Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva car hire - french side?

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking to hire a car and it seems to be much cheaper and with a better selection of available cars (estates) from the french side.

However I recall reading several posts on here urging caution so I just wanted to check a few things.

The vignette - can we just avoid the swiss section of motorway? Or can we ask the hire car company for one if there isn't one in the car and how much will it be? Or worst case if we are stopped without one how much will we have to pay?

Snow tyres/chains - we are driving geneva to chamonix do we need either?

Logistics at the airport - is it obvious which way to go to get to the french sector car hire? Is it true that at the moment it's easier to pick up in the french sector anyway as they have changed the car hire on the swiss side?

SatNav - we have a TOMTOM and would plan to use it for directions but it does show speed cameras so do we need to wait until we are out of SWZ before we use it? Or are we ok if we can turn this function off (not sure if we can).

Anything else I have forgot to consider?

Thanks a lot and apologies as I know this comes up again and again but I haven't been able to find everything via the forums search. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Booked it for the swiss side to avoid any hassle and in the hope that the tyres/chains are in as standard although it did give us an option to pre-book and pay for them, I didn't. Booked through Holiday Autos and used the virgin link very kindly posted on here by red27/robrar/philipstanton so thank you very much for that, saved about £50. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah, Vignette - just avoid swiss motorway! To be honest the only place you are likely to be checked however is the main Bardonnex border crossing into France

Snowtires/chains - not sure - but it's a good route all the way.
Logistics at the airport - the french side is at Ferney Voltaire - it's (sort-of) behind the main terminal (which is just off the motorway in Switzerland). I suggest you set your sat nav to Ferney Voltaire on the way back and it should get you there easily as happened with us last year when we did the same. We came from Annecy area and just outside Geneva took roads other than teh mototway and we weren't even aware of crossing any borders - we just eventually realised that we were in Switzetrland.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

we weren't even aware of crossing any borders

Shocked better be careful. Swiss border guards might just have a sense of humour failure if you sweep through the border.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah wrote:
Booked it for the swiss side to avoid any hassle and in the hope that the tyres/chains are in as standard although it did give us an option to pre-book and pay for them, I didn't. Booked through Holiday Autos and used the virgin link very kindly posted on here by red27/robrar/philipstanton so thank you very much for that, saved about £50. snowHead
sarah, What company did HO get the car from? In Dec they supplied me a car from Alamo , the car was 'winterised' as standard and chains were included. What was missing were high viz vests.
Villz Re Vignette, if you hire in Switzerland, that will be included.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BMF_Skier, it is coming from Sixt. Hope it is winterized as standard and they don't stitch us for that. We have hi viz vests, I just need to remember them along with everything else!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, Email Holiday Autos and confirm?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BMF_Skier wrote:

HA will only confirm winter kit if you pay for it. I've never been allocated a car with Sixt when booking through HA - be interested to hear if it does come with chains.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
BMF_Skier wrote:

HA will only confirm winter kit if you pay for it. .
They did for me and I didn't pay extra.... Smile

Quote:
Dear Mr. xxxxxx,
Thank you for your email. Please be assured that snow pack is mandatory from from 1st November to 15th April this this includes winter tyres, snow chains, ice scrapper and this is Included in Holiday Autos Rates, so no charge will be applicable. Since this is mandatory we do not have to add this as an extra. This will be automatically provided by the supplier.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 28-12-08 23:13; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier, in which case they should have a quiet word with Budget who are one of their main suppliers at GVA who don't seem to supply chains as standard.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMF_Skier, rob@rar, Thanks. I will just wait and see, no point emailing them they will just tell me to pay up for it now, whereas there is a chance Sixt may supply the car with winter kit anyway.
rob@rar, It's for next week 3-10 so I will let you know the outcome on my return.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Guess I must have been lucky....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMF_Skier, was posting at same time as you, I don't get this then Puzzled If it is mandatory and thus included in their rates why then does it give you an option to select it along with child seats etc?? Are they trying to get you to pay twice? Am I being thick?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah wrote:
Are they trying to get you to pay twice??

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you offered them a bit more money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, I have just been on the Sixt site to do a mock booking, in the extras section it says compulsory snow tyres at 3.99CHF per day, if they are compulsory why isn't that factored into the price? Maybe BMF_Skier, was lucky, I am now fully expecting to be charged this on arrival at the desk. What have you done in the past? Pre-booked and paid extra upfront? Been lucky at the airport? Paid at the airport?
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
What have you done in the past? Pre-booked and paid extra upfront? Benn lucky at the airport? Paid at the airport?

Normally I do not pay extra for winterization when making the booking with Holiday Autos. I have never been asked to pay extra when collecting the car. All the cars I've hired have come with winter tyres, and all the cars except for those from Budget have had chains in the boot. As I said earlier, however, I've never been allocated a car with Sixt so they might be entirely different.
ski holidays
rob@rar, thanks. Fingers crossed then.
snow conditions
rob@rar, BMF_Skier, Just back...the car from Sixt did not come with chains, we requested them and took them for 29 CHF (glad we had them, almost had to use them). However it did have winter tyres and we didn't have to pay the mandatory charge, it must have been factored into HA's price already. It did have hi-viz jackets too. Sixt were very good, we got a very decent upgrade without even asking, maybe the lady on the desk took one look at our trolley and looked for the biggest car available Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy