Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suncream/lipsalve during the day

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I tend to burn quite easily, so put a high factor on in the morning but do need to top it up during the day. For my first trip I found and bought a combined tube with a neck cord for £1 in a sale. Didn't see much of the sun, so it lasted quite a long time. This summer I set about replacing it, but refused to pay the prices I saw - the per unit price of the products doesn't bear thinking about. I liked the convenience of the small tube on a cord as I don't really like carrying a back pack and tend to stuff my pockets with the bare minumum for the day but don't fancy a pocket full of suncream if I were to fall on it and squash a container! Are there refillable options that work?

What do you seasoned folks do?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apply in the morning from a large tube, carry a small pocket one to re-apply as and when/if ever. Lip balm goes in sleeve pocket in jacket and re applied as needed. Never pay full price for either just pick up in resort, when seen on offer Smile

The ones we carry with us are tiny tubes given out as freebies from North American resorts Madeye-Smiley Dont they do that in Europe ? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not by anyone's measure a useful size bottle, but I find the Ambre Solaire Clear Protect range very good because it can just be put on extremely quickly, so I do it more often. Creams you really want to find a mirror to make sure everything's covered and white bits are gone but I can just splash this stuff on anywhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haven't found a refillable option, but have tended to use those small combined lip balm/suncream things. Found some good ones in Aldi last year and also managed to get some Ambre Solaire mountain sun ones for very cheap in Asda - Ambre Solaire have rebranded them 'uvski' now and changed the packaging, but you can get them for very cheap on the interweb.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boots and tescos both do little squishy pouches for suncream and cheap lip salves with spf 20 or so - I use those - find them great!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, Last year Tesco's did nice winter lip salve and a combined lip salve and suncream in a small tube - the lip salve being contained under the perspex top of the tube - it didn't hang round the neck, but was a nice compact tube. They also did the lip salve in a separate lipstick style container - they were nice and cheap and seemed to work when I used them - might be worth a look.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 28-12-08 23:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kittya, .a.j., Megamum, thanks - will try those sources.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a similar thing to Megamum last season, but from Boots. I'm sure it cost less than a fiver 'cos I'm a right skinflint...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always get lip salves with an SPF of 35 or so... plenty around. Combined with the solid sticks of sun block (£1 from Aldi) they are great for topping up during the day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly, I will only really use Ego Sunscreen or sometimes Hamiltons (both australian made but you can get Ego in the UK IIRC)... Ego mostly because I have sensitive skin and they make great products without perfumes or the most common sensitisers. In fact their Sunsensitive product is the best I have seen.(No chemicals, no perfumes, colours etc)

They once made "samples" in small bottles that I would refill from the larger pack. However some time back they went "el cheapo" on the packaging of samples and use horrible tubes that cannot reseal for the sunscreen samples now. However my ski instructor and I have a method of using their skin product samples (wash/moisturiser etc) and reusing the bottle... these bottles are about 3cm high 1cm thick(actually thinner I think) and 2cm wide.... perfect pocket size and they seal properly. I prefer their "Daily face" which is a sunscreen and moisturiser in one and does not tend to sweat off... the sports one is easier to get but sweats off pretty easily in comparison. I have 2 red head friend that swear by the daily face.

Anyway - you get the idea... find a product you like that works well... find small sealable bottle for top ups during the day... use often...

BTW - the Ego pink lipbalm is the only thing that works fro my friend who is prone to cold sores from the UV when she skis(like as often as possible in winter)....
Me - I prefer the Blistex black one - Clear Advance IIRC (stays on for long time and not white-tint like the Ego)...

To my mind the neck string stuff is too expensive and not usually a good quality product - but then I'm fussy about sunscreen...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I generally use baby sunscreen which is SPF 50+ and comes in smaller tubes than the adult stuff - I currently have both Boots and Mothercare brands. However, it does tend to stay white on your face which is a running joke around here, but I usually have little or no goggle tan by the end of the season which is my aim. I prefer a white face to damaged skin!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pollittcl, That is the advantage of Ego Daily Face... no white face.... and it works well enough on red heads who teach skiing or rock climbing down under where the sun is strong... so no problems re skin damage either.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy