Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Last Resort

Poster: A snowHead
-4, -6, -10 ? Positively balmy, like to see someone try it here Wink There is some interesting information at http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/knw/kt/auto-eng.aspx for those that could find themselves stranded overnight. Might be some useful tips for warrell on the site.

Edit to add another possibly useful link http://www.cbc.ca/stevenandchris/2008/11/your_emergency_car_kit.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The inside of the car will get utterly frigid at night, more so than a tent strangely enough.

I strongly suspect it's due to the trapped humidity in the car. (tents usually to vent well)

On the tyre issue, my suggestion is invest in a pair of chains instead. It's a lot cheaper than winter tyres and actually work better when things goes REAL bad. Also keep these in mind:

1) Pay attention to weather forecast and learn what that would do to roads so you can plan accordingly.

2) Pay attention where you park so you don't get marooned by a couple cm of slick snow/sleet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks solarfish, some good tips there. I can't find a source for that emergency starter although they were quite common a few years back when I last contemplated doing this.

abc, we are having a series of -8 Celsius nights (no precipitation thankfully) here on the South Coast of England. It brings home the reality of what I am getting into.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
On the tyre issue, my suggestion is invest in a pair of chains instead. It's a lot cheaper than winter tyres and actually work better when things goes REAL bad.

This is true but the problem is that it doesn't help in the more common circumstances where there is just a little snow or ice around, not enough for chains. However, if you can do without the car in these conditions (and don't get caught out unexpectedly), you might just get away with it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ideally, winter tyres with chains in the boot.

But in practice, experience goes a long way. That's why I mentioned the 2 things to "keep in mind". If you pay attention to where exactly your wheels are on (or about to be on), you can drive very safely in winter roads.

I can drive a front wheel drive safely on roads and in and out of snow covered parking when 4x4's are in the ditch.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vectra is pretty short for sleeping in if you're even average height ( 5'10" ).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TJon, I've removed the rear seat section and with the passenger seat flat and an MDF 2 metere by 30 cms its a very comfy platform. I've tried it out and is nearly as comfie as sleeping in a camper van.

My thinking is that I should invest in an electric blanket (12v or even 240 volt) and one of these babies http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_180794_langId_-1_categoryId_165719 so that I have an emergency starter system for the engine and something to warm my 'nest' without endangering myself rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dear All, I bought the power-pack, 12 volt electric kettle, p*ss funnel and mini hot-water bottle today Embarassed.

Finally booked my crossing for Sunday night so here I go - yikes. I feel elated that I have stopped vacillating and committed to the venture.

It's hardly Long Way Round/Down/By Any Means (smug I am not, I hope) but it is my adventure so here goes!

Thanks for the interest and advice. I will keep posting to this thread; - it's probably the most widely read of my contributions to the great blogosphere.

Any offers of a warm garage or car-port most welcome Blush
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
warrell wrote:
I bought... p*ss funnel and mini hot-water bottle today Embarassed
better to use actual hot water for the water bottle don't ya think?

Anyhow, very best of luck. Think you'll be seeing some very snowy driving conditions but hopefully things will warm up a tad for you. Looking forward to reading all about it in the papers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, just testing the kettle/power-pack/hot water bottle combo now. Even I hadn't thought of p*ssing in the hottie Laughing

I was banking on a week of high-pressure. Hope it don't make the rags Skullie
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good luck warrell.

You should also post this on TGR - you'll get a lot of respect for this trip, even as a JONG!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think you're barking mad, even if I am dead jealous Smile

But the very best of luck, and have a wondeful time. Keep us informed as to how you're getting on and where you are.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just spotted this thread, good on you for setting out on this adventure, hope it all goes well and you find some hidden gems.

One question though, why go in the middle of Jan which is probably the coldest month ? Why not later in the season when it's typically less chilling ? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon, perhaps this is my second childhood/dementia coming round early. However, Jack-Off-Newbie-Gaper is a bit strong... I'm hoping that my 20 years of skiing in many, many resorts the world over combined with my experience of about 10 return drives to French resorts must mean that I'm not totally off-base Evil or Very Mad

I promised myself an adventure for my 50th and this is it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
warrell, cool. Happy Birthday ! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
masmith, I have time on my hands - waiting for a contract to come along in March - avoid the crowds - will be 50 next month - it's not ideal but I could end up doing the rest of the season Very Happy
snow report
warrell, Legend, i hope all goes well - I was expecting you to sat mid twenties, not 50!. Much Respect. Cool
snow report
warrell, Good luck, have a ball, I'm so jealous Mr. Green
Keep us posted
snow conditions
warrell, apologies, I didn't mean it that way. I'm honestly impressed (and envious). Jong can be almost a term of endearment (for some of the newcomers to that forum). Good luck.
snow report
No probs horizon. I wasn't familiar with that term except where Erica was involved. I dunno, you young 'uns with your hip slang Laughing
snow conditions
warrell, best of luck! You're doing what so many of us want to do (except perhaps the sleeping in the car bit Wink ) - hope it all works out snowHead

Looking forward to regular trip reports Very Happy
snow report
Best
snow report
Jo225, Kramer, thanks for the goodwill. 48 hours and counting.

I really need to step up a gear with my prep or risk failure. I visited the reference section at the local library - there's a first - and photocopied the relevant sections of the German,Austrian,Italian and Swiss maps. Black and white but there are few choices when it comes to driving through the Alps in Winter. Rain or shine snowHead
latest report
Temperatures are pretty low in Germany but drivings conditions should be good so here I go.

I'm as nervous as a kid on their first date. I hope I'll settle down once I get on the road. I'm a bit sleep deprived and the next few days aren't going to help.

It's good to be back in touch with the raw emotions and feelings that our ancestors must have had before going off on explorations or even into battle. I took a picture of the vehicle but I had trouble getting it off the difficult to use Samsung Omnia so you will just have to imagine a bog standard Vectra-C. I will be using my N95 to pick up email and update everyone so look forward to some photos at least.

Wish me luck!
snow conditions
warrell, Goodbye, good luck. Can't wait to hear all about it. snowHead Will be watching this thread with great interest so keep in touch.
snow report
last night was -9 and i got about six hours kip! Finding a roof for over the car was a stroke of luck; it was on a big service station just between frankfurt and warzburg. Got some snow chains and had a breakfast with udo who i got chatting to in a department store. It was my second of the day while waiting for the chains to be sourced. Beautiful weather - no good for the powder hound in me so tomorrow i will enjoy a rest and soak up the rays and the delights of kitz. If i can cut a deal with the owner of my accom i will describe it in more detail rolling eyes
snow report
warrell, good to hear from you. If you managed six hours it couldn't have been that bad, hopefuly it'll warm up soon ....not too warm though snowHead
snow report
warrell, please, keep the reports flowing, this is the best thread ever on here ....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad things worked out for the trip preparations! Will be watching this thread with interest - all the best to you warrell. If you find yourself in or around the Grand Massif (or even Portes du Soleil) anytime during the first ten days of February then let me know - I'll be down in our chalet in Verchaix (just opposite Morillon) and if you need a room for a night or two then it's yours.
ski holidays
Glad to hear all is going well, warrell. There might be some new snow in the next days too Smile
snow conditions
thanks for your support everyone; you are very kind and i am grateful for your encouragement. if i can keep going i will take up your offermfj197, Laughing just got back from peters karaoke in the pub near the tiefenbrunner. I gave my well practised 'mack the knife', essayed 'in the avenues and alleyways' and them murdered 'hello dolly'. I was pleased to have a crack at 'alleyways' as it is immortalised in the film 'love, honour and obey' and it came on the radio as i approached the austrian alps today Blush
latest report
feels a bit warmer today. Apparently,if you buy your lift pass for the next day you can use it from 3 the day you buy it. If i stay tonight i will do thit or maybe just approach those who are leaving early and refund their deposit Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 15-01-09 10:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Motorway cruise at 60mph, not 80. Save yourself a bundle of petrol, and you won't get there THAT much more slowly.
latest report
James the Last, quite right - except on the autobhan even the twin trailer behemoths overtake you and that can be quite scary. Petrol is much cheaper in austria than germany but there is a motorwaw toll. I dont know if these facts are related. Dave at http://www.snowbunnys.co.uk has been most accomodating and i could not want for a better place to stay. I even picked up some work to cover my expenses Little Angel

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-01-09 10:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Good luck Wozza. Glad to hear you finally did it. It's working out well already. Don't die as you owe me money and if your missus gets lonely I'm always on hand to "comfort" her.
latest report
mostlybythesea, thanks maurice. Its good to know you have my wellbeing in mind. I still have not heard from your colleague whether or not they want me for a sunbeam. I suppose in these recessionary times 10 weeks is no time at all Smile Cool
snow conditions
http://m.flickr.com/photostream.gne?id=25852707
latest report
i have put a link to my photostream above. There is no room at the inn tonight so after i have serviced my clients i will be off to the hostel in zell am zee. snowHead
snow report
Got your phone working ?
snow conditions
mostlybythesea, yes I have you monkey - beware the Missus is most upset Smile

Enough of domestics, there is much to recount here! I finished my ski instructing in Kitz and drove to Zell-am-see. Oh my word. What a sublime place. I checked into the junderheberge (youth hostel to you) and have a room to myself overlooking the lake. This is only rivalled by the 5 star hotel next door. But most amazing of all, I was hanging around before dinner and a guy complimented me on my LondonSkate T shirt. We got chatting and it turned out to be the chap who has a thread on here quite similar to mine! User londoner2000 'Best resort for 3 months' check it out. (I'm using his laptop so this will appear from him - haha). I had been reading his thread and it had formed a part of my planning. So, suddenly the whole enterprise has been transformed. Ahh, the gravity of information....

I have revised my plans and think I will return to Kitzbuhel on Tuesday or Wednesday and hunker down for the three day party that is the Hannenkan. I was in the press centre today and was reminded of when I helped cover the 1999 Premire Neige in Val d'Isere. I was present at an interview with Peekaboo Street and went to the after party where I met Luke Alphand. We even went out clubbing with him afterwards - Halcyon days.

Anyhow, could anyone reading this give me an idea about how I get accreditation. Having that would make it easier to do an inside blog of the Hannenkan on this site - and/or any other that might be interested. I think londoner2000 is keen to come along for the craic so we will need as much help as we can get.

It just gets better.....

Tchuss
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy