Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who wears a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
tuxpoo wrote:
This all defies logic to me, sorry.

They will reduce the severity of an injury, hopefully enough to prevent death

actually the increase in people wearing helmets has not reduced ski related deaths

I sometimes wear a helmet Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Insufficient evidence to decide Madeye-Smiley

(but hypothetically, (S)He should be something of a skiing, er 'God', and therefore NEVER ski other than perfectly, thus making any form of protection unnecessary. Laughing )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Axsman, God would board anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski wrote:
WTF kind of helmet are these experiences based on?!! Confused Something of German origin from the last war in a shade of purple? Very Happy

You can take your pick: I've got a POC Skull Comp with removeable chin guard; a POC Synapsis; a SH+ slalom helmet with chin guard; and have used in the last couple of years a Boeri something or other and a Scott something or other. They all had the same drawbacks as I listed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops wrote:
Axsman, God would board anyway Very Happy

Only coz He's not good enough to ski...

Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, Well again hypothetically, God would ski, board and even monoski Shocked perfectly. And clearly the holy resort of choice would be in the mountains above south lake Tahoe. Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might start wearing a rugby skull cap Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Axsman wrote:
And clearly the holy resort of choice would be in the mountains above south lake Tahoe. Laughing

That's a heavenly joke Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman, only when not playing at inside center for Wales wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having skiid before turning to the dark side I never wore one until after my first week boarding when i slam dunked the back of my head on the hard packed snow too many times to remember; the lid looks o.k., keeps my ears/head warm,keeps my goggles in place, gives me that extra confidence on the icy stuff and when attempting the odd kicker and my new one even has headphones built in for those times when i want to hear a bit of music.

Personally I'd say its now seen as quite usual for boarders to wear them. Skiers tend to frown on them as they dont tend to end up smacking their heads when they have a mishap unless there into jumps and extreme stuff.

Like wearing cycle helmets it should be your choice whether you wear one. However Mrs Q.C has one ( in pink obviously) and the 2 kinder wear them, my youngest (7yrs) has a green dragon cover for hers which she thinks is cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops wrote:
God would board anyway Very Happy

Well, he does move in a mysterious way
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski, one of the reasons I started wearing a helmet was because I was skiing with Rob while he was wearing his at least three years ago, and so I thought, OK, its not so geeky...

If he chooses days and reasons not to occasionally, then that's OK too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
alex_heney, well said, again. Those people who post contrary positions to helmet use often seem to argue that because they don't make you invincible there is no point in wearing one. ......

But I do not.

achilles wrote:
I have already said that I do wear a helmet when skiing through trees to protect myself from minor injuries.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm always entertained when people laugh at the idea that skiers might push their limits more when wearing a helmet. I certainly tend to ski a bit less hard if I'm not wearing a helmet.

I wear a helmet most of the time when skiing. Like Rob, sometimes I dont if I know that I will be pootling about with lower level skiers. I've done this and then had an opportunity to let it rip (e.g., they go in and I stay up for a couple more runs). Guess what? I've been more cautious about my speed without my lid on.

I wear a helmet on my bike. One day I left it in he office. I was EXTRA careful on that ride home with cornering speeds, avoiding ironwork, paintlines, etc (and I'm quite a cautious cyclist - always ride as if other road users are going to do something stupid).

If I wasn't wearing a seat belt would it change my driving? I think it would. I like to think I'm a pretty sensible driver anyway but I would probably keep an even greater distance to the car in front, do my braking a bit earlier rather than carry speed, etc.

Surely this is absolutely rational? If the consequence of a fall/crash are likely to be worse you'd invest a bit more effort in avoiding the fall/crash?

The extreme thought experiment is, how would you drive if instead of a seatbelt and airbags you had a six-inch spike in the middle of your wheel. Anyone who says they would drive the same as usual is either a liar or an idiot.

There's another analogy here. Skiing off-piste, the avalanche risk is never clear cut and never zero. If I see a nice patch of powder beside the piste that I judge to be safe then I will ski it even if I'm not carrying avvy gear. But I wont ski terrain that is further away, steeper, etc without the kit. I will take more avalanche risk when I am carrying safety gear.

In my view, "risk compensation" (taking more risk if you are more protected) is a very real issue (and incidently has been demonstrated in lots of research). I think people who laugh at the concept are probably not doing enough to challenge themselves about whether THEY are actually risk compensating to a dangerous extent. I try to actively think about it - "now, would you ski that quickly in those trees without the lid? No? May be you should ease off a bit".

By the way, the argument that the only reason not to wear a helmet is vanity is bogus. I don't wear one ski-touring for example. It would be a useful safety tool but just too hot to wear on a 6 hour climb and to awkward to have on the back of your rucsac.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="rayscoops"][b]Axsman[/b], only when not playing at inside center for Wales wink[/quote]

You must be mistaken, God plays at 13 for Ireland... oh, sorry, that's BOD

rolling eyes

CW Happy
latest report
cardweg, but he should wear a helmet when playing against the 'warriors' of NZ wink actually I meant to say the 'son of God', because both walked on water Very Happy
snow conditions
This is getting worse. I was addicted to snowHead , now I'm addicted to endless Helmet Threads Evil or Very Mad

Question -- for you folks who know you ski slower without a helmet.

Do you think you're selfish? Fact is you can injure someone else with or without a helmet. Yet it is only self-preservation which seems to matter, even although you conciously recognise that you take unacceptable risks when you wear a helmet?
snow conditions
Agenterre, As well as the flames on my helmet, I'm thinking of getting nice sharp spikes on the front of it, a bit like Jonathan E's in Rollerball. Gloves to match of course. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Agenterre, no that is not what I have said, I board responsibly with a lid and do not take risks that would endanger others, but I board even more conservatively with out a helmet - slower in fact.

edit Agenterre, most on piste deaths are from collisions, so if helmets were banned peeps would ski slower and there would be less collisions (as most collisions are due to speed), and there would be less deaths - QED Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 7-01-09 20:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rayscoops, i know you havent but others have alluded to it... and I confess to twisting the argument ( just a little!) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
jedster, as a fellow lidhead I agree with you but think the reason we ski more cautiously when we're not wearing a helmet might be because we exercise even more caution than them what never does. wink

jedster wrote:
I wear a helmet most of the time when skiing. Like Rob, sometimes I dont if I know that I will be pootling about with lower level skiers. I've done this and then had an opportunity to let it rip (e.g., they go in and I stay up for a couple more runs). Guess what? I've been more cautious about my speed without my lid on.

If I wasn't wearing a seat belt would it change my driving? I think it would.

Same here but is it possible that we both started skiing a few years back (without helmets) so that when we are without them now, it feels a bit like driving without a seatbelt (except for that annoying alarm noise every time you go over 5 mph). My Dad drove like a nutter for years (especially after a skinful), without a seatbelt for him or his passengers (me and my siblings) and wouldn't have thought once about it. I suspect he might actually think about slowing down now if he wasn't using one - not because times have changed so much as it being what he (like you and I) has got used to.

jedster wrote:
By the way, the argument that the only reason not to wear a helmet is vanity is bogus. I don't wear one ski-touring for example. It would be a useful safety tool but just too hot to wear on a 6 hour climb and to awkward to have on the back of your rucsac.

Same here but when ski touring, I am usually on my own so there're no Muppets to crash in to me, there aren't any trees to ski through (here in Scotland at least) and the snow is always soft and untracked, not hard, icy and head banging. Laughing
latest report
moffatross wrote:
jedster, as a fellow lidhead I agree with you but think the reason we ski more cautiously when we're not wearing a helmet might be because we exercise even more caution than them what never does. wink

jedster wrote:

If I wasn't wearing a seat belt would it change my driving? I think it would.

Same here but is it possible that we both started skiing a few years back (without helmets) so that when we are without them now, it feels a bit like driving without a seatbelt (except for that annoying alarm noise every time you go over 5 mph). My Dad drove like a nutter for years (especially after a skinful), without a seatbelt for him or his passengers (me and my siblings) and wouldn't have thought once about it. I suspect he might actually think about slowing down now if he wasn't using one - not because times have changed so much as it being what he (like you and I) has got used to.

jedster wrote:

Same here but when ski touring, I am usually on my own so there're no Muppets to crash in to me, there aren't any trees to ski through (here in Scotland at least) and the snow is always soft and untracked, not hard, icy and head banging. Laughing
As the insurers ramp up their risk aversion there will come a time when they will refuse to pay out or cut the award in respect of any claim resulting from head injuries where the injured was not wearing a helmet. If that's not the case now then it's only a matter of time.
snow report
snowheadajw, welcome to snowHead 's ! Laughing

And FWIW I think you are absolutely right. Such insurance restrictions will almost certainly start in the US (if they haven't already) and spread to Europe.
ski holidays
snowheadajw, Welcome. Yup, agree with that - In a few years time it will probably be as unthinkable not to wear a helmet skiing as it is currently not to wear a seatbelt in a car.
snow report
allanm wrote:
snowheadajw, Welcome. Yup, agree with that - In a few years time it will probably be as unthinkable not to wear a helmet skiing as it is currently not to wear a seatbelt in a car.

I don't think it will go that far, that quickly. It will become more common for a range of factors, but I think the only thing which will make it as unthinkable as not wearing a seatbelt is legislation, which is the only thing which made wearing seatbelts ubiquitous.
snow report
rob@rar, Ditto motorcycle helmets.

But I do agree with snowheadajw's point that it will likely be insurance costs/terms that drive increased helmet wearing while skiing, rather than legislation . That said, an Austrian Ski instructor told me last year that helmet wearing was becoming a legal requirement for them and their pupils of whatever age in the next year or so.

I suspect that in any situation where someone could be held 'liable' for any damage that could have been mitigated by the wearing of a helmet, helmet wearing will by one route or another become 'compulsory'.
latest report
I'd rather not wear a helmet because I just prefer wearing a hat but I do recognise that I should wear my helmet much more than I actually do.

I wear it all of the time when in the snowdomes but for some starnge reason, only wear it while on the mountain when attempting things I feel are out of my comfort zone (trees, off-piste etc). I did have an altercation with a tree and a piece of ice in Val D'Isere last month that brought home the benefit of a helmet.

It's basic; helmets look crap on the vast majority of people and it's the style that puts most people off them.
latest report
Specialman wrote:
....It's basic; helmets look crap on the vast majority of people and it's the style that puts most people off them.

I really don't care how I look (as those who have skied with me will testify wink) The biggest bind for me is lugging the thing around whilst travelling - however you do it, it is inconvenient. That said, for the sake of preventing minor injury, I think the effort worthwhile - just.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Perhaps the fact that I wore a seatbelt in a car long before they were compulsory, go's someway to explaining why I wear a hat now, it's just individuals' differing risk assessments. Everyone to their own whilst helmet wearing remains optional, same as seatbelt wearing was.
snow conditions
Quote:
helmets look crap on the vast majority of people and it's the style that puts most people off them.

I agree with the first half of that, but disagree with the second half.

I think in general, the vast majority of people look crap, helmets or not, and the really cool looking skiers/snowboarders are split fairly well down the middle as to who wears helmets and who doesn't in my experience. In Livigno, all the coolest people wear helmets as you can't get into the snow park without one, and the really skillful skiers/snowboarders make them look cool.

Same thing seemed to be the pattern in Les Deux Alpes the past few Easters, even though helmets aren't compulsory in their snowpark.
snow report
achilles wrote:
The biggest bind for me is lugging the thing around whilst travelling - however you do it, it is inconvenient.

Stick your goggles inside it - thus protecting the goggles, and then gloves over the goggles and do up the chinstrap - pad out with a fleece top if necessary. Chuck in big bag.

How is that inconvenient??
snow report
I will now be wearing a helmet from this season forward, nice present for Christmas ............... not for confidence as over confidence will cause you to crash but purely for saftey and the slopes are getting busier with more "risk" takers who haven't a clue what they are doing ......................
snow report
RobW, BTDT. In fact it is still want I do. However, It is a hard shape which is inconvenient when laying things like a shovel handle around it. An once one has ranged reasonable padding around it so that it is reasonably protected from baggage handlers drops casing the helmet unseen damage, it is rather awkward to do up internal panel zips. It's all get round-able - it's just close on not worth the effort. Far more likely to save me real grief would be an ABS backpack - but I don't tout one of those at all. Funny old world.
latest report
RobW, most trips I only take my board bag (rammed full) and some airlines now tend not to let helmets in hand luggage, and now that I have thought about it, this is the main reason I did not wear one last season, and if I board a bit slower without it, well I am doing my bit for slope safety Very Happy
latest report
RobW wrote:
Chuck in big bag. How is that inconvenient??

Well it is if you don't ski with a big bag! Which I don't. I'm not a gnarly skier so don't carry avalanche equipment. I'd find it inconvenient as I'd have to take the blooming thing on and off my back every chairlift ride. Also, the times I get most hot and bothered and take off my hat, is standing up in a sunny, overcrowded, smelly gondola. Trying to get a helmet off and put it into a backpack would be impossible. And I wouldn't fancy skiing with it in my pack either, especially falling onto it.

Now I really don't care whether you all wear helmets or not. My OH wears one and skis at the same pace and in the same conditions as me and I actually think they're probably a good idea. But stop telling me stuff like it's not inconvenient. Yes, it is! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
RobW, rayscoops, I just put mine in my boot bag, (with boots and all sorts of other stuff). B.A. don't seem to care what's actually in the 'sports' bags, even if there's obviously more than should be.

maggi, Yes it is inconvenient, I do take my lid off on lifts, though primarily to avoid strap marks. I just strap it to the bar, inconvenient, but no big deal really. I try to avoid gondolas anyway, wherever I can as, like you say, they can often be overcrowded and smelly.
snow report
maggi wrote:
Now I really don't care whether you all wear helmets or not. My OH wears one and skis at the same pace and in the same conditions as me and I actually think they're probably a good idea. But stop telling me stuff like it's not inconvenient. Yes, it is! Twisted Evil

OK, but only in the same way that wearing a couple of kilos of moulded plastic on each foot is. Would you take your boots off every time you get in a gondola and change into your slippers so you could let your feet 'breathe' ? Laughing
ski holidays
allanm, sorry mate I board and do not have a boot bag wink
moffatross, you can ski without a helmet, you can not without boots Little Angel

each to their own Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, It's obviously then easier for skiers to take a lid?? Why is it then that most boarders wear lids and most skiers don't.
snow conditions
It's a helmet not a space hopper.

They fit comfortably into a small rucksack, and use as hand luggage. Flown 3 or 4 times like that without any questions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy