Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - cheapo accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know what the cheapest possible type of accommodation in Tignes (or the surrounding area) is likely to be?

Need to be there for a week of training in Feb and I don't give a damn about comfort so a broom cupboard will do... oh hang on that's a description of the accommodation the French market for 4/5 people and charge an arm and a leg for ... sorry a matchbox would do Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing cheap in Tignes in Feb, half term hols plus its not the cheapest anytime.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, any crap accommodation that'd be cheaper than the better stuff? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga, just paid £490 for a rabbit hutch for 4 people in Tignes first week in Feb. It looks pretty basic (and small) but as we will only use it for sleeping, showering and a cuppa in the morning then we are not too bothered by other luxuries. This seemed to be the cheapest I could find divided by 4 it's not too bad for a weeks accommodation as far as I'm concerned.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ in which case a small hamster or gerbil cage will do! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
roga,

Here is cheap accommodation in Tignes Breviere (below the dam):-

http://www.chaletchardons.com/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed at the Borsat in Val Claret two years ago, it was so small, cracked window in the door to the balcony and the building was in a generaly poor state, however it was very central and ski to door wink . We paid about £450 each. that was 3 people using bunk beds and a sofa bed.

I fly out this Sat (3rd Jan) this time to Le Lac for a wek at the Tenchu (sp) a catered chalet for up to 28. I think I paid £480 and that was booking about 3 weeks ago.

Cant wait, some fresh snow is forcast for the start of the new year so fingers crossed for even better conditions then they are now. Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went on a Uni trip to Tignes many years ago and stayed in a building called 'Home Club' in Lavachet. It was as basic as basic can get. A studio apartment for 4 people with two sleeping on bunk beds in the doorway and the other two sleeping on the sofas. One loo, one shower, a sink and 2 cooking rings. Pretty horrible and certainly not something I'd consider now but at the time it was very cheap...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Melezes is generally well priced, although not been apart from in Autumn for glacier deal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It was as basic as basic can get. A studio apartment for 4 people with two sleeping on bunk beds in the doorway and the other two sleeping on the sofas. One loo, one shower, a sink and 2 cooking rings. Pretty horrible and certainly not something I'd consider now

Pretty standard for the French Alps I'd say - and in fact a spot on description of my very own place at Tignes Val Claret! Would have loved an 8 bedroom chalet but sadly the old budget meant it was "basic as basic can get" or nothing. Certainly no regrets after spending 40+ nights there over the past 12 months - spring, summer, autumn, winter - skiing all year, mountain biking, hiking, wondrous scenery....It's amazing what fare you can knock up using 2 rings and a microwave - and I've also found that I can only use one shower and toilet at a time Toofy Grin .

I just love my alpine shoebox Very Happy !! And here it is!! http://www.tignes.co.uk/Chalet_Club.htm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
I just love my alpine shoebox Very Happy !! And here it is!! http://www.tignes.co.uk/Chalet_Club.htm

Cool. But WHY is it booked up for half term week? Surely a family of 4 won't book it... can you imagine...???!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, fair enough and I was quite OK with that sort of thing whilst I was a student. Let's face it student digs are often no better. But now I'm an old gal and used to the comfort and space of a 3-bedroomed house all to myself, I couldn't face that for a holiday. These days I want my own en-suite room and someone else to do the cooking and cleaning for me. I guess this is why I pay handsomely for the privilege... Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, Stopped in there many years ago, 3 of us in a 4 bed, to be honest I was out that much I hardly remember it. It was fine for the purpose, but I wouldn't rush back with wife and kids now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TBH, much though I like Espace Killy and other French ski areas if you want decently priced comfortable accommodation (en-suite etc.) I'd suggest anywhere but France, or at least anywhere but a well known French resort. Small resorts and satellite villages linked to main resorts tend to be cheaper but there are good options abroad too - Austria is for example far better for decent prices (and friendlier locals) in my experience.

However, this ain't a holiday (have just had that in Austria funnily enough) it's a week of training and ski school shadowing to be followed up by more of the same over the season, I therefore need basic accommodation for just myself and don't give a monkeys about the facilities as long as I can cook the food I'll have taken with me from the UK ('coz local prices are now waaaaay too expensive) and get to the loo reasonably quickly after I've managed to give myself food poising with said cooking Wink

For any other trips I take over the season, maybe a speculative weekend or whatever, it'll be some nice, and now, in comparison, very cheaply priced, Highland bunkhouses, B&Bs or even hotels which will now be cheaper than a gerbil hutch in France, far friendlier and I'll be able to indulge my curry and real ale habit for apres ski Toofy Grin

Thanks for al the comments guys and keep 'em coming but the prize for the most on-topic and useful post so far has to go to welshflyer - thanks for that link, much appreciated. Second prize to plectrum for reminding me that Melezes is cheap, although I'm not sure with the single person supplements it'll work out bas cost effective as self-catering but I'll look into that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy