Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Recon vs. K2 Xplorer vs. Salomon Tornado (Ti) vs. Salomon Lord vs. Volkl AC30

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got experience on more than one of these skis and can give me some advice? I'm about to purchase for the first time (have always hired in the past, but have been put off this time by the dire sterling-euro rate) but want to buy in UK before heading off next week so can't do pre-testing.

I'm a 'decent' skier, can get down pretty much any piste; am not the best on bumps/powder but looking to improve over the next couple of years. 10-15 weeks in total, though skill level can be a bit variable! Definitely 90% piste at present but looking to change this so am very keen on the 'all-mountain' offerings, be it a 70/30 or 50/50.

Quite like the look of the K2 Apache Recon as a 'middle-of-the-road' ski, though worried i might not find it very responsive on the piste. Volkls look good but i'm concerned that they might be a bit 'too demanding'. Tornado looks good but i've heard it's hopeless in powder. Read theat the Xplorer is a great all-rounder but may not be very nimble on piste, esp. in bumps. Lord looks somewhere in between the lot. Certainly its the Recon and Lord that seem to have won prizes. All are within the 430-470 price range.

Know it's a really personal thing, but if anyone has tried any (preferably more than one) of these then would be great to hear your thoughts.

On a separate note, ideally would like to try before buying but am put off buying in-resort by the low pound. Does anyone know what sort of prices these skis are going for in typical Val Thorens / St Anton shops? Am willing to take a bit of a hit on the exchange rate if it means i can try first!

Cheers!
Mike.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mikeyg, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikeyg, I just did a multi ski test http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46761&highlight= in Chamonix. Most places will let you demo a different ski each day and then knock the rental price off if you decide to buy a new ski from them. Take some UK prices with you and negotiate the final price as the exchange rate is doing us no favours.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Scarpa... any idea how much they were charging for the ones you looked at? Would be good to know how much of a euro-roasting i'd be in for by waiting.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mikeyg, I had demo skis for 25 Euros per day. All refunded if I bought a pair. Pricewise... skis such as the Navis are £524 in slush and rubble, whereas they were from 569 to 589 Euros in resort. However bring in price lists and chat to the staff... maybe buy some other kit and grab a discount. I'd never buy a ski I hadn't tested first now... some very similar skis just mesh differently for folks. I'm happy to pay a little extra for the ability to do that. And there is a hell of a difference between doing a few runs down a short artificial slope and being able to try them out on all sorts of terrain.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had my Recon's for quite a few years now, and despite getting newer skis, just keep going back to them. You don't need to worry about their responsiveness on piste - assuming you don't get ones which are two long for you. I ski all sorts: piste, off-piste, trees, crud, bumps, and I keep coming back to the Recon's as my weapon of choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa,

I'd guess that is true... if I had had 3 sets of skis to try I wonder if I would have ended up on my current Gladiators. I think I would want a TT at 187 plus just for a bit more confidence on really fast reds...but maybe I wouldn't have found that limit on day 1...
As you say, some skis, just fit a bit better than others and the more you try, the more chance you have of finding that best ski for you. It might take 3 days of differing conditions to do that as well... so I aim to 'like' my skis in their worst environment and that would tend to be icy pistes for fatter skis. If they go well there, then the rest can be pretty much a given.

I must say that the Glads were pretty chummy in moguls which is a nice surprise..I think I'll keep them...althou will also try the Goli Sluff if I get the chance in a few weeks. And the Thunder....

hmmm, lots of work to do..!!! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, I was amazed at how well the Black Crow Navis at 103mm handled in the moguls. Easier to turn than my 76mm current skis.

Sounds as if you have plenty of fun ahead though Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for feedback guys! Recons definitely still look appealing but really ant to try before buying - does anyone know what they're selling for in-resort? Willing to take a £50 hit for buying out there but not much more!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Recons are a solid and heavy ski which can be a decent piste blaster. I suspect you could get the same piste performance from the Explorer at 85mm plus get that dividend in deeper stuff.

The Recon is an old model now, I think with no mods for a few years. Doesn't make them a bad ski at all just that the market and technology has moved on, IMO

The Recon is sometimes deemed damp and uninspiring but that just makes it docile if you need it to be... but it powers up quite well if you want it to, IME.

Skis I would say of the same ilk as the recon would be
Movement Spark..Very good
Dynastar 8000... Good altho' only tried an older model
Volkl AC30 type equiv..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeyg, I've just come back from a week with a pair of Stockli Rotors. They seemed (to me) to be v good in pow (for a 76 mm ski), and able to carve great chunks out of the piste. Mrs Ski has Recons, the Rotors seemed more fun to me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski,

I should have mentioned a Stockli XL or XXL but they can be deemed stiff.... but if the user can push them then they can blast a few of my list away, I reckon
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, Only plumped for the Rotors because of a deal, was going to go with XLs. Pleased I went with the Rotors, fast enough on the piste (14m radius), but fat enough to make pow easy too. I have a set of Apache Chiefs, but wanted something to be a true all mountain ski. They seem to do the job.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski,

I'd try any Stockli as all the ones I have been on do exactly what they claim to do.. Lasers, Snakes and BC's, XL's etc etc ...
altho I do think you need to get the lenghts right for the skier as if you get that wrong, they can be a handful or rather, take some skiing.

Stockli edge hold...nuff said.. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wow

Can any of you knowledgable snowheads help me? I posted earlier in this equipment reviews bit but no one is replying, have I done something wrong? I am new to all this forum stuff. Puzzled
latest report
youngeratheart, you posted 2 hours ago, relax! snowHead
snow report
Thanks arv.

I'll do that. My hubby uses Corvette forums all the time and its fast and furious so to speak. I thought it was always like that. Laughing

How do you get the bold name of who you are replying to to come up? Puzzled
latest report
I have had a set of Recons for a few years now. They are quite a heavy, stiff ski but they will bash through anything. I love 'em.
snow report
youngeratheart, click their name before the reply or but [b ] [/b] either side of what you want in bold... (without the space after the first b in square brackets)
snow conditions
arv,

Yeeeees I'm getting it Toofy Grin

Thanks I'll let the thread continue and just observe. this ones interesting but a bit above my head.
snow conditions
I was amazed to find a 98mm ski that had a turn radius of 19m. I will never go back to skinny skis again Cool
ski holidays
youngeratheart, You'll pick it up sooner than you think... welcome to the ski asylum Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Scarpa,

Can you get rehab for snowheaditis? I think its too late for me I'm hooked!
snow report
youngeratheart, I've stolen the quote quite shamelessly...

They tried to make me go to rehab... I said snow, snow, snow!!! Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa,

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Scarpa,

I think we have digressed a little!!!!
snow report