Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, first post on SH!

I'm booked with a group of 14 to L2A for a week on the 21st Feb. We're staying in Chalet le Christinia close to the Diablo gondola. It's not my first holiday but I'm organising the trip and the group is a mixture of skiers and snowboarders of varying skill level with some beginners. Also I'm not entirely lazy as I have trawled older posts using the search but havent found answers to some questions I have.

1. Chalet le Christinia
- Anybody know it or stayed there before? Opinions?
- What is this location like? Are we far away from the centre of activity? other good points/bad points?
- Is the Diablo the main lift or will we be trekking back to the chalet every mornind/evening from another main area?
- Are there any good apres bars/shops/nightclubs close by the chalet or should we expect to have to hike in the evenings for some fun?

2. Where to get ski pass / rentals / lessons
We have not yet confirmed how and where members of our group are going to get their gear&passes etc.
The travel agency are offering the following.

Ski pass - 172
skis & boots (normal not superior) - 99
sb & boots (normal not superior) - 122
Ski School - 150
Learn to Ski(pass, rental and lessons for beginners) - 335
Learn to Snowboard(pass, rental and lessons for beginners) - 380

- Are the prices above competitive or should we shop around? Buy online?
- Instead of the beginner packages, are there any cheaper options we should consider for beginner who may only want 3 days lessons and dont need a full ski pass on the first few days?

3. Serre Chevalier / LAD
I understand that the ski pass gives 1 day access to these areas. How do you get there, are there any free shuttle buses etc?

4. Any other recommendations or things we shouldnt miss out on for our trip to L2A.

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Moesymoe
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moesymoe, Welcome to snowHead Some locals will be along to help I'm sure but I'll try. The Diable lift is I think the gondola known commonly as the red eggs. It takes you up to around 2400m from where you can ski some of the easier pistes or get to further lifts to take you further up. Returning on skis/boards probably means coming down a fairly steep run or taking the gondola down.

Ski pass price is normally 182 euros for 6 days so that seems a good deal if it is a full area pass. I don't know whether the rental and ski school deals are good or not, check ESF, Skiset, etc. Some of the beginner slopes are free so as you suggest absolute beginners may be better buying a pass there for the days they need one. For top notch ski lessons contact easiski who posts on here.

I don't know too much about the nightlife but I think much of it is that end of town, the Red Frog is one English Bar there I know of.

I've never been to Serre Chevalier but a full 6 day pass covers a couple of days in Alpe D'Huez too. Another good resort but there is plenty to do in Les Deux Alpes without getting bored.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll be very near all the nightlife at that end of town. Red eggs can get you up on to the slopes quickly but you have to ski a flattish sort of run down to the main ski areas but i've never found this a problem on skis but not all boarders would like it. Doesn't take too long and its better to ski/ride it than walk through village. To get back to where you started you'd have to come down a black run which isn't too bad if conditions are ok or just catch the eggs back down which is easy enough at most times of the day. Overall it'll be a good location for a big group.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moesymoe wrote:
Hi folks, first post on SH!

I'm booked with a group of 14 to L2A for a week on the 21st Feb. We're staying in Chalet le Christinia close to the Diablo gondola. It's not my first holiday but I'm organising the trip and the group is a mixture of skiers and snowboarders of varying skill level with some beginners. Also I'm not entirely lazy as I have trawled older posts using the search but havent found answers to some questions I have.

1. Chalet le Christinia
- Anybody know it or stayed there before? Opinions?
- What is this location like? Are we far away from the centre of activity? other good points/bad points?
- Is the Diablo the main lift or will we be trekking back to the chalet every mornind/evening from another main area?
- Are there any good apres bars/shops/nightclubs close by the chalet or should we expect to have to hike in the evenings for some fun?

2. Where to get ski pass / rentals / lessons
We have not yet confirmed how and where members of our group are going to get their gear&passes etc.
The travel agency are offering the following.

Ski pass - 172
skis & boots (normal not superior) - 99
sb & boots (normal not superior) - 122
Ski School - 150
Learn to Ski(pass, rental and lessons for beginners) - 335
Learn to Snowboard(pass, rental and lessons for beginners) - 380

- Are the prices above competitive or should we shop around? Buy online?
- Instead of the beginner packages, are there any cheaper options we should consider for beginner who may only want 3 days lessons and dont need a full ski pass on the first few days?

3. Serre Chevalier / LAD
I understand that the ski pass gives 1 day access to these areas. How do you get there, are there any free shuttle buses etc?

4. Any other recommendations or things we shouldnt miss out on for our trip to L2A.

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Moesymoe

The main gondola is in the middle of town and this is maybe the central ski pass office too, about 10 minutes walk from you, but the 'red egg' 4 man lift takes you to the first station up the mountain to access all areas, so it is quite convenient where you are.

Pubs such as the Polar Bear, Secret bar etc are a few minutes walk from you, near the main Gondola is a basement bar called Smokeys (smokeyjoes?) which is a Brit type tex-mex place, and I quite like the Lutins bar in Les Lutin hotel, again across the road from the main gondola.

No idea about ski hire etc but there are loads of places everywhere

look in the 'snowboarding' and 'snow reports' threads for people who are living out there who provide live updates and info if you ask nicely Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is also a lift pass sales point in the tourist office at the Place de Venosc, so no need to join the scrum at the caisse centrale.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moesymoe, I live and work in LDA. You can get ski rental for a better price and better equipment that you've been quoted. The all-in deal always sounds good but it will be with the ESF so your friends won't have much of a lesson. Beginners don't need lift passes for at least the first 2 days, and probably not for the third either, so that saves a lot of money. Send me a PM or drop me a line via my website and we'll see what we can do for you. Very Happy BTW it's really best for beginners to have lessons every day for the first week - regardless of how well they learn they'll never cram in enough in 3 days to be safe on the mountain. Every pro ski teacher will tell you the same.

the Red Frog is probably your nearest bar. Not to miss for any good skiers will be La Grave. Not to miss for anyone is the view from the top of the glacier. Very Happy Trips to ADH and Serre Che are usually organised by the tour operators, but there are certainly regular buses at least one day a week to ADH - I'm not sure about SC. You can also get to ADH by helicopter which is brilliant fun and not toooooo expensive, but you need to book early in the week as it gets full very quickly. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can vouch for easiski's lessons they are excellent. Easiski can also provide excellent deals with equipment. Dont get taken in by some cheap offers etc as they turn out to be the most pathetic gear in the resort (as some of my group found out last year)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back after a great week in L2A. Low temps, sunshine and blue sky for most of the time. It was snowing as we left at 7am on Sunday! Most runs were open and the resort not too busy. Shame they flattened the bumps down the Grand Couloir! Avoided the busy Valentin run back down at the end of the day by skiing the Diablo at the other end of the resort.

There is a bus to Alp d'H 2 days a week (Wed and Thurs I think) which costs 8 euros (poss 16 return). Lift pass includes a day in Alp d'H
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hunsbury, Or you could have skied any one of about 500 lines down the face between the 2! l'Y is never as busy as the Diable, there's Sapins too, but that's very bumpy. Last week the off piste parts were quite nice. Glad you had a good time. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski,

Was with less experienced friends most of the time hence coming down diablo. Did L'Y and Sapins as well and, as you say, neither were busy. Bottom of Sapins off piste though the trees was interesting late in the day when it started to harden Very Happy

Made La Mezzanine our local for the apres ski beer, very friendly and relaxed after a Leffe or 3 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
use www.snowrental.net for ski hire i found these much cheaper when looking for hire for our trip the week before!

You have to type les 2 alpes rather then deux
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy