Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

www.DataWax.com - anyone used recently? Am after a vice for skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm after a ski vice to grip skis while waxing/edging. Will only be doing a couple of pairs of skis, a couple of times a year so don't want to spend a fortune.

I know that the Jaws Of The Beast are the best around and that a couple of others get good reviews on here, but the problem with them ones is that the base (where the clamp is) is to wide for what i will be clamping on to (i.e. don't have space for a workbench, so will be clamping onto a very sturdy metal railing).

These ones.... http://www.datawax.com/datawax/showrange.do?range=4 have a much narrower base bit, so should clamp onto a railing better than the Jaws or Kunzmann ones.

However, a google search revealed a comment that DataWax went bust a couple of years ago... Anyone bought anything from the website recently.

Also saw these... http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/compact-ski-vice-9874585/#TAILLE but can't find a store that actually stocks them!!

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone did a home made effort on TGR recently which was excellent... might be worth a look...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat, I don't think that DataWax has gone bust, Ed doesn't have large overheads. I spoke to him about ordering some stuff at Easter.

Ed is probably away teaching this week anyway, maybe send him an email to ask about the one you saw.

If you are going to be in France at some point you can order direct from Vola.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Datawax deffers hasn't gone bust. Ed will be teaching just now in 3 valleys or paradiski area.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some people cut out a boot-sole shaped piece of wood to fit into the ski bindings and then arrange to clamp that in a normal vice. There have several threads here on Snowheads that describe the idea and their many variations. Some searching should find them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arv wrote:
Someone did a home made effort on TGR recently which was excellent... might be worth a look...

Nice idea, but I am a girl... therefore out of the question wink

rjs wrote:
magic_hatEd is probably away teaching this week anyway, maybe send him an email to ask about the one you saw.

The_Hirsty wrote:
Datawax deffers hasn't gone bust. Ed will be teaching just now in 3 valleys or paradiski area.

So I'm guessing this means that internet orders may take quite a while to arrive! Will drop him an email and see if he can fulfill orders whilst in France.

Adrian wrote:
Some people cut out a boot-sole shaped piece of wood to fit into the ski bindings and then arrange to clamp that in a normal vice. There have several threads here on Snowheads that describe the idea and their many variations. Some searching should find them.

Will Do... cheers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magic_hat, could be a DIY adventure for you snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, with similar ambitions to your own, as regards skis that is, I get on just fine with a wooden-jawed workmate type thing. You do need a pair of those rubber hooked things to keep the brakes out of the way though.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish wrote:
magic_hat, with similar ambitions to your own, as regards skis that is, I get on just fine with a wooden-jawed workmate type thing. You do need a pair of those rubber hooked things to keep the brakes out of the way though.

snowHead

Agreed, I just use a workmate too. And a couple of strong elastic bands to keep the brakes out of the way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a couple of the brake retainer bands, so am fine for keeping the brakes out of the way.

Don't have a workbench, but have just found these things on t'internet...

http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/60mm_Swivel_Table_Vice_34603/60mm_Swivel_Table_Vice_34603.htm

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16894/Hand-Tools/Vices-Clamps/Vices/Multi-Angle-Vices/Multi-Angle-Vice-75mm#

Something like this should do the job to grip the ski in place while i do some edging.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
magic_hat wrote:
Have a couple of the brake retainer bands, so am fine for keeping the brakes out of the way.

Don't have a workbench, but have just found these things on t'internet...

http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/60mm_Swivel_Table_Vice_34603/60mm_Swivel_Table_Vice_34603.htm

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16894/Hand-Tools/Vices-Clamps/Vices/Multi-Angle-Vices/Multi-Angle-Vice-75mm#

Something like this should do the job to grip the ski in place while i do some edging.

They would, but be careful.

The big advantage of the workmate it that it has wooden jaws. With metal jaws I suspect it would be easier to damage the bindings.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
magic_hat, The little workmate, which would be fine for skis I would have thought, as well as useful for someone without a work-bench, is £18.55 from Amazon.

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, alex_heney, Cheers.... all sorted, went for the Workbench option!

Was all set to get the Amazon one, but found one in a local store that is a couple of models up and has a step which a figured would be handy for stabilising things, and only a few quid more expensive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The little workmate, which would be fine for skis I would have thought, as well as useful for someone without a work-bench, is £18.55 from Amazon.

Chris Bish, Can we have a link to that please Toofy Grin
Also, would it fit onto a metal patio table, or is it a stand alone thingie?
What Asda iron and wax were you using on my ski's that made them go so well last week in La Plagne Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Linds, Here are the best buys that i found...

£18.55 - Bargain. Spotted by Chris Bish, definately the lowest price i could see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-B-DWM301-Workmate/dp/B0001GS0FU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1230413687&sr=8-2&tag=amz07b-21

Similar to the above, but a model or so up, with a step/foot pad to add stability.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63272/Hand-Tools/Workbenches-Trestles/Workbenches/Black-Decker-Workmate-536

Seems like a good price, a £100 workbench for half the price
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9288083&fh_view_size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=workmate&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1230413890272&isSearch=true
snow report
magic_hat, I think the 536 workmate is pretty well the model I have - and have been using regularly for all sorts of jobs for over 25 years!
snow report
alex_heney, That's the one i went for. Popped out and picked it up this afternoon - haven't set it up yet, but it looks like it will do the job perfectly. Plus i don't have to stand outside in the cold with some skis attached to my railings!
snow conditions
Linds, The answer to the iron question is (not surprisingly) the cheapest one! It was all of about £4. The wax is Vola from Decathlon. Nothing special at all, as you can see, but you do need some skill with the iron and keep it moving so the heat spreads well. It is a good idea to feel the top-sheet from the other side to make sure the ski is not getting too hot. As you have seen, the benefits from a decent hot wax are very noticeable.

The workmate is a free-standing folding device that stores flat.

snowHead
snow report
Make sure you don't have the skis firmly (or at all) clamped when waxing. The heat applied to the bases usually makes the material at the bottom of the ski expand compared with the topsheet and the ski's camber changes quite significantly (maybe more pronounced with old longer skis).
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, Yes, I always clamp (carefully!) to the sides of the bindings.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob... Aye. I have been well instructed by mister spyderjon in the art of ski tuning! This was one of the things he mentioned to be careful of!

Today will be my first solo run though on a pair of somebody elses skis before our trip to Arabba in a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
magic_hat, I'm another one of Spyderjon's pupils and like the others have mentioned, he gives some great hints and tips on what to do, what not to do. Many of the things he says are very much 'common sense' but until someone points them out to you......

I started off using a Workmate to hold my skis whilst tuning them, but bit the bullet and purchase some Jaws of the Beast ski vices from Sypderjon. Apart from having a great name, the vices are excellent and I wouldn't be without them now

I've gotta set out tuning my newly purchased Fischers. A bit of a pain, what with all of the edge tuning, hot scraping and base prep work, but all worthwhile.......plus it keeps me out of trouble - a few evenings in the garage with a space heater, radio and a beer.....bliss!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Sleipnir wrote:
magic_hat, I'm another one of Spyderjon's pupils ...... a few evenings in the garage with a space heater, radio and a beer.....bliss!!! snowHead
So am i, I thought the space heater, music and beers was required equipment? wink Jaws of beast is an excellent piece of kit, well worth the outlay. Smile
snow conditions
BMF_Skier wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:
magic_hat, I'm another one of Spyderjon's pupils ...... a few evenings in the garage with a space heater, radio and a beer.....bliss!!! snowHead
So am i, I thought the space heater, music and beers was required equipment? wink Jaws of beast is an excellent piece of kit, well worth the outlay. Smile

Well yes, I do agree that they are 'essentials' but I didn't want to be accused of leading anyone astray.....not that you bunch need any encouragement!! wink

Spyderjon did say that when it comes to tuning his kids' skis the attention he gave them was beer based....Did you want a one or two bottle tune?
Given the fact that the £ has gone down the pan, may be we should revert back to bartering??? Laughing
snow report
just completed several pairs on my new Jaws of the Beast bought from Spyderjon. Pricey but the business, I've fannied about with all manner of contraptions in the past, but am now set for life with these babies
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy