Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez - beginners paradise

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ADH has a great area for learning on. There are loads of nursery slopes and green runs right on the edge of town, normally you have to travel to find these green runs and sometimes I have been to places that show greens on the piste map and when you get there they are the winding paths that interconnect two runs or those annoying runs that have a long flat bit that you need to shume fast down the hill to so you don't have to pole it on the flat.

when you're ready to explore there is a good area on the other side of the valley if you go on the scary chair which has lots of greens and blues with several chairs serving them.

If you are worn out and your kids want to do more - you can wait in one of bar restaurants while your kids circuit the signal hill or green runs a few times and you can keep an eye on them.

ADH ain't just for beginners, I'm just saying there are loads of greens in the confines of the town edge - soon as you explore away from there - you will find the blues, reds and blacks...

happy sliding
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed, ADH is probably the best beginner's resort I've visited. It's also got some of the best advanced and off-piste terrain. What it lacks (in my opinion) is the quantity/quality of cruisy red/blue motorway-style skiing that one gets in resorts such as La Plagne and the three valleys.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
these 2 posts sum it up very well IMO (although they have overlooked the excellent dining options on the mountain Cool )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having got back from a week in AdH yesterday Sad I can only agree with these posts. It was my first week away skiing, after a few lessons indoor in MK, what a difference it is skiing for real outdoors - I was quite nervous to start with.

I skipped beginner and went into ESF lessons meant for those with at least one weeks experience. The first morning was a bit of a let down whilst they worked out who was going to be in what groups (as you can imagine for New Year it was extremely busy). But apart from the first morning I really cannot fault the lessons.

On the first afternoon I tried out some of the greens all on the edge of town and I have to say whilst I managed to get down ok, I didn't have much control - conditions were very hard underneath. After my second day of lessons things were totally different, and I had managed to get down all greens around town with a decent degree of control, helped by some new snow!

My OH on the other hand has quite a lot of experience, so spent the mornings exploring all the greens, blues and reds around town, Signal, Signal d'Homme (across the scary chair down to Auris), and going onto Oz and Vaujany - which she loved. She decided against doing the black runs as she said she prefers it to be a bit quieter when skiing some of the narrower sections. She then spent the afternoons with me trying to coax me onto some blues!! I managed the Fontbelle fine (loved the bumps!), and also going across and down to Auris did the Col fine, but I really struggled on a steep section of the Corniche - so decided against attempting any more blues!

Everyone in my group for lessons had skied at other resorts (some more than one) and said as a beginner/improver it was the best they had been to for number of runs and quality of tuition (although the latter could be that we got a good instructor!). It's a great resort for kids too, as the little one progressed so well during the week and by the end of the week was skiing most greens with us without any problem.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed ADH is great for beginners, but care should be taken about the time of year you visit because all those nice beginners' greens are south facing and can get icy/slushy if it's warm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agreed ADH is great for beginners, but care should be taken about the time of year you visit because all those nice beginners' greens are south facing and can get icy/slushy if it's warm. Sideshow_Bob, those long cruisy motorways are only a product of the joined up areas giving greater distance. It's quite a new phenomenom, and you pay through the nose for it!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammerite
give us a clue on food and drink prices in adh are there any happy hour bars at the moment cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, how new is new? Flaine and La Plagne certainly had some good motorway skiing when I first went a good 20 years ago NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bradleyjoes, I'll be honest I didn't really do any drinking out in the resort, we were half board in a hotel with a 7 yo (who was generally too knackered after a day skiing to be bothered about wandering round town!) so if I had a drink it tended to be in the hotel bar - there it was €4.60 a pint.

We also rarely had a full lunch out and made sandwiches at breakfast so we could make the most of the skiing rather than queueing for food. We did have a lovely fondue lunch between the OH and me which with a coke and vin chaud was about €35 (Au Ble Noir in town).

Over in Auris we had burger, chips and a coke (we meant to have a crepe, but the burger and chips looked so good Embarassed ) one lunch which was €9 each. Nearer the main slopes at Lac Blanc there was a self service cafe where I think a coke was €3.50 and I remember seeing that a beer was the same price (although probably a small beer).

Hope this helps, and have a good time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy