Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who wears a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maggi, wot alex_heney said. I was quite surprised. As I'm somewhat "follically challenged", skiing without any hat tends to be too cold on all but the warmest days - and then I'd get a sunburned bonce. Opening the vents of the helmet gave me just the right level of ventilation, a compromise I'd never managed with a woolly hat.

And as should be clear from my earlier post - I'm fairly equivocal about helmets (except when skiing very hard on piste). It just happens to work for me fairly well at present.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear one. A few years ago I was skiing all by myself on the backside of the mountain. Last thing I remember was thinking that the snow was fantastic that day. An hour and a half later I "woke up" in a fog back on the front side of the mountain, with an egg on the back of my head, putting my skis in the rack, and getting ready to walk into the first aid station. To this day I have no idea what happened during that hour and a half. Shock
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NO

As far as Im aware Helmets for Skiing were concieved in the US primarily for tree skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
NO

As far as Im aware Helmets for Skiing were concieved in the US primarily for tree skiing.

You've never hit your head on a hard-packed piste? Or slammed into a piste marker or GS gate? Or gone head-first into deep snow not knowing what is underneath the surface? Or gone tree skiing in Europe? There are plenty of situations regardless of where you ski that a hemet may make difference between a heavy fall where you have to dust yourself off, or a crash in which your mild concussion means the loss of a couple of days skiing from a precious holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
stanton wrote:
NO

You've never hit your head on a hard-packed piste?
No

rob@rar wrote:
Or slammed into a piste marker or GS gate?
I dont race on Public slopes

rob@rar wrote:
Or gone head-first into deep snow not knowing what is underneath the surface?
I only ski DEEP POW.

rob@rar wrote:
Or gone tree skiing in Europe?
It is forbiden in most of St Anton.

rob@rar wrote:
There are plenty of situations regardless of where you ski that a hemet may make difference between a heavy fall where you have to dust yourself off, or a crash in which your mild concussion means the loss of a couple of days skiing from a precious holiday.

I'd say you need more hill time or more lessons Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:

You need to stop skiing so conservatively. The great joy of skiing is when you are skiing close to your limits (where falls are more likely to happen). You should also choose a resort which allows a bit of fun in the trees.

Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
NO

So what?

There are arguments for and against, but that isn't one of them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney wrote:
stanton wrote:
NO

So what?

Wrong , it is definitly one of them. Tree skiing is much more prevalent in the US in & out of bounds. Injuries & deaths occur.

Two famous victims
Michael Kenedy (son of Rob Kennedy)
Sonny Bono (Sonny & Cher)

IMO I believe it makes skiing more dangerous by giving those wearing them a false sense of security. Helmeted skiers, often feel invulnerable and tend to become reckless--skiing too fast and choosing piste or off-piste routes far above their ability. This I believe goes the same with folk carrying Rucksaks with spades & avalanche probes in commercial resorts when it is not neccesary. All you are doing is making the manufactures a fortune.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
stanton wrote:

The great joy of skiing is when you are skiing close to your limits (where falls are more likely to happen). You should also choose a resort which allows a bit of fun in the trees.

Wink

I,ve been there got the T-Shirt etc. I dont need any lectures or advice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
......I,ve been there got the T-Shirt etc. I dont need any lectures or advice.

So why do you think we need yours? Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love helmets threads, the more the merrier Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Helmeted skiers, often feel invulnerable and tend to become reckless--skiing too fast and choosing piste or off-piste routes far above their ability.

And your evidence for this is....?

or might it be the case that skiers who are concerned enough about safety to pay out a small fortune for a helmet, are LESS likely to behave 'recklessly' on the slopes?

wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, you have a decent point or two to make but if you troll all the time..they lose their impact..people just switch off when you post. Not ground-breaking news here.. I know Laughing

You decide which you like more..getting a bite or contributing? If the former, then it doesn't put you in the best light. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
stanton wrote:
NO

So what?

Wrong , it is definitly one of them.

Rubbish.

Quote:

Tree skiing is much more prevalent in the US in & out of bounds. Injuries & deaths occur.

And what, exactly, do you think that "fact" have to do with your original statement?

That may be one of the reasons why helmets became popular for skiing in the US, but that is completely irrelevant to the point.

What helmets were "originally conceived" for is completely irrelevant when deciding now whethehr you want to wear one or not.

Quote:

Two famous victims
Michael Kenedy (son of Rob Kennedy)
Sonny Bono (Sonny & Cher)

Also completely irrelevant. And, while irrelevant, I doubt if a helmet would have made much difference to Sonny, who AIUI skied backwards at high speed into a tree while attempting to catch an american football. (I don't recall what happened to Michael Kennedy).

Quote:

IMO I believe it makes skiing more dangerous by giving those wearing them a false sense of security. Helmeted skiers, often feel invulnerable and tend to become reckless--skiing too fast and choosing piste or off-piste routes far above their ability. This I believe goes the same with folk carrying Rucksaks with spades & avalanche probes in commercial resorts when it is not neccesary. All you are doing is making the manufactures a fortune.

Now that is a rational argument.

It is something often postulated, but I'm not sure there is enough evidence either way to be sure whether you are right or not. But I can certainly accept it as areasonable reason for not wanting to wear one.
ski holidays
blimey this is lke a mountain bike forum 20 years ago( if forums existed back then!). Nowadays its a given to wear a helmet on a bike and I am sure in time it will be the same for skiing. stanton your argument that wearing a helmet makes the skier feel invulnerable and tend to become reckless--skiing too fast and choosing piste or off-piste routes far above their ability is complete and utter tosh in my view. the same was said in mountain biking, its hard to quantify if people are taking more risks but in mountian biking the number of serious injuries ( head) has been reduced dramatically. I run abike park in the south west of england wnd will not allow anyone to ride without a full face lid. your attititude reminds me of theold timer roadies who never wear helemts on their bikes on the roads. these are the guys that regularly get their brains cleared up off the floor. my dad refused to wear a lid skiing until last year where he had 3 hrs concussion and a nasty stitsches skiing on piste where he hit his head on the snow ( not a tree not a rock just plain hard snow) now he is helmetted and goggles up all the time ( never wear sunnies as they also broke his nose pretty badly)
its your choice ( for the moment ) but I hazard a guess that more resorts will demand more people to wear lids
incidentallY I also organsie mountain bike races and we are stipultaing this year that kness, shins, elbows and hands are protected. This is more for our sake as we dont want to spend time mopping up little jonnys unprotected knee when we can have our first aiders working on someone with something far more serious. its a waste of our time and potentitally dangerous to otehr riders. leatt neck braces are also becoming more and more popular with bikers and in my view should be stanbdard for dh racing - go google stephen murray or tara llanes to find out more
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
stanton wrote:
......I,ve been there got the T-Shirt etc. I dont need any lectures or advice.

So why do you think we need yours? Toofy Grin

Exactly right! Laughing
snow report
torico wrote:
....your argument that wearing a helmet makes the skier feel invulnerable and tend to become reckless--skiing too fast and choosing piste or off-piste routes far above their ability is complete and utter tosh in my view. ...

I don't like disagreeing with another mountain biker but.... wearing pads and occassionally a 'pressure suit' on the bike definitely changes the way I feel and therefore the way I ride. I wouldn't go as far as 'invulnerable' and 'reckless' but there is definitely an effect. I can well imagine wearing a helmet would change the way a skier behaves.[/b]
snow conditions
torico, good points... and wearing a seat belt when driving my car made me much more reckless and gave me a sense of invulnerability driving much more out of control than when i wasnt wearing one.... rolling eyes
latest report
Higs I have felt the same invulnerability for about 3 mins in the car park then got on my bike - realised I was the same rider forgot about wearing the armour and rode the same as normal. same for ski helmets - it feels good in the shop but your attitiude for self preservation doesnt change when you are skiing as your first initial reactions arent to think about your helmet first and then make a decision to slow down or not - they are to protect yoruself the same as they would be with or without a helmet. your brain just doesnt rationalise things this slowly !
latest report
Nature has a way of weeding out the terminally reckless. Twisted Evil

Parents who don't fit and use secure child restraints in their cars help speed up this process by 'skipping' a generation Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Think of it as evolution in action.
snow conditions
torico wrote:
Higs ... your brain just doesnt rationalise things this slowly !

Maybe your brain works a bit faster than mine! I have once made a conscious decision that went something along the lines of "I'm on the big bike, I've got armour one, for once I'll try to keep up with Lee and Dave down here" (Lee and Dave are ten years younger than me and possess those 'bike skills' thingies I hear so much about). Next thing I know I'm coming round and my mates are deciding who's going to hospital with me. I do think it affects subconsciously too.

Anyway... the bike stuff's all a bit off-topic. I do think pads, helmets etc change behaviour but I don't think it's an argument not to wear it. I always wear a helmet off-road and frequently wear arm and leg pads in the UK, more in the Alps. In fact things have gone a bit the other way in that it's not that I feel invincible wearing armour, I now feel vulnerable if I've not got it on.
snow report
I wear a helmet .. Im also old enough to have driven (legally) without a seatbelt ( and airbags and crumple zones etc.). A helmet has no influence on my sense of self-preservation ... if I was that way overly-inclined Id stay at home.

This argument about folks being 'dafter' or more reckless if they were safety gear ( eg helmets) is total Be Nice please! crap and bollox from the macho Be Nice please! sub-human part of the population. The only amazing thing is it keeps coming up! ( Darwin was undoubtedly correct and his annual 'awards' testify to that).

Folks have raced cars since cars were invented .. the only difference between 100/90/80/70/60/50/40/30/20/10 years ago is that they now live ( for the most part ) to tell the tale. Safety features purely improve the chance of survival/lesser injury ...
snow conditions
If you have have a smoke alarm in your house do you subconciously tend to set fire to it more often?
latest report
Agenterre, next time you go skiing leave the helmet at home and report back as to whether you felt more vulnerable and skied a bit more within yourself without wearing it. I do not think people ski faster with safety gear on, but I believe they ski slower without it, I know I do

In fact any one who regularly wears safety gear/helmet should give it go to see how they feel on the piste, and report back
ski holidays
rayscoops, Been there done it .. no time to think about what's on top at my level of incompetence snowHead
snow report
Agenterre, I feel decidedly naked without having may @rse padding on and am a lot more careful in hard packed conditions Laughing I need the padding to protect my brain wink
ski holidays
rayscoops, .. and if I wanted to protect mine I'd wear the same wink snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wear one at all times.

ski holidays
Warmed up in here !!

I reckon if i invent some new ski toy I could sell it to everyone on this Forum Very Happy

Mountain Biking is Not Skiing. Ths is not anywhere near a "like for like" comparison.

How many folk in here are smokers & wear a Helmet ? You want to kill everyone else but still think your healthy & safe behind the mould . Do you all drive Volvos as well ? Very Happy
latest report
I just recon going 70+ mph on skis without a helmet isn't so sensible. Confused

Mind you, I've only properly needed a helmet when I've been stationary and been taken out while waiting on the side of the piste..
ski holidays
rayscoops, I've done that, forgot it one morning, made my way slowly back down to get it for the rest of the day. I didn't start skiing faster when I got it, I take more care without it and will not ski without it anymore, lets face it, if you own a helmet and crack your bonce without it you will feel like an utter utter pillock!
snow report
stanton wrote:
I reckon if i invent some new ski toy

Helmet = toy?

The recent thread about the 16 year old killing the Italian guy while his daughter watched might have been a bit different if he'd been wearing a helmet - along the lines of 'youth shatters elbow in on-piste collision.....other skier unscathed.'

I'm a non-smoker, helmet wearing, non-volvo driver. What do you care?
snow report
[quote="chrisdavis"]
stanton wrote:
I'm a non-smoker, helmet wearing, non-volvo driver. What do you care?
I dont , congratulations Very Happy
ski holidays
Wore one last year after a lot of people recommended it....i was boarding, switched to skiing this year and no looking back.....still wearing it.

I think it looks pretty cool with goggles too! Bonus!!

-Hugh
snow report
anotherproblem wrote:
rayscoops, I've done that, forgot it one morning, made my way slowly back down to get it for the rest of the day. I didn't start skiing faster when I got it, I take more care without it and will not ski without it anymore, lets face it, if you own a helmet and crack your bonce without it you will feel like an utter utter pillock!

i think that is the point - you take more care without your helmet !!! so you may not deliberately ski quicker with a helmet but you ski with more care with out one, so effectively you must be skiing slower - so does that in a round-about way mean you ski quicker with a helmet on your bonce ?? wink I doubt any one puts a helmet on for the purpose of skiing quicker (well maybe not) but I am sure people take it easier, as you suggest, without one Very Happy
snow report
I wear one and after seeing an article on the BBC website today am thinking of upgrading to a vegetable helmet if it will allow me to be more reckless....

"Motorcyclists in Nigeria have been wearing dried pumpkin shells on their heads to dodge new laws forcing them to wear helmets, authorities have said.

Officials in the northern city of Kano said they had stopped several people with "improvised helmets", following this month's introduction of the law. "

The article does include a downside (or upside depending on your perspective) of helmets which I must admit I had not previously considered....

"Stories have also appeared in the local papers highlighting passengers' fears that the helmets could be used by motorcyclists to cast spells on their clients, making it easy for them to be robbed.

"Some people can put juju inside the helmets and when they are worn the victim can either lose consciousness or be struck dumb," passenger Kolawole Aremu told the Daily Trust newspaper. ""

The article makes no reference as to whether it is uncool to wear sunglasses when wearing a dried pumpkin shell on your head.
latest report
I wear a helmet, and a bit of padding too and I smoke and ski trees, although generally not at the same time - no volvo though wink . My decision to wear this gear is soley based on the numerous [mostly head] injuries and collisions I have seen in my very short skiing career. The dents in my lid also indicate to me that it has been a worthwhile exercise. I know of several skiers who have started to wear a helmet after being stitched. Damage limitation??
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
I doubt any one puts a helmet on for the purpose of skiing quicker

I do. If I'm going to be pootling around the pistes with other people at considerably less than my normal pace I'll wear a hat. But if I know I'm going to be skiing fast (or if I don't know what my plans are, or if I know I'm going to ski off piste) I'll wear a helmet. Whether I have a hard top or a soft top on doesn't really cause my skiing style to change, but my intended skiing style does influence what I wear on my head.
snow conditions
rob@rar, so are you saying you would not ski as fast with out a helmet as you would with one?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy