Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double Wheeled Ski Bags

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads - I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas,

I am thinking of getting a double ski bag with wheels which needs to accommodate two pairs of skis (170 and 180cm) for lugging on and off trains, through St Pancras and Moutiers stations etc etc. The best value one I have found on the web seems to be the Dakine Fall Line 190cm which comes in at around sixty quid. Anybody got one? Comments?

Will my long 180cm skis fit?
Is it possible to put in at least one pair of boots with two pairs of skis?
Is it good quality?
Any other recommendations of similar bags I should look at?

Cheers,
Trenmold.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was given one last year and my 182cm skis get in fine. It is possible to get two pairs of boots in. The problem then is moving the thing as it has the proportions, weight and ease of movement of a dead body. Have now gone back to double ski bag and boot bags.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeh 2 pairs of skis and a pair of boots + other things (walking boots, clothes, poles) is simple, I advise putting the boots inside the actual container instead of in the boot pockets, they fit better. Had a frickin nightmare at Heathrow with that, 160L roller and my heli pack trying to get from terminal 4 to 5 using the trains and stuff... I am not a big dude though. No quality issues.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Before you part with your hard earned cash on Dakine. Type Lokker into both ebay and Google. Have seen Dakine to have a look at in shops and also owning a double wheel Lokker. I know where I'd be spending my cash unless you are hooked on the idea of being seen to pick Dakine off of the carousel in the airports
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am scared of the unknown hence the dakine.. and you wouldn't want to be seen holding anything else of course wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Sparks, arv, Megamum, Thanks for all your comments. I will have another look on ebay / google. Quality not name / label is the deciding factor in the Trenmold household.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
N.B. I would also echo the comments above though about the unweidiness of these big bags when completely filled. I didn't put ski boots in mine, but even so I could've done with being accompanied by Arnie Schwatzenegger when I took mine through the Paris underground on the trip that Trenmold, describes.

N.B. arv, of course the name is everything, but quality wise I'd rate the Lokker above the Dakine and price wise they are great!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
on my 2nd EB double bag, and never had any issues with unweidiness if anything they are worse if under packed.

Think gooutdoors had some cheapish dakine ones in.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trenmold, i bought one at Snow and Rock and it has done sterling service even when loaded with 2 pairs of skis, boots and tuning gear it wasnt too bad to lug around.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still on my very first double ski bag, a 19-yr old Salomon number. Must've done close to 100 trips. Apart from a compression-strap clip breaking after someone ran over it with an airport trolley it's still going strong, certainly stronger than my shoulders as lugging two pairs of race skis w race bindings plus all my kit for a week (about 30kg in total) without wheels across the London Underground is not fun. I'm going to replace it with a wheeled bag purely to save my body so am watching this thread with interest.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, was just kidding. I just bought the dakine because it was next day delivery, free and I recognised the name. A marketers dream.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mate been rocking this dakine bag and all dakine kit for years , best you can get , long lasting and looks well , buy it !!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Trenmold
don't underestimate the 'un-ease' of use aspect - an 18kg bag with wheels nearly 2m from the handle makes a _really_ awkward bag... it's not so bad if you're _just_ going from car to trolley to baggage carousel.... but if you actually need to lump the thing up stairs, through snow, into a train/bus/lift, they're a real pain.
Also, you tend to end up packing half your clothes around the skis to protect them from baggage trolls.... which is ok until the airline decides that your 'ski bag' is a low priority bumpable item.... skis are ok to hire, ski thermals less so....
On balance, I'd go for the smallest ski bag, and a separate one for 'everything else'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hamilton, Thanks I hear what you are saying! However I am unlikely to be flying to go skiing so my specific requirements for our typical skiing jaunt are :

bedroom of bungalow -> taxi -> Through St Pancras onto ski train -> luggage rack ..... luggage rack -> through Moutiers station (poss stairs) -> bus -> a hundred metres or so to Mottaret apartment (poss stairs) unpack it and forget for a fortnight. I have done this many times with Mrs Trenmold in tow and two sets of skis in seperate bags with no wheels plus various rucksacks, hat boxes, Fortnums hampers etc etc and am looking for a slightly simpler option. If we ever go anywhere not accessible by the Eurostar snowtrain we would probably drive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Trenmold, where in Mottaret are you?
snow conditions
Hi skimottaret, This year in Olympie but we do not own the apartment. Booked through Mottaret.com - we have stayed in his apartments for several years. I will check out your web site!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy