Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester or Milton Keynes (or Tamworth!?!)?

Poster: A snowHead
Ski trip is booked for end of Jan, bought new boots and pants this year and would like an hour or two at an indoor slope (had a couple of sessions at Akcers dry slope earlier this winter but don't want to ruin my new gear) to test out how the boots feel etc.

I live about 15min from Tamworth however I always regret going there so have been talking about a road trip to Manchester or Milton Keynes (both round about the hour distance), which one to choose? On pics the Milton Keynes looks wider but I belive Manchester is longer?

Here are the price camparison:

Manchester
Peak £24
Off Peak £19
1hr30mins

Milton Keynes
Peak £21
Off Peak £18
1hr

Tamworth
Peak £25
Off Peak £17.50
1hr

On a final rant, where does the Tamworth Snowdome justify having the highest tariff despite being the oldest, shortest (I belive?), most tatty indoor slope, oop's and almost forgot the worst lift sytem in the British Isles?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only ever been to Tamworth 45 miles away. I'd be interested to try one of the others, maybe Castleford as that's only 65 miles away...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
manicpb, been to manchester and castleford, manchester is the best out of those two but can't comment on Tamworth, have a good trip when you go.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
manicpb, i go onto another snowboarding specific forum, and mk has a very bad rep at the mo. the latest reason being that someone badly damaged their new snowboard on an exposed screw head near the top of one of the lifts and was on the receiving end of some bad customer service afterwards. after seeing images of the damage, i would avoid and stick with one of the other options. manchester looks like a cheaper option?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're most likely off to the chillfactore on Friday (should've gone last week but I was poorly sick Sad). Never been to any of them before so looking forward to a bit of an adventure.

Price wise - the manc one looks something of a bargain, checked for online tickets and it works out at £44 for 2 adults and a child off peak, smashing!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They all have their good & bad points.

1. Tamworth's snow is different from the other "fridges". It is a thinner layer and more "granular" texture. Price-wise they often have a 2nd hour discount making their price more reasonable. However it has always seemed friendly with helpful staff.

2. MK & Castleford are the same company and (to me) seem to care more about those who are into ramps/rails than the recreational skier/boarder. They seem a bit less friendly than Tam. There is frequently a selection of poorly guarded "toys" on the slope. On one visit to MK with a group of SHs we witnessed a reckless skier (who should have been chucked out before she came to grief) break her leg on colliding out of control with an unguarded rail. MK slope is wide, but it's in 2 halves. When I have been they have often closed one side for something or other and the last time they opened an hour or more late for some "technical reason" then we had to ski the top half of one side (on which they were spraying snow) & then cross to the other side which had rails on it that created a funnel at the bottom. Cas is a single width slope, prob a bit wider than one half of MK.

3. Manchester is a nicer environment, especially for a mixed party as the learner slope, play areas and main slopes are all linked at the bottom and there are cafe bars with balconies overlooking all areas for spectators. (Tam has a balcony too, at MK/Cas viewing is very restricted). The slope at Man is wider and longer I think - it certainly feels bigger. When I went they didn't have any obstacles on the slope but that may not be the norm. There have been issues with the lift pass system - you have a (strong) paper ticket with a barcode and have to slot it into the machine every pass & the access to the lifts is slightly uphill - a bit of a pain, & def not good for novices.

There is a long discussion about Man going back to pre-opening - do a search on Chill Factore and I am sure you will find it.

Hope that is some help
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, My word, I didn't realise that you had been that busy!! Step up our resident UK Fridge expert - respect!! Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Manchester Smile
Longer than MK.
Where ever you decide pick your time carefully. We were at MK today (sunday) a 10am booking, by 11am the place was heaving. Check in was also V slow. Still fun on the slope though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
manicpb, Tamworth "snow" IME and that of others here who have tried other domes too is really not very good. MK can be great if you go at the right time but that´s not so easy to predict. So if equidistant, I´d go to ChillF - snow´s good and it´s a little longer and less cluttered than MK.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
balls to it all....

Drive another hour from MK to Stansted, jump on a cheap flight to Salzburg, stay a night, ski a day then go home!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
manicpb, Chill FactorE Manchester. The other 2 are rubbish in comparison.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb wrote:

On a final rant, where does the Tamworth Snowdome justify having the highest tariff despite being the oldest, shortest (I belive?), most tatty indoor slope, oop's and almost forgot the worst lift sytem in the British Isles?

They "justify" it by getting sufficient people through the door at that price to pay their overheads plus (hopefully) some profit. Any commercial organisation can charge what they like (subject to things such as price-fixing laws etc.), and it is up to the paying public to decide whether they are prepared to pay the prices set. What other places charge for a similar experience is irrelevant.

But when looking at prices, the cost of an extra 80 miles or so (round trip) of fuel should be taken into account. I'm guessing a bit at the distance, but you say an extra 3/4 of an hour, so 40 miles seems about right. That is probably going to be somewhere in the region of £10 of extra fuel, so making Tamworth the cheapest - for you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, it's been odd visits over a 2 year period! I am lucky enough that Cas, Manc & Tam are all within easy day-trip distance for me (< 2hrs). I guess Hemel will be the closest for you? Have met my sister & tribe in Tam a couple of times as it's midway between us & went there once on the way to or from visiting her. Have been to MK 2 or 3 times, once with you of course, but that is a long way. Hubby took me for a surprise trip over the pennines to Manc when I had a day off and I have been to Cas a number of times & know lots of others who have as it's only about 50 mins from here. To do Manc I have to drive past Cas and I probably would unless time was an issue - we are planning a day out over there with a group of friends of different abilities inlcluding non-skiers & younger children. Cas would def not work as well for that group.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb, you may wish to consider the Masterclass sessions that they run at Tamworth on a Wednesday evening (8 till 11pm). I've skiied these classes for a number of months and have found them very useful, plus they are better value for money. Wednesday is a ski only evening too

Ok, this time of year it is getting busier, but hit it on a good night and there can be only a handful of people in the Masterclass sessions. In the summer you can even get 1 to 1 tution as you may be the only one in the class. Even if you only wish to ski the Masterclass for a few of the drills and then rec ski the rest of the session, they don't seem to object

Certainly worthwhile considering IMHO......I may even see you there! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
manicpb, have skied MK and Manchester in the last couple of months. As said above, MK is smaller (?2/3 the size) and has pillars down the middle. Snow quality seemed a bit more snow-like at Manchester. If I didn't live 4 hours away, it would be Manchester for me every time Sad
ski holidays
Went to Manchester yesterday, arrived before 11.00 and was told we could'nt get on till 4.30! Learn a lesson from me and my idiot mates, if your taking the effort to travel to a 'dome, book your time on the slope in advance!

That aside we crossed over the peak district and went to Swadlinecote to try out there new PermaSnow surface, had an enjoyable session but wont be rushing back. It is such a difficult surface to board naturally and everything seemed forced.
The one BIG positve for the PermaSnow is how amazingly soft it is, although its difficult to get set up to ollie or spin it is almost imposible to bruise your delecate areas!

IMO I would rather go to a dendex slope!
snow conditions
In Manchester last night 2nd Jan.

Really busy.

In its favour - nice ambience, allthough most things were shut as we were there from 8pm. Why is that? Don't they want to take my hard earned cash after then? Good staff at Snow and Rock. and Chill Factore staff were friendly but seemed a little overwhelmed.

Against - massive cues from M60 because of Trafford centre.

Couldn't book on line - does their site not like Macs?

Not enough staff - this was the biggie. If you are renting gear - get there in loads of time. (Would advise more than 1 hour to make it to your alloted start time - also allow for the traffic if you are travelling any distance). If you are late to the gate because of cuing for skiis you loose time on the hill.

Lifts kept stopping for malfunction. This place has been open less than 2 years right?

Skiied with my 8 year old and there was no one to help him on the Poma - again because of too few staff.

Too many borders who can't seem to cue in twos so the lines were way longer than they needed to be. Cues not managed. but then what do you expect from chavs with ironing boards strapped to their boots? Twisted Evil

We were in the area so stopped off but for 3 kids and a grumpie old man it still works out expensive. We have skiied Tamworth and Castleford and to be honest Tamworth is the best, even tho it smells and looks like my local Council Leisure centre.

My guess is that Chill Factore will need to look at the capacity they can take on the hill/lifts, staffing roster and other issues to be a really successful leisure business. It seemed as if their systems were driven by them not by customer experience,

Been away from the site so a Happy Christmas (still is the season to be jolly) and a happy New Year to y'all.

Boyo
ski holidays
boyo, I have previously booked online a few times with no problems so probably just site playing up?

Will absolutely agree about the amount of people they let on at one time! The cues just get stupid.

Can't understand the lifts breaking cos its never happened to me, Its been open about 14 months i think.

IMHO better than cas though
latest report
Lifts seemed to be playing up all night - the one on the right the so called "quicker" lift. Went to cas about three years ago in the height of summer and no cues!! Very Happy

I'm starting to think that saving the ash towards a second week or long weekend is the best way to go.

Has anyone done the maths, e.g. fuel and all costs combined?

Boyo
snow conditions
I tend to use MK a couple of times a year as it is only 45 mins drive, before it opened went to Tamworth.

IMO there is no contest between the two and MK is far superior. Tamworth is really showing its age and appears very gloomy inside. While they have improved it by opening a couple of smaller beginner slopes, these are stuck around the back along a very gloomy walk way. I believe the snow is scraped ice rather than made via snow makers.

While I would still always choose MK over Tamworth, I think MK has gone downhill significantly over the last year. In particular Customer Service from the front desk, ski rental and on the slopes seems to be non-existent. I wrote to Xscape to express my views - not surprisingly I have never heard anything back. At weekends they always have half the slope closed for kids parties/sledging - no doubt a more profitable activity than skiers. Slope grooming also seems to be variable at best and the top of the runs can have some real icy patches.

Plus points - the dedicated lesson slope is good as is the instruction the kids (and myself) have had there. If you go off-peak during the summer you can also have the place to yourself.

I genuinely hope someone from MK Xscape reads the comments here, cos they really need to get their act together. If the much talked about indoor slope happens at Hemel then I for one will go there.
latest report
I've only used Tamworth and MK and the snow and slope on the latter were better. MK is 170 metres long so how long is Manchester if it is half as long again??
Tamworth snow is not really snow but shaved ice, I was told.
As for the jumps and rails these are generally removed at MK during the main skiing season (ie from the lead-up to Christmas on) because of the larger crowd. Go outside school holidays during the week and if possible early or (the best) very late.

I shall be going to my nearest (MK) on Wednesday or Thursday - just before heading out to the Alps. Anyone else interested?
ski holidays
I've been to Chill Factor E three times... although i only actually got on the slope the first time as it was absolutely hammered both other times.

The one time we did get on the slope, i ended up getting a couple of half price session vouchers due to the fact that in 3 hours we got about 6 runs down because of the enormous queues and the lifts breaking/stopping about every 10 minutes.

In the letter that accompanied the voucher, it said that the voucher was a goodwill gesture as the 6 runs I got was only a bit less than the average they would expect on a busy day.

Sod that.

Went back another couple of times to try and cash in the half price vouchers but it always seems to have the same kinds of queues.

Voucher has now expired, so i'll probably head to Castleford in future unless i start reading reports that Manchester has improved dramatically.
latest report
Boris, wouldn't argue with you re: customer service from rental/slope staff - it is variable, can be very good can be very poor, and if you only go a couple of times a year you might get very poor both times! Lessons/instructors generally get good reports though. Can't argue re: tobogganing either - really annoying and imho times should be clearly posted on the website. I do think though that snow quality/grooming has been much better over the last year and is generally quite good most of the time now, and certainly if you don't go late in the day when it's all skied out.
snow report
slikedges, will take your word re grooming - haven't been since June so can't comment.

Had a lovely day skiing there in June - Tuesday, 40th birthday - had the place to myself
ski holidays
magic_hat wrote:
the voucher was a goodwill gesture as the 6 runs I got was only a bit less than the average they would expect on a busy day.

Sod that.

Only a bit less than average!! 6 in 3 hours Shocked That's stupid, I would expect to get 2 or 3 times that in one hour (but I wouldn't go at a weekend or peak times).

I'll either go at the start of the day or the evening after supper.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:

I genuinely hope someone from MK Xscape reads the comments here, cos they really need to get their act together. If the much talked about indoor slope happens at Hemel then I for one will go there.

I honestly don't think they are interested - the more people on the slope the more income they're getting. They and Castleford seem to be more interested in freestyle skiing/boarding than those who go to learn/practise "normal" skiing/boarding. When you look at their publicity there is a strong leaning towards the former. I wrote to complain and so did a friend. I got a standard "we're sorry you didn't enjoy your visiti & have noted your comments" type of response & she got no reply. My complaint was about a visit in the summer of 07. "Junior race training" was advertised for the day I planned to go, so I rang the day before to say I was recreational standard but with little experience and lots of nerves and asked if they thought I ought to postpone.. I was told the racers would be using a narrow section of the upper slope and not to worry - it would be fine for me. Well, indeed the racers were using half the upper slope with slalom poles and they were impeccably behaved. However the rest of the slope had numerous large rails/ramps including one right in the centre between the two mid-station lift exits that was massive & had a narrow icy track round it. The available upper slope was very narrow - I scared myself rigid coming down it and very nearly lost it hitting the ice. I tried entering at the mid-station and setting off on ice was too much so I left!

My friend's complaint was she had phoned to book for a Sat evening with relatives who'd travelled a very long way. The staff took her booking over the phone and never once mentioned that there would be a freestyle competition taking place on the slope all evening - they didn't shut the slope but skiing during the competition was extremely limited. Had they known they'd have chosen to go on the Sunday instead.
snow conditions
Boris,
Quote:

If the much talked about indoor slope happens at Hemel then I for one will go there.

It is happening, it's under construction and I believe will open in April?
snow conditions
Butterfly, I do think that all indoor slopes should show enough respect for their customers to clearly announce and post information on when their main recreational slope(s) have events or furniture on them which could significantly restrict open practise.

beanie1, yes, April, should be a good facility.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris, I think April 29th was the original date spoken of for the Hemel opening, with the shake down period starting in February. 2 months skiing the slope with no customers will be really hard Toofy Grin

http://www.thesnowcentre.com/project-progress/webcam
snow conditions
After the disapointment of not getting on at Manchester I went down Tamworth with my sister and family and had really good session on New Years Eve. Got on the slope at 9.30 (so it was an early start) and the snow was nice, only 2 or 3 people on the slope at any time and the place has had a lick of paint since I last went.
As the clock ticked on to 10.00 though the place just got busier and busier, I cant belive the amount of learners on the main slope. It brought back the reasons I rarley bother, but still I have to say I did have a enjoyable hours boarding there.

One final word on custmer service, my bindings are a bit mix and match and a toe strap was'nt really working right so I thought I'd try my luck on the hire desk and the techie sorted me out and fitted an old toe strap from out the back. After service like that I'm gonna find it hard to justify another road trip to manc or MK soon!
snow conditions
manicpb, good customer service can make up for a multitude of sins and the whole British service industry needs to ram that home to its staff Little Angel
snow report
As an 'old' Tamworth hand,here's my thoughts on the place.Originally learnt to ski there(as did the rest of the family)and its changed little.Can be a bit of an icy skid pan....though some days its worse wink Can get very crowded,the uplift is slow,the hire ski's are crap and the wanna be knarly boarders are a bloody menace.In essence....just the same as any indoor dome.Cant comment on Cas(never been)though I doubt its much different to MK,where I have skied.Found MK to be crowded,expensive,and the 'attendants' totally useless.Both times I went,there were problems with people falling off the lift,and the 'lifties' did nothing.Prob waiting to see if they wanted fries with their fall.Very frustrating Evil or Very Mad
The friendliness of Tam has been mentioned.I would agree.Been many times,and have had a few problems(arrogant boarders,broken down travalator etc)and the staff have always done something.Price wise,they often have BOGOF(thinks its on at the mo)so,2hrs for £25 peak.Daytimes are best,if you can make it.Ski only night can be good,esp as the evening wears on,as it often quietens down.Would not go during weekends now as the novice sessions will be in full swing.The ski lessons are OK(they are to the one side),its the newby boarders which are the pain as they occupy the middle of the slope on the bend(typical rolling eyes )
All in all,it is what it is,an indoor dome.Its dated,can be crowded and a poor substitute for 'real' skiing.But,for me,its 45mins away and about the cheapest 'snow' option.Oh...and the coffee's pretty good,if a little pricy.Rarely go these days but,if desperate,it remains my 1st choice.
snow conditions
We went to chillfactore on Friday (2nd Jan). Arrived good and early and still didn't manage to get near the lift until half an hour into our time! It didn't seem too busy but it was slow. Child & bloke timed it at approx. 8 minute cycles. Didn't actually notice any staff around, and the girl who bombed straight down the middle, through the cushions and into the lift queue was allowed to get up and continue unchallenged, much to my amazement!

I quite liked the slope, though I was rubbish and spent a lot of my time side stepping up and slowly practising drills. Will definitely go again - maybe not during the busiest times though.
ski holidays
kittya wrote:
and still didn't manage to get near the lift until half an hour into our time!
Why? Did you just toddle around near the bottom? Or didn't you know that your time should start when you get on the slope?
snow report
snowball wrote:
kittya wrote:
Why? Did you just toddle around near the bottom? Or didn't you know that your time should start when you get on the slope?

Advanced faffing Smile

Booked for 4pm start, arrived at 2.45, picked up lift tickets and went for a wander. We were upstairs for a look and a coffee, then at 3.30 went through the door for ski collection - thinking that 30 minutes was plenty of time - somehow it managed to get to 4.20 before we were picking up sticks! Nothing but queues & faffery. Getting somewhere to get changed, getting changed, finding a locker, etc, etc,.
ski holidays
Judging by the comments on this thread, I'll probably stick to Tamworth in future. It's the only one I've ever been to and my nearest at 40-odd miles away. However, not sure I'm going to manage getting a session in before I go to Italy in 9 weeks' time as I've only weekends free, unless I can wangle out of work early on a Wednesday evening and manage to get there for the ski only session...
snow report
snowskisnow, I doubt if MK is any more crowded than any of the other snowdomes - ie packed to the rafters! Rather the attitude of the slope staff seems the major factor (or at least certainly one of two) in determining whether customers have a positive experience. Unfortunately I think there is such demand for these places at present that at least for now they feel they can get away with the current situation and still the paying public will clamour to get in. Personally I don't like Tamworth because it's short, shorter for the annoying dogleg, and snow there on a good day was comparable to MK on a bad day. Should mention that I've been to Tam quite a few times but not for a few years now.
snow report
snowball wrote:
kittya wrote:

I have my own equipment and for my chill factor session, i was all kitted up, ready to go and waiting near the turnstiles to get into the "paying area" in plenty of time.

However, it turned out that loads of other people were also starting their session at the same time and before long the area around the two turnstiles were hammered with people pushing and shoving.

No-one could get through the turnstiles until the allotted time, so as soon as the second hand ticked over, all hell broke loose with people trying to get through the barrier. Then one barrier stopped accepting tickets and we all had to move to the back of the other queue.

It was easily 20-25 minutes into my slope time before i was anywhere near the snow.
ski holidays
I first skied and had lessons at MK and to be honest I think that it is all they are good for. Have been there several times and Tamworth also (my daughter had her first lessons there) but go very rarely now, perhaps a couple of times a year when it is quiet (out of season) or if I get a free/very cheap deal. I wouldn't rate MK much above Tamworth to be honest but I haven't been to Tamworth for a couple of years.
snow conditions
magic_hat, forgot to mention that myself, its all a bit stupid really, the system at cas is much better as I remember!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy