Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last minute quiet resort in europe

Poster: A snowHead
hey everyone, can anyone recommend a good resort in europe that it relatively quiet on the slopes and have a decent ski area? i was thinking passo tonale in italy, anyone been there? i can go mid jan or late feb so any ideas will be welcome
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Risoul/Vars is an excellent match, if you don't mind something of a slog from the nearest airport - I think that's Turin, but I have heard it argued that it's Marseille Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After this week (New Year) most places are going to be very quiet until the end of January. Late February will be busier, so if you travel in mid-January you can take your pick of resorts just about anywhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sainte Foy!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always quiet down here in the Pyrenees... Have a look at the largest one - Bareges/La Mongie (over 100km of runs and lots of off-piste), its higher than alot of alpine resorts too...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sabraham, I've been to Passo Tonale (last week of Jan or first week of Feb Confused ) and it wasn't mad busy then. We enjoyed it but much depends on what you are looking for - give us a bit more detail (type of accommodation, nightlife, restaurants etc) and by decent ski area do you mean big or varied or both, and we can help Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sabraham, the best way to find somewhere quiet is to go in mid January and go somewhere which is not in the British package tour operators brochures. At the moment there are few signs of much snow being around between now and mid January - so I'd wait till the last minute. Maybe just book flights; there'll be heaps of accommodation available.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're off to Risoul on Sunday, never been to France before so we're really looking forwards to it. It will be our fourth year of skiing after having been to Bulgaria twice (Borovets and Pamporovo) and then Pas de la casa last year.

The transfer time is quite long but I'm hoping it will mean a quieter resort with less queues for the lifts.

I'll let you know what it's like but looking at the snow levels there I've got high hopes for a good week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Antz, you should have a quiet week - it's hypo low season. Do report back and tell us about it. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Antz, you should have a quiet week - it's hypo low season. Do report back and tell us about it. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sabraham, Les Contamines would fit the bill, around 1 1/4 hours from Geneva, decent area, pretty snow sure, can ski into resort with anything like decent weather. Stay at Le Chemenz, near the lift decent food, decent price. -- My best shot
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Antz, a friend skied in Risoul a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it - the transfer isn't too bad apparently. Have a great time and let us know Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sabraham, I skied in Passo Tonale in March 2006. Good points: it's high and has great snow; it's quiet and compact and most accommodation is very near the lifts; it's relatively easy, I seem to remember only one run that made me wobble; it's good value for money; it shares a lift pass with other resorts like Madonna Di Campigilio, so you can enjoy awaydays by bus or car. Bad points: the ski area isn't huge, I think I did it all twice in 5 days; there are hardly any shops; nightlife is limited, but cheap; it's a long transfer from Verona; it's quite an ugly village and the main road runs right through it...

Hope this helps, but like others have said, there are plenty of other resorts that may fit the bill...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Passo is hi and very snow sure, linked Ponte de Legno is worth a visit and this is covered in the lift pass
Passo itself is a little charmless but not too bad. As other posters have said prices are v reasonable.
We hardly queued for lifts. The food and wines have a Germanic theme and I must say we ate well there.
Would I go back - Yes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote Sainte Foy !! shhhhhh don't tell everyone Wink
snow report
I was in Passo Tonale in 2006 and loved it. It's not an extensive area but plenty for a developing skier. We stayed in Paradiso hotel which is right at a lift - umbrella bar there was always great for apres. I just loved the Paradiso black run which would be a red in france. Wide open north facing. Glacier (Presna?) run is good too - but T-bar drag not much fun. I'd go back again.
ski holidays
I don't see any problem in skiing a run twice in 5 days.
snow report
pam w, I didn't have a problem with it at all. I think some runs I skied 5 or 6 times. But someone who is looking for the sort of piste mileage that 3V (for example) offers might be disappointed with Passo Tonale...

Generally I look for resorts with 100km or above, and access to other neighbouring resorts is a bonus. For some, anything less than 250km is not sufficient...
snow conditions
Quote:

But someone who is looking for the sort of piste mileage that 3V (for example) offers might be disappointed with Passo Tonale..

or almost any other ski resort in Europe or North America. But if what they want is quiet pistes, they should stay away from the hyper-ski factories.

Les Contamines is a good place to ski and there's a fair amount of English spoken there. If the weather is such that the snow is good down to 1100m the Espace Diamant would be good to (185km of linked pistes) linking Praz sur Arly, Flumet, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, Crest Voland and Les Saisies. In January, in the Arly Valley, we generally have entire pistes to ourselves (though it's not recommended for people who are not confident on drag lifts). The area is just a big further on than Megeve.
snow conditions
i like to ski the sme runs a fair few times over a week as you find more each time if an interesting run.. off the edges, jumps, a bit of fresh snow means that whilst you are doing the same numbered/named piste... it can be different everytime !

I quite fancy Les Contamines, i will be visiting that for sure next season as have three trips booked this year Very Happy

I have been to Risoul and loved the place, pretty quiet slopes away from the main hu. easy link to Vars. Details can be found in resort reviews. I liked it so much, I am going back this february.Antz, let me know how it is when you are away.

I'm off to Joue Du Loup on 10th Jan first tho.
ski holidays
I'd be looking at a place outside the Euro-zone so as not to get a 1.1 hit on the £. The Chf might work but stay away from Verbier or Zermatt for starters
wink
latest report
cheers everyone for getting back to me. well the story goes like this. its my girlfriends first time skiing and i want her to enjoy it as much as possible hence the reason i would prefer to take her to an uncrowded resort so that she can build up her confidence. now the reason i am looking for somewhere with a decent ski area is to keep me going for the week, im more of a red run going to black run skier. my main priority though is to have somewhere where my girlfriend can get to grips with skiing and have the space on the slopes to do this properly. she is going for lessons at the chill factore before hand so that will give her a bit of a head start so that she wont be on the baby slopes for a week
latest report
sabraham,

I think Tonale would fit your bill. Cheap, snow sure, loads of gentle beginner runs and a lovely long blue confidence builder. Think it's called Viablio. Not a massive resort, but I've been twice now and thinking of going a third time. Runs above Ponte di Ligno are great.
snow conditions
sabraham, Would agree with johnboy,'s assessment. We really liked Passo Tonale - I was a skier with over 20 years experience and my friend was a nervous 2nd or 3rd year skier. We both liked the wide pistes and space. She had a few private lessons with an instructor whose family ran the hotel we were staying in (Orchidea - can also recommend) - ski instructor by day, barmaid by night! It's not a party town, but there are a couple of bars etc.
latest report
Anniepen,

Another vote for the Orchidea. Stayed there in 2002 and remember the ski instructing bar maid. All the staff in the Orchidea were very polite and helpful. Just seen a great deal on teletext for around £335.00 H/B to Orchidea and am really tempted.
snow conditions
johnboy, oooh - don't blame you Very Happy The hotel was well-run, clean, warm, good food - what more could you want? Very Happy
snow conditions
I stayed at the Miramonti. A massive 'orange' hotel. Friendly staff and a great leisure complex but a very noisy bar/disco right outside my window. Also the stone spiral staircase down to the ski lockers was quite a challenge in ski boots and carrying skis. Perfect location though, right opposite the lifts...

Sounds like Passo Tonale would be ideal for you. Some good beginner runs for your girlfriend and you'll love Paradiso and Alpina...
ski holidays
can anyone tell me what the ski school in passo tonale is like? is it english speaking? ive been to la thuile in the past and the ski school wasnt all that good. i was tempted to take her to yllas in lapland but i think i would get bored quickly there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been to Tonale 3 times now with the family and agree that it should be well suited to you.There are a lot a confidence-building runs close together so the resort is easy to get around,and lots of more challenging stuff through trees in the newly-linked Ponte di Legno(which is a lovely town)
Generally the locals are a very friendly bunch and prices are very good,even with the crap pound.
I you go say hello to Manuel and Mauro in El Bait-great cocktails.Try the Capareno
Cheers
Iain
snow report
sabraham, good question about the ski school - I've never been there, but would suggest you chase up recommendations for a place with guaranteed small group, English-language, tuition, because the quality of the tuition will be the most important aspect of the holiday if you're hoping your GF will get the skiing bug. A few dry slope lessons beforehand, then sliding around on your own for a week is absolutely NOT a good idea. You could try Les Gets and the BASS ski school there.
latest report
From the ski school point of view I wouldn't recommend Les Contamines, much as I like the place, as it would be a case of taking pot luck with the ESF.
snow report
yes i guess the most important thing for this holiday is uncrowded slopes witha good ski school. i would love to take her to canada,the ski school there is second to none but just cant afford that this year. thought the ski school in andorra was good but the classes where huge 15+ in one group and the slopes where mad busy. i just need to find somewhere with the right balance.
latest report
I didn't use the ski school in Passo Tonale myself (prefer to ski alone) but some people in my hotel didn't have any problems...
latest report
sabraham, my friend had some private lessons as, despite being an OK skier, she lacks confidence. The lessons were with Sonia (the daughter of the owners of our hotel, as above) and cost IIRC about 30 euros for 1.5 hours. Booked via the ski school. My friend was very happy with the instruction and found Sonia to be patient and encouraging - her English was fine.
snow conditions
sabraham, I was in Passo Tonale 4years ago with a mixed group, two sporty teenagers, a nervous lady, a five year old beginner, two intermediate blokes and a lady who was in the top group for lessons. They all loved the ski school. Don't know how much it will have changed in those four years though.
latest report
passo tonale it is then i think. the resort does seem quite cheap compared to similar resorts in austria. i mean im not sure on the difference in all round quality but oburgurgl seems similar size similar kind of rund similar height and uncrowded yet its double the price. can any of you lovely people recommend a good place to stay in passo tonale thats ski in ski out or a short walk away from the slopes?
ski holidays
Nowhere is more than 10 minutes from the slopes, ski school etc., but I can recommend the Orchidea from personal experience, although it IS the hotel furthest down the (one) road! Still no more than 10 minutes and you can store skis etc in the hire shops, at the lifts, so not really a hassle. The hotel has it's own website http://www.hotelorchidea.net/ - I emailed them before we arrived to see if we could ensure a balcony room and they replied in English, so worth a try Very Happy
snow report
we stayed in the Sport Vittoria and it was good. Location is ideal just across the road from the lifts and the food was lovely. Decor of the hotel was a touch tired but the location more than makes up for that. It has a small pool and a health suite and at that time it was excellent value for money.
snow conditions
As I said before I can highly recommend The Orchidea although it is a small walk to the lifts as Anniepen, says
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy