Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski waxing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just got some Atomic nomad crimsons sent from Conrad sports in Germany. Is it OK just to ski on them or do they need a waxing or any other type of servicing before use?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure someone else with a lot more knowledge that me in this than me will be along shortly, but from what I know.

Yes you can just ski on them, but it is recommended that you get them waxed before use to improve longevity.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, new skis don't need waxing. I now use a cheap snowboard hard wax. rub it on every couple of days it works a treat.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am no expert, but I think some would say that you can get rid of manufacturing by-products with an early hot-wax on new skis. I took my new Missions off to MK for a shakedown and to check they worked OK before heading for the hills. The abrasive artificial snow will have given them a bit of a caning, so on the basis that a hot wax can do no harm I intent to give them a pretty good layer before I use them for real in La Plagne at the end of January. You can always scrape if off if there is too much, but I like to keep my skis well-coated.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clive5 wrote:
Is it OK just to ski on them

Sorry....no!There is a simple maxim here....you cant wax enough.As a bare minimum I would say a couple of hot waxes(to remove manufacturing impurities and fibres)followed by a couple of base waxes to start building up wax in the base itself.New ski's are raw material...there is nothing there!If you want to maintain the life of the ski,and maintain its performance,wax is the only way.This brings a bit of a problem.If your only route is shop servicing,choose carefully.Machine waxing does little to build up base wax...you need a hand applied hot wax.There is also the risk that a shop may grind your new edges,shortening their life before you've even used them.
BTW,whilst I would not claim expert status(ski waxing is a complex,opinion based subject)I have been servicing mine,and others,ski's for a number of years.Whilst there are short cuts,new ski's are not the place to practise them wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clive5, There's been a number of postings about what to do with new skis....take a look at this one for example

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46477

The long and the short of it is that the choice is yours. I am sure there are very many people who will ski new planks straight out of the box, but there are others snowskisnow, and myself included, who will want to thoroughly prep them before they hit the slopes. It can be a pain, but any time and effort spent initially preparing them will undoubtably pay dividends. But it is down to the individual to decide if they wish to go to the effort or expense of doing it

If you don't wish to prep them yourself, I know that Spyderjon offers a very good service if you have inclination, time and can get them to Nottingham
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy