Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski helmet to choose?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm an intermediate/advanced skiier and have either used my kiddy helmet, or borrowed my Dad's for the past couple of years. I'd like to buy my own for this season. Looking to spend about £50-60 and don't want a total wrap around one. Ideally I'd like silver but not the most important thing.

Does anyone have any recommendations of any quality, reasonably priced helmets?

I've tried googling but there's such a range of prices etc, its hard to know what's good and what's not!

Thanks for your help,

Sarah
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have you tried Roxy? or Smith do some decent female ones for not to much.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you search you'll find lots of threads on here about helmets. Really I think the best thing to do is go to a shop, taking your goggles with you, and try a load on. The fit & comfort is the important thing - I suspect quality-wise they are all going to be ok. I found the Salomon Icon fitted me the best and it was just over £60. Having found one you like, you can always "go away to think about it" , roughly translated as "order it online cos it is cheaper"!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah8586, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I personally use Giro, because of it's great ventilation. Getting one that fits well and is comfy is top priority. Don't forget to take your goggles with you too, when you buy one to make sure it's compatible.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Burton RED do several lady specific helmets which are pretty cool. The females in our house have a Dainese Fun, a K2 Juvy and RED Trace 'Black Denim' between them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
THe real question here is, should people wear helmets when skiing and does it reduce mortality? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All helmets available these days will give at least the minimum amount of protection required by the applicable standards, and although *some* may give more, you can't tell which.

First thing is real requirements: do you want a helmet which can fit a chinguard, or mount an ipon into?

Second it fit. It MUST fit. Different manufacturers have different ideas on the "shape" of a head, so an S from manufacturer A may fit, but for manufacturer be you'd need an XS.

Third come the nice-haves. e.g. lots of vents.

Colour, manufacturer etc come last.

You really do need to got a shop to try on one.

I really need a new helmet: old one must be at least six years old. Unfortunately all I've been able to try so far this year have been too small Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW wrote:
All helmets available these days will give at least the minimum amount of protection required by the applicable standards, and although *some* may give more, you can't tell which.

I was lucky when I bought my helmet a few years ago that ConsumerReports.org (the US equivalent to Which?) did a comprehensive test of ski helmets. Surprisingly there were 2 helmets which failed the minimum standards and some helmets which were performing much better than others. Their top rated helmet was the Giro Fuse which luckily fit me quite well. I know it's been superceeded, but don't know the model's name.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We got Alpina GS/Super G helmets a couple of years ago for a race training course. We were not impressed with the vast majority of ski helmets on offer, as they often had detachable earpieces that, while improving ventilation on hotter days, also left part of the temporal bone exposed, and unfortunately that is one of the most vulnerable areas of the skull requiring a lot of protection. We therefore went for a proper race helmet with hard non-removeable earflaps. The helmet we got also has the advantage that you can fit a chin guard if you are training through gates. I have never found it too hot. It is FIS certified and comes in a wide range of sizes.

Our thoughts are if you are going to wear a helmet, then wear a proper race one that provides the maximum protection for your skull and face.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
docsquid, The problem with most race helmets is they have little or no ventilation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
riverman, I've never experienced any problem with ventilation, even on a hot day in Courchevel (temperature +16, skiing in t-shirts). I much prefer something that will keep my head properly warm on the less rare cold days!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My race helmet is like a slow-cooker, even on cold days! I have another helmet which is a bit more comfortable which I'll wear for regular skiing because it offers much more comfort, albeit with slightly less protection
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I never understood why you would get a race helmet unless racing... besides most helmets have pluggable holes for when it is really chilly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy