Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the toughest piste in the world

Poster: A snowHead
DaveC wrote:
It depends how you define a piste, though the fact you can get a groomer up it pretty much invalidates it from the "hard" definition anyway. I can pick some lines in Fernie that are ridiculous and it's technically inbounds...

maybe that's the definition of a piste - it has to be groomed. Even occasionally .....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd of thought so.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rich, no - it is a piste - same applies to many steeper bits of JH. Alta 0-3. Tower 3 etc etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
where do people put Charles Bozon in Brevent?..if skied straight down (ie not the zig zags but most people do these and do not ski straight down) almost everybody falls over- it is actually very steep...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We need Easy Gully put on the Nevis Range Piste Map, but climbers would get upset, plus the name could be asking for trouble! Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've peered over the edge of Easy Gully a few times but always been too chicken to try it! When I did the sous le telepherique at courchevel it was still a piste, and a far more serious proposition than either grand couloir or tunnel at AdH. Toughest piste I've done recently probably Pallavicini at A-Basin, which on slightly glazed snow last easter was VERY interesting...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, I'll do a 180 on this one, confused by the dashed black, not a convention used in Europe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So I think the main question here is... what exactly is a piste?

If you say a piste is a groomed marked run, then I'd have to go with one of the pistes in Europe such as Harakiki (38 degrees). 99% of NA marked runs this steep are ungroomed.

If you say a piste is a marked run, then there are SO many runs that will/could be listed here. Just to name a few: Palisades @ Squaw, Mott and Killebrew Canyon @ Heavenly, Alta Chutes @ JH, Tower 3 Chute @ JH, Expert Chutes @ JH, Great Scott @ Snowbird, Baldy Chute @ Alta, Tuckerman's Ravine @ Mount Washington, The Fingers @ Squaw, Big Jim's Chute @ Kirkwood, Spanky's Ladder @ Blackcomb, Lake Chutes @ Breckenridge...

...and notice how all these runs I named were in NA. Europe doesn't mark all there hardest stuff-- that's why all the expert skiers are skiing off piste! In NA, they mark all there runs creating a less chance of the need to ski off piste and into more avy-prone terrain.

Conclusion: There is no harder piste!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiking4, I think that sums it up nicely. Although (as posted elsewhere) I was about to ski Tower 3 at JH 2 weeks ago when it did avalanche and killed someone.

How steep is OMG at Wengen?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother wrote:
skiking4, I think that sums it up nicely. Although (as posted elsewhere) I was about to ski Tower 3 at JH 2 weeks ago when it did avalanche and killed someone.

How steep is OMG at Wengen?

Haha, lucky you that you didn't head down there before the avalanche! Shocked

And just if anyone wants to take a look (also located in my sig), I have a site that lists over 60 different trails in the Eastern US. Definitely not some of the hardest runs in the world and not very close, but interesting for a comparison discussion.

http://ski-degrees.synthasite.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The toughest piste I have seen or tackled is the bump run in Val d'Isere - Epaule du Charvet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wonder what the steepest race pistes are - per discipline. I know some downhills are crazy steep but steepest slalom pitch would be interesting.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
I wonder what the steepest race pistes are - per discipline. I know some downhills are crazy steep but steepest slalom pitch would be interesting.

The first thing that rings to mind is the Birds of Prey course at Beaver Creek and the Hahnenkamm Streif Course at Kitzbuhel. Do either have very steep pitches?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiking4, that site is a nice bit of work. Keep it up! (but head west wink )
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
skiking4, that site is a nice bit of work. Keep it up! (but head west wink )

The west will come... eventually... aka awhiles from now lol...
snow report
rich wrote:
stoatsbrother, I'll do a 180 on this one, confused by the dashed black, not a convention used in Europe.

I think you will find it quite common in Europe. A dashed line on the piste map normally means an "itinerary", which is a recognised run that is not groomed (and not always avalanche protected, although usually they are).

The real confusion for me is that in North America, everything marked is a "trail", which may be groomed or ungroomed, while in Europe "grooming" is called "pisteing" and pisted (at least sometimes) runs are generally what are called pistes, with unpisted ones being called itineraries.
latest report
Skier's right under the lift on Mont Fort, Verbier anyone?

Although the comment about the home run is spot on. Skiied MF a couple of times yesterday with a friend who is a good intermediate level skier - he did fine on there with just a couple of wobbles at the top, then got completely wiped out by a snowboarder about 100m from the lift station on the blue run home
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The toughest piste I have seen or tackled is the bump run in Val d'Isere - Epaule du Charvet.

In April an avalanche blocked the blue run at the side of it. I found myself at the top of Epaule with my daughter (9) and the lift closed. We had to ski this to get down to the Chalet. It was Holly's first black run! But she made it with care. Slushy conditions made it worse. But I still think the Grand Coulier in Corcheval is more committing if you fall.
snow conditions
skiking4 wrote:
the Hahnenkamm Streif Course at Kitzbuhel.

Here's a picture of the Steilhang on the Streif. It's quite steep enough for me - but probably easier, if you schuss it like the racers Laughing

The steeper sections on the Streif are quite short: Mausefalle, but the racers jump over that, and Hausbergkante. I also find the Alte Schneise tricky, when it's open for punters, but that's rather because it becomes mogully, despite being relatively flat.

P.S. There are more pictures of the Streif in the Picture Gallery of the Hahnenkamm web site, in the 'Course preparation' sections, http://www.hahnenkamm.com/cms/en/race_live/picturegallery/index.html.
snow report
Conditions must be so key. The hardest piste I have skiied was the Sache in Tignes that runs from near the Aquille Percee down to Tignes Les Brevieres.

It was March and there was loads of snow and we had been skiing the black Face, Epaule de Charvet and Trolles in the Espace Killy no probs but the Sache was something else. The top section was only like a blue but hadn't been pisted in a while so it was mogulled and off-pistey and this knackered our weedy legs nicely before we got to the relatively short tricky bit which was narrow, steep with monster moguls, an adverse camber and a nice patch of black ice. It was decorated with knock kneed skiers perched atop moguls and down the edges making it even more challenging. Most of the skiers on this section merely got down it and we were firmly in this category. I only saw 2 skiers "ski it" as in look comfortable and controlled.

I would hesitate before doing it again without the magic feather of an instructor as while I made it down I felt I could easily have been one of the fallers. I think that conditions could often be worse in snow droughts and would hate to find this out the hard way.
latest report
one of the main problems with le tunnel is the traffic!! also alot aof peopel head through the tunnel without thinking of whats on the other side, so you left with a few people heading down in front of you who arn't up to the challenge!! not claiming to be up to it myself but that narrow bit at the start doesn't get any easier when your avoiding skiis and poles!

a great run though! really tests your ability... especially with carvers stuck to your feet!
ski holidays
The Mausfalle on the Streif is probably the toughest (and also mercifully one of the shortest) runs I've done, ice moguls most of the way, strange mixture of fall lines, very tricky, but it's length made it much less unpleasant than easier tough runs I've done.
snow report
richmond wrote:
The Mausfalle on the Streif is probably the toughest (and also mercifully one of the shortest) runs I've done, ice moguls most of the way, strange mixture of fall lines, very tricky, but it's length made it much less unpleasant than easier tough runs I've done.
From the pics I've seen, my estimate is it's about in the upper 30s degrees?
snow report
skiking4, the only piste I've skied on of which I know the pitch is Direttisssima in Kitzbuhel, which is (or claims to be) 70%, 35 degs; I'd guess that Mausfalle is a bit less steep overall, but I could easily be wrong. It's probably steeper at the top and less steep at the bottom, where the slope is relatively gentle. The problem is, or was when I skied (or rather, skidded largely sideways down) Mausfalle, that there are icy moguls the size of small cottages all over it. (Direttissima is very user friendly as it's reasonably wide and groomed.)
latest report
richmond, thanks for the info. Can't wait to get up there during half term!
snow conditions
Highline at Vail is the only run that has ever caused me to hyperventilate - it's not the steepest pitch I've skied, but it was 500+ vertical metres of continuous huge moguls on a 35 degree or so pitch at 3,000 metres altitude. It just wears you down in a way that the short steep pitches referred to above can't match.
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
We need Easy Gully put on the Nevis Range Piste Map, but climbers would get upset, plus the name could be asking for trouble! Twisted Evil

Easy Gully is (or was) on the Nevis Range piste map, marked as a yellow off-piste run along with Summit Gully and Spikes. I've ridden all 3. Easy Gully is certainly steep and intimidating, but it's pretty wide and really not that hard. The other 2 are pretty straight-forward.
ski holidays

Frosty, same here. Got caught out thinking I was heading towards a blue on my board after a ton of fondue and fizzy pop. The moguls were the size of Everest and K2 put together and the gaps inbetween had their own microclimate they were that deep!!! I made tha down partly on my bum, partly barndooring it - 100% cream crackered beyond belief.

Corbet's Colouir - nothing compared to that!! Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rich wrote:

On N American trail maps, a dashed black often means double black diamond, and solid black line means single black. Not all resorts do this, though.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
pisted (at least sometimes) runs are generally what are called pistes, with unpisted ones being called itineraries.

This was not always the case. It seems many resorts have re-classified (unpisted) black runs to itineraries in recent years, probably for liability reasons.
snow report
[quote="Specialman"]
Corbet's Colouir - nothing compared to that!! Smile
Um, ever seen S&S couloir?
ski holidays
There's a rumour that the Couloir Tournier, Meribel (the drop immediately to the left as you begin down the path to the Grand Couloir) may become a black run sometime after 2010, once the replacement of the Burgin-Saulire gondola is completed. I sincerely hope not, I love it the way it is, but if it ever becomes "a piste", I'd imagine that it would be more difficult than the GC as it seems a little steeper, substantially narrower in places, and generally has less snow cover.
ski holidays
As Martin Bell says dashed black line in many US resorts = double black diamond. In Jackson these runs are definately not itineraries and are official runs IMO. They are not back or side country like an itinerary in France for example. Those have zero controls in place and you are 100% at your own risk. The fact that the avalanche happened in JH is another matter altogether and just highlights the serious terrain they have within a few slides of a lift without any need to hike.

I suppose this thread is very different depending on your ability and everyone being so varied in that department has different opinions. Bottom line is that none of the European pistes come close to the technical nature of many US double black diamonds runs that can have the requirement to get air just to either enter or get to the bottom !!! Laughing
ski holidays
scrubyjoe wrote:
I went down Le Tunnel in ADH 2 days ago and wow that thing is serious stuff. Moguls bigger than the mountain itself and wicked narrow at the top!! I have heard it called the 2nd hardest run in the Alps..... didnt hear what the hardest one is.

My 13 yr old and 14 yr old were taken down Le Tunnel the other day. By an Instructor - not by me - far too scared. When asked how it was we got the usual teenage `s`alright` - and that was that.
snow report
Here's a better question for this thread FOR DISCUSSION:

What has harder pistes: East Coast US/Canada vs. Europe?

No off-piste, just pistes. And this is a friendly discussion for fun, so it's not one of those things where someone starts a riot saying that this is a stupid thread and that anyone who posts in it is idiots becuase there is no hardest piste.

So, to kick off the new discussion, I will say this as a start:

East: Worst (yes, worst) snow. Shorter runs. Generally more ungroomed. Narrower runs. Below treeline.
Europe: Wider runs, long long runs, generally groomed, above treeline.
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
Winterhighland wrote:

Easy Gully is (or was) on the Nevis Range piste map, marked as a yellow off-piste run along with Summit Gully and Spikes. I've ridden all 3. Easy Gully is certainly steep and intimidating, but it's pretty wide and really not that hard. The other 2 are pretty straight-forward.

Enjoy. I wouldn't get too excited about the Mausfalle or the Strief in general; some or all of the itinerary sections, that is, the steep bits, are likely to be shut, and they are mercifully short anyway. The rest of the Strief is basically a road with a a few short red pitches. Kitzbuhel overall is a great place, although the skiing is not in general challenging. Very pretty, lots of pubs on the slopes.
latest report
DaveC, Corner Pocket? Skullie Found the Saddle bad enough the first time...

It's not the piste from the Moos into St Anton that's so bad, it's the gravel in the snow at the bottom that instantly puts you into a face plant in front of 3 busy aprés bars Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Remember going valiantly past the "Good Skiers only" sign at the beginning of Epaule du Charvet. Was very steep but not as bumpy as described here (perhaps because it was early morning). Challenging but nowhere near as difficult as the black Foret run on the far left side of Val d'Isere. Poor cover, huge moguls and icy as hell...by far the toughest thing I have ever skied. yet to try Sache and Silene...next time!!
ski holidays
I have to admit that the times we skied the Epaule du Charvet the snow was superb and the bumps not too big Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Patch,

I don't think the Couloir Tournier is much more difficult than the Gd Couloir, the only real issue is the generally thin snow cover at the top that forces you to be a little creative in getting round the rocks. I doubt it will be a marked run for that reason.

I really like the Tournier too. I think my single best run ever was as the sun set behind Meribel in early Jan on a cold, dry powder day. Thermals were causing powder to rise up in the rays of the setting sun as I dropped in and left nice tracks all the way down the Tournier. Bliss.

When I worked a season in Courchevel (ahem, 93/94) two other couloirs on the Courchevel side were marked runs. One under the cable car was called (imaginatively) Sous le Telecabine, the other was between there and the Gd Couloir but I can't remember the name. Sous le Tele is significantly steeper than either the Gd Couloir or the Tournier. Last time I was in the 3V they had been taken off the piste map.

J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy