Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA/CA - N. ID / E Washington / N.W. Montana / Red Mtn

Poster: A snowHead
Wind and warmer temps create base in most of piste areas today. While some of the areas set up with solid ruts, wind blown areas quite good, more grooming by Mother N. tonight with major storms set up for the weekend. By News Year areas should be quite good.

BC/ Offpiste still "thin" and dangerous at least in N. ID.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-01-12 15:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what the heck is a N. ID / E.WA / N.W. MT ???
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, I'm guessing North Idaho, something else (East Wichita - is there skiign there?) and North West Montana?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EAST WASHINGTON ??????????
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's just my corner of the world with several ski areas nearby.

Eastern Washington with 49 Degrees North which can be quite good and Mt Spokane.

Northern Idaho Schweitzer semi famous tree skiing, Silver Mountain home MTN, and Lookout gets the most snow.

Western Montana Lookout sits on the border, Snowbowl gotta love bumps, Turner great Powder fridays and Whitefish.

South Eastern British Columbia Red Mtn love this place, Whitewater great backcountry, Kimberley Intermediates dream and Fernie home of the Griz.

All an easy drive from home, and now finally all are open and skiable even have an international airport in Spokane WA.

More snow predicted through the weekend and then finally the holidays are over and the crowds will go.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
what the heck is a N. ID / E.WA / N.W. MT ???

and people make fun of lack of geographical knowledge of Americans Wink

Planning to be up at Schweitzer on Sunday, as forecast looks interesting. And I hoping I won't be seeing any more rocks until April!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gortonator, I only got one wrong wink (and its less about geography and more about knowing the standard abbreviations)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx,

Fulwell and Castletown are expecting 20 inches. However, with the wind the way it is Silksworth will get dumped on expecting 36 inches !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smokin Joe, Laughing (I'm from Fulwell...)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
gortonator, I only got one wrong wink (and its less about geography and more about knowing the standard abbreviations)

I'm impressed - honest Madeye-Smiley

happy new year everyone!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
can you do a S. ID / W.WA / S.E. MT report as well please... would hate to leave anyone out snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
can you do a S. ID / W.WA / S.E. MT report as well please... would hate to leave anyone out snowHead

W.WA is simple - dumping like crazy in all Cascade hills. Seem to have entered typical winter weather period where snowfall is measured in feet, not inches.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winds had Schweitzer down New Years Eve, Silver was great with a little more fresh and Mother Nature kept the winds grooming the hill to a fine buff. Another 30-60 cm today with more on Friday.

skimottaret, Just the areas I can get to in under 15 min to 4 hours and all have the same weather track. However I took a peak at all the Montana areas and Lost Trail and Big Sky with the most snow. N ID has more than S. ID.

Avy danger still crazy spoke with patrol and at both Silver and Schweitzer they have some double blacks they aren't opening yet, both Mtns have had some large slides.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wonderful day Friday, deep fresh Pow across the area most got 12", cold today with another large storm set to hit Sunday/Monday. Very Happy

Quick update 49 N has 82-95", Schweitzer 60-73", Silver 55-70", Lookout 72-91", Whitefish 38-64", Turner 38-64".
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pinhead what is the snowpack like out your way?
snow conditions
We got a wet storm early which created an ice lens at almost ground level then 17* snow then more warmer weather making for a really scary snow pack with many predictions that it is going to remain that way for the season. Silver opened North Face Glades some sloughing but really nice Powder. Only two runs still closed at Silver which should change with the next storm.

www.fs.fed.us/ipnf/visit/conditions/backcountry/index.html

Covers the avy conditions from British Columbia border to E. WA border to W. MT border and down south to St Maries ID
ski holidays
Well say goodbye to the Powder, warmer weather on the way with snow line up in the range of ski areas. 49* N, Schweitzer, and Red Mtn may squeak by,they get cold air from the Selkirks, but Silver, Mt Spokane and Lookout in line for some nasty conditions warmer and wet through Thur, then drying out and leaving a frozen sheet behind. Sad

Had planned on a Turner Powder Friday now I'll have to wait and see watch Schweitzer, Fernie, and Whitefish for snow totals the next 3 days.
snow report
Northwest Montana has been getting hammered the past week. The town of Kalispell has been virtually shut down a couple times due to large dumps. After a slow start the ski areas have caught up on their snowpack and are starting to get ahead. Lookout Pass, a small ski area on the Idaho/Montana border has a great base of 71" at the bottom and 92" at the top. It continues to get pounded. Whitefish, Discovery, Snowbowl and Blacktail are all reporting bases of 3 to 4 feet at the bottom and 5 to 6 feet at the summit.
ski holidays
Rain at Silver and Lookout 5" fresh and snow rain mix today, Turner, and base of Schweitzer rain, Whitefish ? may head there for Thursday depends on if they get rain too today, anyone skiing there today. Fernie reporting rain at base.

Flooding is the game in N. ID and Spokane.
ski holidays
thinking of heading up this way at weekend - Sunday at Schweitzer was very sweet indeed with lots of freshies and no people, so anything half decent will suffice this weekend. It's pretty wet in the Cascades, and incredibly windy here in the desert.
ski holidays
East Washington pretty wet now. All the E-W passes are shut due to severe avalanche danger or mudslides. Big change from a week ago when it dumped like crazy and I only just made it over Snoqualmie. Funny thing was I felt more confident 'cos I had a 4x4. Only discovered the next day when we set out from Wenatchee I had it in 2-wheel drive mode !
snow report
Whitewater still getting snow 16"/40cm this am. Silver shut down due to weather.
snow conditions
forecast for Silver at weekend looks reasonable to we're heading up there. hopefully some freshies and not too much damage off-trail to cover up. You going to be there, pinhead?
snow report
I've taken the last two days off due to rain so barring a day of work on Sat I'll be skiing daily and considering conditions I may still run up to WH2O next week. I'll let you know what kind of skating rink the Mtn turned into today.
snow report
pinhead wrote:
I've taken the last two days off due to rain so barring a day of work on Sat I'll be skiing daily and considering conditions I may still run up to WH2O next week. I'll let you know what kind of skating rink the Mtn turned into today.

forecast shows decent snow over weekend so we'll be up at Silver Friday/Sat. Hopefully conditions will be improving by the minute Smile.

have fun today!
snow report
Well if you were there today then you know it was much better than expected great morning of fresh not quite powder but quite nice just don't catch the variable lens below varying 2-6" down. Toofy Grin
snow report
pinhead wrote:
Well if you were there today then you know it was much better than expected great morning of fresh not quite powder but quite nice just don't catch the variable lens below varying 2-6" down. Toofy Grin

i meant Sat/Sun - must've been drunk when posting. Looking forward to Saturday morning even more now Smile
ski holidays
Heard inbounds wasn't as good as Friday but BC was still decent, but conditions still show a scary OB snowpack.
Another english foot tonight should make a great Sunday of fresh snow.

Forecasters lie supposed 4-7" in valleys turns into 2" on Mtn. and trace in valleys Sun AM.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it's going to be a sorry period until the next snow, temps warm, skies sunny and no snow in the forecast.
snow conditions
Guess I was lucky then between 26 Dec and Jan 3 then !! Almost perfect weather (although avy risk way too high to venture anywhere remote)
ski holidays
Lucky I left on the 10th then Smile BW had superb powder over Christmas and New Year. Weather was turning too warm just as we were leaving.
ski holidays
Well Silver Mtn. is giving up being a resort and is going back to being a ski hill/area. Due to missmanagement and other circumstances Silver will be closing Tuesday and Wednesdays matching the closing days of the next closest ski area Lookout. So we will have two ski resorts with potential to compete for possible Powder Thursdays and the tiny crowds that support both areas. So guess more riders will be booking Schweitzer.

Good to hear others did enjoy the quality skiing now it's just nice to get out of the inversion and into the sun.
snow report
Whitefish sitting just at the inversion line about 200' above base 20* at base 35* summit, Silver and Schweitzer above with very warm temps hitting the 50's. Very nice spring skiing for Jan.
snow conditions
Powder day at Lookout 11" reported, Schweitzer 2" only two ski areas open on Wed of the 5, poss Powder Thur at Silver, 49N just a trace.

WH2O got 17 unsure if that was inches or cm. Whitefish 6". Yeah it was a long 3 weeks without fresh snow.

Lookout skied great and they really did have 11" of fresh snow to play with. Silver reopens today (28th) and they managed 5" from the storm which left 11" at Lookout should be okay not great but okay.

17" at Lost Trail this Thur morn.
snow report
Back to high pressure and frozen groomers was really nice to have fresh snow. Collegiate races today at Silver with party tonight.
latest report
Monday was 3" fresh across the ski areas with wind to redistribute it so some slopes were great and others not so wonderful.

Tuesday morn new snow at WH2O 10cm/4" no storms for the 5 US resorts till Sat.
ski holidays
Friday 3" fresh at Schweitzer, 2" at Lookout, Silver, 49N, Whitefish and WH2O, rained all night in the valleys. Wet snow predicted for the day above 3000'.
More snow predicted for the week starting on Mon - Thursday. Finally an end to sunny spring skiing.

Snowed all day at Silver 6" piled up so should be a great Sat.
snow report
Well we got a bit more snow, open ski areas all report 3" of fresh, then drying out again till next Monday. Crying or Very sad

Overall totals Lookout 58"/84", Schweitzer 52"/75", Silver 38"/74", 49N 55"/85".

Wed was a nice day at Lookout continued snowing all day, Thur is opening for Silver with 6" over their two day closure.
snow conditions
Snow expected overnite 1-4".

Tragic accident at Silver Sat. not all the details are out yet but short story, man in mid thirties hit a tree just below a main run after straightlining a groomed run, no response to patrol, CPR preformed multiple times, Air Med unavailable, and the individual did not make it. Best Wishes to the family.

4" at 49N and Schweitzer 1" for Silver and Lookout. Sun for the afternoon expected.
snow report
After another dry week and a very sunny weekend wet weather returns this week with showers and mtn snow predicted all week.

Unfortunately both Silver and Lookout are at or above freezing at base and 30* on top as of 5:30 AM.

49N 4" and 30* Schweitzer reporting 2-5" temps 32/30 usually these two areas stay colder expect more snow at both this week.

Tue morn and 49N and Schweitzer reporting trace to 1" winds in the 20's with gusts to 30 +mph more snow expected over the day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy