Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanches - bringing it home - Bernard Fabre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I saw the thread asking for a guide recommendation in Alpe d'Huez and pulled off my pin board an old card of a guy called Bernard Fabre, who a friend and I skied with in 2000. That was my first ever guided off-piste.

I was reasonably fit in those days but the guy was unbelievable. He never stopped, a 40 something teetotaller who lived for skiing and the mtns. Except for a picture postcard stop for lunch at a place in the middle of nowhere. He took us off the back of Pic Blanc down the steepest slopes I'd ever skied at the time. A great thrill to just duck under the netting. Winding our way down to a road where we were picked up by a guy doing the best impressioon of a big, jolly French ruralist of all time, to go for our meal. Then it was back in from the Oisan side, up Pic Blanc and cut right out of the The Tunnel. A lot of hard skating later we reached the very far left of the area shown on the piste map, where we skied down the side of a big avalanche trail and at the bottom I got my first ever experience of spring snow. We then joined the ski area again and I had a bad fall on the green (yes, green) coming in to the centre.

Anyway, I looked up his name to see if he had his own website and found out the next year that guy died whilst guiding. The first person I've know personally to have died in an avalanche.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/guide-killed-by-avalanche-in-lalpe-dhuez/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a much loved chap, i hear. his wife still runs a rather nice gite in Sardonne.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy