Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I wish I was a cartoonist...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... got an email from a certain well-known skiing journalist (who, by the way, definitely owns the copyright to the italics bit) this evening. It said:

A strange thing happened in the Milton Keynes snowdome today. Both my old orange Tecnica TNT boots disintegrated. I'm not exaggerating - I stepped into the bindings and the heel of the right boot snapped off. Initially I thought the binding was defective, because my heel came up, but then realised the back of the heel had snapped off the boot.

Obviously I had to go into the hire dept and take out a pair of their wellies. At this point, taking off both boots, whole chunks of them shattered and fell in pieces on the floor. The boots virtually snapped in half, with the inners gaping out. The plastic had become utterly brittle. The strange thing is that I'd put on both boots without incident on peeling them open. I think the lower temp in the snowdome suddenly triggered the breakdown.

Absolutely astonishing. In 89 years of skiing, this has never happened to me, and I've never seen anyone else's boots disintegrate to that extent.

Anyway, in the end, I got to teach a beginner friend for a couple of hours on the slope, just like the old days on Cairngorm but without the scenery.

If anyone can guess the identity of this person or, better, has CCTV footage of events, there is a massive prize on offer. Yes, a fabulous new soon-to-be-published book about the 1836 Lewes avalanche. (Note: prize available from 01.01.2014, WHSmith Inverness. Must be collected in person accompanied by four living grandparents. Judges decision final. No correspondence will be entered into. Please read the Ts&Cs again.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Delighted to hear that he's back on the snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair, you only have to mention the name and you could be the winner!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, Approx how old would the boots have been - do you know what model years Tecnica TNT boots were made? - are they rear entry? Shocked
I thought you must be referring to our esteemed Snowhead DG, but your claim of 89 years of skiing would suggest he must be aged at least 95! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know the name but 89years of skiing?!?!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, well, firstly, the bit in italics isn't me... RTFM.

TNTs I reckon first surfaced around '95 (happy to be put right there) and I suspect that the mystery person got them around then... definitely front loaders.

I think you'll find that his refererence to "89 years" may be a joke.

Your stab at DG might be on the money if only you could complete the name.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, you might like to point David Goldsmith in the direction of this set of reviews, which would suggest it's a known problem with those boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anotherproblem, he's never been good at maths.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair wrote:
Bode Swiller, you might like to point David Goldsmith in the direction of this set of reviews, which would suggest it's a known problem with those boots.
Ahhh, is that your competition entry?

I'll certainly point him... he'll be shattered
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now that the phone vote has been counted (please stop calling, your vote won't count and you may still be charged), I have pleasure in announcing that Alastair is our lucky winner tonight. Look forward to meeting you and your relatives at the prize pick-up party. Yes indeed, David Goldsmith today took on the mighty slopes of Milton Keynes... and lost.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
During his talk on boot fitting at the NEC ski show this year, I seem to recall CEM commenting that the pigment used in the plastic shell material could affect the mechanical properties - this seems to be a prime example! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Look forward to meeting you and your relatives at the prize pick-up party.

I don't have any living grandparents, but the Ts&Cs don't say they have to be my grandparents so I suppose I'll just ask around the shop.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair, I hope you're not questioning the Ts&Cs. I expect that Inverness has a branch of Rent-a-granny.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh bollux Evil or Very Mad I love my old Alu Icons . . . Stiffer than a young lad with a Girls Aloud dvd and comfier than a bucket of warm porridge Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair wrote:
Delighted to hear that he's back on the snow.
This would indeed be fantastic news.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy