Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride ski's... some advice wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm currently skiing on Atomic SX12 183's which are just awesome for on the piste and slightly off it. However I have started venturing into the deep stuff and would like to start looking at a set of ski's that would be better for those sorts of conditions.

I'd like a set that is more suited to the soft stuff but also allows me to ski down the piste.

The guys in the ski shop where i ski recomended the Voekl Tiger Sharks & Kastells.. but with both priced Eur1000+ thats to expensive (esp with euro pound parity on the way)

Can anyone offer some advice ? Or perhaps point me in the direction of an older thread that covers this topic.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.skipressworld.com/usa/index.php/myski-9.html

This site consistantly finds the "best" year after year. Look at buying skis from german ebay powersellers - OR ebay UK shops who are scrapping over the last few people out there looking for skis. There are a few German/Austrian sellers that have been auctioning Grizzlys over the last few weeks - market value? Around 600 euros that's a HECK of a drop from what people are TRYING to get for them.

TigerSharks are all well and nice - but they can be narrow-waisted depending on the model you want - if you're going off piste you'll want a thicker plank - especially if you're in the deep stuff.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Speedster, I just bought the Nordica Enforcers (available in twin tip and standard tail)... fantastic both on and off piste. I'd look at a few skis in the 90 - 100mm range and maybe demo before puchasing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott missions/punisher - both v good on/off piste skis. These always come out v well in reviews.

have heard v good things about the new Saloman Lord which has come out this season. Seems to top many of the reviews for all mountain skis.

I have some K2 public enemys which are also awesome all mountain skis (although leaning towards a park ski). K2 have re named the public enemys this season (not sure what theyre now called) but definitely check out the K2 range.

1000 euros is a lot. Personally i would think you can get a v good pair (e.g. K2, nordica, Scott) for £300 - 500.

You probably need to be a bit more specific about the proportion of on/off piste skiing you are doing though....ie. 50/50 or 20/80 etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, thanks for the advice so far. Since I already have the SX12's and my thinking is that on those days when i'll be out searching for the soft stuff it would be good to have ski's more suited for that. When it hasnt snowed in a while i'll just use the SX12's. So for the off piste days I'd probably then be looking at a 50%+ ratio of time spent off piste, but i'd still definitely need some capability on piste. Not really interested in park capabilities.

In terms of technical features is the width under the boot far and away the most important thing to look at ? My SX12's are 68mm i think and from what you guys say above 90-100 range is where I should be looking.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
These are last year's K2 outlaws, pretty good all rounder at this price.

http://sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=70005240

Other names to throw into the pot for 50/50 use: Stoeckli Stormrider XXL or VXL, Voelkl Mantra, Movement Thunder, Dynastar Mythic Rider ...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy