Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have Lloyds TSB Platinum winter sports cover? Read on...................

Poster: A snowHead
First off, I'm not here to discuss the relative merits/deficiencies of any one policy over another, just the above, but if you're with another bank with a similar deal it may apply to you.

You may NOT be covered, despite what you believe........................

No I've not got a claim going through or anything like that, quite the inverse, I wanted to claify my position before going. Never can be too careful when it comes to insurance companies...................

My policy has a nominal start/end date every year falling smack in the middle of the normal snow season, and is worded as "a maximum of 17 days in any twelve months". Now what does that mean?

Because of the date that got me thinking. It's a bad date for my policy to end/start, maybe too late for this year, but if I cancel and restart the policy in , say, July, I'll get my full 17 days entitlement every year. Problem solved, right?

Well, no.....................It's whats called a "rolling" policy.

So here's the rub. If you went skiing/boarding in March last year, as I did, and plan on going in January of this year as I am, you may be in serious risk of being out of cover. As I went for two weeks last year, I now have just three days cover left this year (ie within the rolling 12 months)..............Got to buy the rest, which of course they'll be all too glad to sell me.............

It all depends what part of the season you take your trip, which means to take advantage of the automatic cover you have to go on the same date every year (for a fortnight trip) or have to buy EXTRA cover every other year to make sure you are covered.

Having pointed out that the entitlement ought to be "any 17 days in any one season", effectively December to April (if you go to the Southern Hemi to holiday you can afford the Extra insurance anyway), I'm awaiting a reply. Winter sports is effectively a seasonal activity, after all, and I, as a matter of course, had always treated the policy as such, which I've had for nigh on 15 years.

Unwittingly I may technically have been out of cover for whole chunks of previous trips.

So the policy is either worded by the insurers to deny claims, or out of ignorance. You pick.

I'm not after something I'm not entitled to, just a fair crack of the whip, especially in the curent climate. The upshot for Lloyds is that the monthly cost of my Platinum account is quite neatly balanced by the benefits it brings, it being a matter of convenience to keep it this way. But if some of the benefits aren't worth the paper they're written on, then bang goes the account.....

"Taking a chance" (ie holidaying for more days than my insurance covers me for), for me, is not an option. This policy covers my Canada trip every year. When I go to Europe it's less of an issue, though I still take alternative cover.

I'll let you know the outcome of the return call...............................

John.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BCjohnny, Interesting, but if you went in March last year and did not claim on the policy then how can they possibly know whether you have had your 17 days or not this "year" if you need to make a claim in January this year? Are they going to ask you on the claim form if you have already had a winter sports holiday during the policy duration which you did not claim for?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trenmold, yes, they will - and if you fail to declare it and they subsequently discover from data they hold (hmm, let me see - ah yes, your credit card, which they issued...) then they will declare your claim to be fraudulent as you have wilfully lied on your claim.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, as was actually pointed out to me by someone from Lloyds this morning, surprisingly enough.

But all insurance frorms require "all relevant facts". Can you imagine how much having a claim rejected for treatment/repatriation from Canada would cost? Or a public liability calim?

I'm no stick in the mud, and am prepared sometimes to sail close to the wind, but not in this case.

I'm happy with my house, and certainly don't want a mortgage on it, or, woe be tide, lose it. If I have to pay for extra insurance so be it.

But why should I when the "spirit" of the policy is wrong. And I thought other people, if they have one, may not be aware of the technicallities of it.

John.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BCjohnny, interesting points. Is your cover for your sole use or does it extend to your family also? I'm pretty sure that when I had the same account, I could switch from family to sole cover which provides greater coverage. This, of course, may be impractical if you are skiing with a family.

I changed bank recently and I now get 31 days cover for myself and family for winter sports but not for off-piste skiing/boarding without an instructor or guide. Glacier skiing is counted as a hazardous activity and is only available on an upgrade.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just me and the missus, who due to her inclinations doesn't even approach her full quota of days, as it were.

As regards "off piste" that's why I love Canada. Anywhere within the perimeter tape, as far as I'm concerned is fair game. You're never too far from a trail marked on the map, not that you would know it...............................

John.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BCjohnny, in my experience (which includes Lloyds TSB), insurance sold as an "extra" is not worth the paper it's written on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman wrote:
BCjohnny, in my experience (which includes Lloyds TSB), insurance sold as an "extra" is not worth the paper it's written on.

That's why I never buy my "extra" insurance from them.......................

John.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Me too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think what you say is probably true for any annual policy. You pay for 12 months coverage starting on date xxxx with usually 17 or 31 day's coverage for wintersports. The ski season doesn't come into it, other than buggering things up a bit if your policy starts mid season (mine does too).
I just pay the 31 days, which should cover me for 2 weeks and a few days/weekends in one season plus a week in the next season that's before the renewal date.
Next time, I'd arrange such insurance to start in June/July.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get "free" insurance with my bank account. Don't bother with it though, by the time I've added on the cost of the extras I need it's cheaper to buy a decent policy elsewhere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting, I've never thought about this before. Although to be honest i don't think i get quite enough days in for it to be a problem. It doesn't count days you don't ski, i.e. days travelling.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
Interesting, I've never thought about this before.

One of the reasons I raised it......................

And for some people when they find out it may be too late.

John.

Edit: typo....think the keypad's on the way out.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 30-12-08 16:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, even if you do 3x 6-day weeks on the snow but take one day off to get below the standard 17day coverage, how do you prove you took 1 day off? Doubt anybody would have their passes still, so can't call lift company for proof from their records Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think it would be a problem proving it if the resort you went to had an electronic lift pass system. I know every time i go to Verbier my details are still there on their system, and i don't always take the same pass.

I understand most insurance companies use lie detectors on their phone calls, so if it doesn't flag you up as not being honest i doubt they'd investigate further.
snow conditions
I've just renewed with direct travel. thei annual policy covers me for 17 days per trip. Each holiday is thus covered, as I can't afford a 3 week trip :S
snow report
nbt, brilliant, i'm with them too.
ski holidays
I'm with TSB and never thought about actually reading what the insurance covers me for Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed luckily or unluckily depending how you look at it I dont get 17 days in.

Is the cover itself actually decent??? Puzzled
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
I've just renewed with direct travel. thei annual policy covers me for 17 days per trip. Each holiday is thus covered, as I can't afford a 3 week trip :S

Spot on. I have a Llloyds TSB account and take the option of the free family insurance cover. A few years back I did pay the premium (£50) to upgrade this to cover winter sports, but then I found that it was cheaper to go with Direct Travel for the skiing insurance - and a far better policy.
ski holidays
The LTSB Platinum accouunt cover is with Axa and is very good, covering heli rescue, repat etc. It also covers spouses even when they are not travelling with you.

Mine started in June but I'll keep an eye on time used up.
latest report
On the insurance front, beware some companies will not cover you if you have already left the country. So if you are relying on booking your insurance by phone as you drive through France, don't.
snow report
Yeah, just to clarify a couple of points.............

The 17 days winter sports cover for me and my missus is "free" (yes, I now it's not, but that's another argument........) with my Platinum account. Don't have to pay an extra penny, just opt for it. And, being wary of "free" insurance policies, I did check the cover and it does seem pretty decent, and at least on par with similar ones on the market.

It also covers us for unlimited worldwide holiday travel too. So it's worth about £70-80 at current market rates.

But it's not worth jack as it's worded. Not in the real world, too me.

Lloyds TSB promised to call me back yesterday, to answer my questions. Guess what........?

The account costs a shade under £200 a year to run, which may seem like dead money, but with the other "free" benefits it just about balances out what I would pay on the open market, give twenty quid or so. Being automatic each year appeals to my lazy side, so it don't get changed.

But with questionable winter sports cover..........................

Call me naive, but my main problem with it is the wording, or the "rolling" nature of it. Why not say "in each season", so we all know the lie of the land? Instead of a policy which makes a warranty issued by a used car salesman (no offence) look cast iron.

This has now been compounded by the fact no-one can, or will give me a straight answer.

So thanks L/TSB. Twenty seven years loyalty, and three seperate accounts (one personal, one joint, and one business). Guess I'll have to start shopping around.

John.
snow conditions
BCjohnny,

I can see your point, as you keep this insurance year after year. But a lot of people don't automatically renew, so may switch to a different insurer each year, in which case it wouldn't work.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
I get "free" insurance with my bank account. Don't bother with it though, by the time I've added on the cost of the extras I need it's cheaper to buy a decent policy elsewhere.

I get annual travel insurance with my bank account too. It seems fine for what I need and includes 17 days per trip wintersports cover. However I also need some sort of accident cover to pay my mortgage in the event of an injury which stops me from working. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find such cover...
snow report
queen bodecia, isn't that Income Protection for Mortgages? I did a temp job at UNUM when a student, and I was processing applications for this type of cover.
snow conditions
I have got income protection for my mortgage, but it doesn't include skiing injuries whilst on holiday (bizarrely it would cover an injury at the Tamworth Snowdome, go figure!). I have had separate insurance specifically for skiing in the past, but the insurer concerned will no longer cover me since I had cancer...
latest report
James the Last, yeah mine is only for travel commencing in country of residence and finishing in country of residence within so many days (50 i think), but doesn't mention anything about having to travel to foreign country or having to travel by some form or public transport.
snow report
queen bodecia, really? I think a lot of people would be unaware of that, and assume they're covered...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will check the policy again but I'm pretty sure skiing on holiday is one of the exclusions...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, i don't doubt you're right, but it must be an absolute minefield. I assume all other "hazardous" activities are excluded also? Diving, bungee jumping, windsurfing? But where do they draw the line? What about playing football on holiday? Statistically speaking i would guess a lot more likely than skiing to cause an injury requiring time off work...
ski holidays
The LTSB gold account policy that I had wouldn't pay out, on a technicality that I don't recall, when my ski boots got minced by a conveyor at Gatwick. That was several years ago, so may not be entirely relevant.
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:

Call me naive, but my main problem with it is the wording, or the "rolling" nature of it. Why not say "in each season", so we all know the lie of the land?

I just don't see the problem (apart from the numbre of days not being enough for you) Puzzled . I would have a bigger issue with "per season" I skied in September this year - how does that fit with the definition? x number of days per year is very clear. (I have Lloyds Gold)
snow conditions
Another reason to ski scotland! Shock
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

Call me naive, but my main problem with it is the wording, or the "rolling" nature of it. Why not say "in each season", so we all know the lie of the land?

I just don't see the problem (apart from the numbre of days not being enough for you) Puzzled . I would have a bigger issue with "per season" I skied in September this year - how does that fit with the definition? x number of days per year is very clear. (I have Lloyds Gold)

I'm not quite sure you're aware of the limitations of the policy, or have read all the posts........................

You can take, say, two weeks in March 2008, and two weeks in Jan 2009 AND BE SKIING/BOARDING FOR THE LAST NINE DAYS OF THE SECOND TRIP WITH NO INSURANCE.

You don't get "17 days each year", you get "17 days in any one period of twelve months". There is a massive difference............................

I'd be more than happy with "17 days each year".

John.
snow report
BCjohnny, Yes, I have read the complete thread (NO NEED TO SHOUT). It's obvious that if you have an annual policy that gives you 17 days cover during the year it is in force then you would not be covered if you have 2 trips during that time which come to more than 17 days. It's difficult to see why you woudl think otherwise....

My policy starts on 12th January, therefore I make sure that the total number of days I am going to ski by 11th Jan the followign year is no more than 17 days, if it is likely I would increase the cover. example: my sking from 12th Jan 09 - 11 Jan 2010 will be 6 days in March (booked) and 3 days in December (potentially 9 days so far); I might do another 6 days in February and 6 in April (potentially 21 - too many), so, if I do go in feb I know already that I won't have cover by the April trip because that would be 6 days in Feb, 6 days in March and 6 days in April = 18 days, so I will buy extra cover before the april trip, however if I decide not to ski in April my total days before 11th Jan 2010 will only be 15 so I will be covered until the the policy starts again on 12th Jan.
snow conditions
SORRY FOR SHOUTING.........................

But you still don't get it do you? The devil is in the detail.

As has been explained to me it is a "rolling policy", it has no start or end date. Your policy only "starts" when initiate it, ie open an account, and it only "ends" when, for instance, you shut the account.

It "rolls" from year to year and ANYTIME you excede 17 days in ANY twelve month period, you are out of cover. The dates on your "Upgrade Schedule" mean nothing, only showing when you re-elect to take out the option again, as you must do each year. From the point of view of actual insurance cover, it is meaningless.

Your policy "date" is lucky as it focuses your mind on dates, as it falls in the "season". So you count either side of the date.

Now imagine your policy "date" started last September. Book your seventeen days for this "season". And then your policy "starts" again next September. Book your seventeen days for next "season". If the two holidays overlap, IN ANY 12 MONTHS, you are out of cover, by as much as ten days.

If it was "any 17 days in a season" the vast majority of policy holders would benefit. A slight policy re-wording would be all that's required.

If you have it in writing that it does have a start and end date, then great, send me a copy. I'll cancel my policy in July of this year and immediately re-start it. End of problem. Seventeen days a season, nice as you like.

As it stands at the moment I'm going to scrap the account, get a nice cheap shiny green card instead of a useless platinum one and, with the nice folding I save, get a proper policy that I don't have to book my holidays around. One that actually has a start and end date.

John.
ski holidays
BCjohnny, I've just got it! Wintersport is included on the platinum account, isn;t it. I have to pay £50 to upgrade with the gold policy hence I have a start and end date (I've got the renewal notice in my hand with the dates on it)
snow report
No problem............subtle eh! Crafty sods.

And a piece of advice. If your "wintersport" upgrade is an extension of your ordinary "free" travel insurance, that I believe comes with a "Gold" account, do yourself a favour and check the wording.

Gonna get me a proper policy when I cancel my account.

John.
snow conditions
BCjohnny, the renewal states "Period of Insurance (Excluding Upgrades0): The period commencing on the date when you opened a new Gold service account.... please note that the period of insurance relating to your upgrades will be different and are detailed below.....Winter Sports Start Date 13th January 2008 End Date 12th January 2009.... is operative for a maximum of 17 days in the period of insurance shown in the schedule"

It think if I had a Platinum I'd be doing the same is you.
ski holidays
Yours is good as is by the looks of it.

More than can be said for mine.

Anyone work for L/TSB like to chime in?

John.[/b]
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy