two choices - on or off.

With a helmet, assuming it has adjustable vents, you have a range of positions, from fully closed to fully open.
snow report
alex_heney, You do have a range of positions with a hat! Rolled up over ears/forehead or rolled down. And you only have one real choice with a helmet. On rolling eyes . What else are you going to do with it? Ski with it tucked under your arm? Swinging by the strap, like a handbag? As chrisdavis said,
Quote:
Please post pics wink
snow conditions
I wear one - Metallic Grey with Flames
ski holidays
...youve a shiny helmet with flames coming out of it ?? Shocked

-Nurse! Laughing
snow report
About 5 years ago, one of our party of six had an incident when a nice big fat German bloke (who weighed at least 5 stone more than my friend) skied into him at a moderate speed. My friend was stationary at the edge of the piste. Neither had anything on their heads.

The clash of heads left my friend with nasty split to top of his eye socket needing half a dozen stitches, a sore head for about three days, a shiner of momentous proportions and the indignity of having to be woken every two hours through the night to ensure he wasn't concussed. OK - so it wasn't a life threatening injury but it was a damn nuisance for us all, to say the least.

That afternoon, one of our party bought a helmet and by the end of the week another had also been bought. I toyed with the idea, but being such a good skier (skiing 30 yrs, teaching 20) whose falling days were behind me, I thought no more about it.

The following year, another member of the group had purchased a helmet & the three of them were raving about the comfort & warmth they afforded as opposed to a beanie. So I thought again but couldn't find one that fit properly.

The world turned and my next trip was to visit a friend in the US. He and his entire family all wear helmets and also enthused about their comfort. So I looked again. I must have tried on every helmet in feckin' CO, but still couldn't find one to fit.

So last year, I took the kids away for the first time. Ski school insisted on helmets for them, so to defend against the "but why do I have to wear on if YOU aren't" argument, I hired one. Amazingly, it fitted! and you know what... my friends were right. It is comfortable, it is warm (we were in Stowe at 7F), it works well with goggles. So I bought it - well, not that exact helmet, but a new one Happy

Lessons learned?

1 - If my friend had have been wearing a helmet on that fateful day, he probably wouldn't have been scarred for life (although it's only a little scar and he's no movie star, so that's no real loss)

2 - It's not about how good a skier you are - it's the other fella you've got to watch out for.

3 - As resorts get busier, the chances of some prat sliding uncontrollably down the run on skis or a board and taking out half a lift queue with you in it, increases.

4 - They're comfortable, practical and warm. It also seems that wearing them is quite cool - according to my American friend's 15 year old son.

5 - If you're going to get one, get one that fits. If I can find one that fits my head - anyone can. Persevere.

6 - If you are unfortunate enough to get a thump on the bonce, why not let the plastic & polystyrene take the hit instead of relying on whatever hair you have left to protect you.

7 - It's YOUR choice - make it & get on with your life. My friend still doesn't wear a helmet but four of the six from that trip now do. . . . and we still talk to him.

CW Happy

PS: This time last year my mum fell down about 4 stairs onto a carpeted wooden floor. She suffered a bleed in her brain that has left her with permanant memory damage. There might be more important things than saving your life (and I fully accept that that might have coloured my decision) snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 6-01-09 1:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
What is all this wooly hat itching business... ?? buy a decent hat..FFS..!!
latest report
Hmm, I'm beginning to think that if I see too much more proselytizing about helmets, I might stop wearing mine. (Like I only started to smoke because my father kept telling me not to.) Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle, sometimes I think I smoke just to p:ss people off Laughing .
latest report
maggi, Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle,

I hope you didn't think I was proselytising - it certainly wasn't my intention.

Like I said in a post up near the top of this page...

"I wear a helmet.

Sometimes."

.. and as I said at point 7 a couple of posts up

"It's YOUR choice - make it & get on with your life."

I've no axe to grind either way, just sharing my experience for the common good and feeling all warm and fuzzy as a result. Very Happy

CW Happy
ski holidays
cardweg, no worries, I was only joking!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy