Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying the Euro

Poster: A snowHead
OMG today my bank is selling it at 1.01 E to the £

Even as low as 0.98 the £ at the local post office.

So help

Im flying to Tignes on Sat (3rd Jan) should I buy

at home ?

at the airport ?

In resort ?

PS staying in Le Lac so wheres the best spot ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Walk up at East Mids airport on Sat 20th was 95 cents for a quid ( Shocked ) so don't buy 'em like that.
Pre-booked travelex is about the best you can get I believe.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-12-08 15:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, I sort of have the same problem. Normally I would get Euros from a cash machine, using a Nationwide debit card. However, I'm clean out of foreign currency at the moment (sod's law that this is the first year for ages that I haven't had some left over from previous holidays rolling eyes ) and I believe it's a bit awkward trying to find a machine that will dispense Euros when flying into Geneva (ie Switzerland) from the UK. I dislike having absolutely no cash on my person for the transfer to resort, so shall probably order a few Euros online to pick up from Travelex at the airport, alleged to be the best way when ordering in the UK (but for the best rate, it must be ordered in advance online). Should be interested to hear what other people say.

Sorry, can't help with ATMs in Tignes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry, book Travelex online to pick up at airport. In the great scheme of the cost of your hols its not going to make that much difference wherever you get them though
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There isnt a travelex at Manchester airport Evil or Very Mad

Lokks like I will need to get a few from my Natwest branch. currenty 1.013
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The current new low may also be because trading is slow over the break:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7802981.stm

Quote:
trading levels over the holiday period are low, which means that any moves in exchange rates are exaggerated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, The post office should be 1.0014 today according to their website (but as cathy says, in the scheme of things...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy,
Quote:

In the great scheme of the cost of your hols its not going to make that much difference

[OT]That's the way I'm beginning to think about taxis to Gatwick...![/OT]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renry, I always get a better deal in resort even if the banks there take a commission.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
cathy,
Quote:

In the great scheme of the cost of your hols its not going to make that much difference

[OT]That's the way I'm beginning to think about taxis to Gatwick...![/OT]

Laughing Laughing the 3.20 train from Croydon gets me to Gatwick 3.55 am. For a 6am flight this is just about OK. But the next train gets in at 5am so if there's anything wrong with my one, I really am cutting it fine. The previous one leaves 2.20, getting in 3 am which is ridiculously early. Oh well, it's an early morning start! At least its a Sunday so there shouldn't be so many others to get through security etc...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, it's a 6.30 departure, I think - at least mine is - so assuming the earlier train isn't cancelled altogether, you'll be OK even if it's running a bit late.

Sorry, folks - thread drift.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry for the drifting - bit snowy round these ways! Ah, if its 6.30 that'll be fine then. I'll have to check my tickets, I thought it was 6. That extra half hour would make all the difference!

Added edit to save creating a fesh post!: Just checked the joining instructions and you're right, it's 6.30. A positively decent hour. I think I'll be sorted then.......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm loving the rate that I am getting for buying sterling with my Euros though, don't know what your all complaining about. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A Nationwide debit card in an ATM is the best. There are plenty in Tignes le Lac, but I can't remember exactly where. I got 1.058 on 22/12/08 and 1.051 on 24/12/08.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some good advice and comparative software here
http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
snow report
Pete Horn wrote:
A Nationwide debit card in an ATM is the best. There are plenty in Tignes le Lac, but I can't remember exactly where. I got 1.058 on 22/12/08 and 1.051 on 24/12/08.

IIRC there is one next to the ESF office.
snow conditions
There is an ATM just to the right of the Maison De Tignes when looking at it from the piste, slightly round a corner.
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
There is an ATM just to the right of the Maison De Tignes when looking at it from the piste, slightly round a corner.

Ah yes, I remember now Smile
snow report
+1 for Nationwide debt card which is widely recognized as the best method.

But, this won't help you if you want to buy your Euros early at a better rate.

Travelex seem to offer better rates if you prebook online.
latest report
altis wrote:
Travelex seem to offer better rates if you prebook online.

More importantly if you pre-book online they don't charge commission (normally ~5%).
snow conditions
have booked with these best rate i could find even better than a euro card but you have to order in advance for the best rates ie 15/ 3/ 09 euro =1.0425

https://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com/index.asp
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy