Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mobile Phone Sim Cards in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I am about to go to Kaprun for a weeks fun and was wondering if Pre Paid Sim cards are available there.

On my last trip in March I managed to run up a £145 phone bill in 4 days mostly due to roaming charges so was looking at ways to cut this down.

Are they available and where do you buy them?

Many thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-12-08 22:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have an Austrian pay as you go SIM card which I got from a Hofer store. A few years back, it cost me €20 which included €10 credit. I have to top up €20 per year to keep it active, but it saves me loads. The website (in German) is http://www.yesss.at/home.php
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B,

Thank you, what is a Hofer store?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a supermarket.....I think it's the German branch of Aldi.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks again, I'll try them when I'm out there
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
blades wrote:
On my last trip in March I managed to run up a £145 phone bill in 4 days mostly due to roaming charges so was looking at ways to cut this down.

OMG Shocked Shocked Shocked

Seriously though, do you really need to use your phone that much this time around (eg urgent work stuff), or were you just a little naive last time? For a short trip away I would have thought that a bit of common sense, rather than a foreign sim card, would suffice in most cases; just remember, it's usually expensive to chat on your mobile when abroad, even if you're not making the call. Can it not wait till you get back home?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blades, You can also get them from the post office. You will also need to have the phone unlocked from it's network.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyboy,

Thanks for the tips, I must remember to ask your advice on any questions that, stating the obvious, is the best answer Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:
It's a supermarket.....I think it's the German branch of Aldi.
Umm, Aldi is German.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Austria Aldi is called Hofer (for some strange reason).... it may belong to the other brother (who owns Lidl) after their little argument....

As for phones.... Most O2 phones accept the A1 pay as you go sim (which is available in post offices) - top up €20 per year to keep active.
You can get a handset and a payg sim for as little as €30 from the post office - be warned though, the handset is always poo!

Still expensive for phoning abroad though!....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use uk O2. they have a service which is called myeurope extra

http://www.o2.co.uk/services/international/travellingabroad/paymonthlyabroad/myeuropeextra

You pay £10 per month (this can be only for the months you need, not for a minimum period and you receive calls for free. dialling out is at a reduced rate. I've used it for 2 years and it's saved me a fortune. You can get it on O2 payg.

Alternatively, try SIM4travel http://www.sim4travel.net/

Both of these options have a UK number, meaning that people who want to get hold of you are not necessarily put off by dialling an overseas number.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i have a lebara sim card which i use on holidays, think its 10p a text can't remember the call costs but check their website out... www.lebara-mobile.co.uk also i got given a leaflet in bristol for Lyca Mobile so maybe check them out... www.lycamobile.co.uk

Chris
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How is an austrian card going to be cheaper. For me my uk 3 account charges 25p per min when roaming. My german sim charges more to phone the UK. Unless you plan on making local calls you are not going to save much
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 I've found often has better signal in Austria than in rural UK.

If you're on one of their foreign networks they don't charge extra for calls or data abroad - see 3 like home. It's as simple as it sounds, so long as you're on 3 Austria calls and texts to the UK come out of your inclusive minutes and you're not charged to recieve.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use the 3 like home when in Austria. The western side of Austria is covered which is convenient for me. Bregenzerwald and StAnton have good 3 coverage so I get to use my inclusive minutes without any roaming charges
ski holidays
stevev wrote:
How is an austrian card going to be cheaper.

When receiving calls it is free. When calling local numbers it is free/very cheap. I reckon that I save about £30 in a week in Austria, and I hardly use my phone.
snow conditions
blades wrote:
I am about to go to Kaprun for a weeks fun and was wondering if Pre Paid Sim cards are available there.

Are they available and where do you buy them?

Many thanks

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls
ski holidays
Im on a Vodafone contract and have activated the "Vodafone Passport".

Basically, every call i make has a 75p connection charge and then the calls are just using the inclusive minutes on my contract. (Which i never get full use of anyway) Cant say i'd be using it too much when im away anyway.
ski holidays
When I go away I just stick a couple of euros per night in the pay phone to ring the family
latest report
Quote:
pay phone

Do people still use those old things
snow conditions
Elizabeth B,

That is the main cost I am suffering, the incoming calls are still charged to me for roaming so even though I rarley call out, I still end up with a huge bill
ski holidays
turn your phone off!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy