Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calais to Bourg St Maurice in a motorhome

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We leave on boxing day and should be docking in calais around 10:00 AM on the 26th. Now I know its around 550 miles to BSM from Calais but im wondering if anyone has done this in a day, ifso were they hammering it?
My big old motorhome will do 70mph max but will average at 50mph. On paper it seems possible and I will go for it but I would also like to know what the traffic into BSM is like on Saturdays as I know its terrible leaving on sats.
If need be we will pull over for the night but it would be nice to wake up with snow around.

Also if I decided to go for the non autoroute roads to save on the tolls will this add a huge chunk to the travelling time?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
surfstar, done it several times in a day. Including stops it's been between 8-10 hours, travelling at 80-85. That's a clear run.

I would think you'd be pushing it in a day at an average of 50 when you add on the delays around tolls etc which I expect there will be. Depending on time of day, but yes will be busy around BSM.

Never tried the non-autoroute trip - would imagine would add considerably to time as not such a direct route, lots of towns etc so slower journey average speed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
googlemaps and viamichelin both give an extra three hours for non-autoroute (or at least non-toll) routes to the French Alps. So, at lower speed, an extra four hours.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Traffic into and out of BSM on Saturdays - the only word is "grim!" Between 1 - 3 hours extra on a trip to from Geneva - normally about a 2 hr 10 min trip. However arriving later during the evening which you would be given your landing time, after around 7 pm, things get better, not great but better!

I would overnight it somewhere and then you could consider non autoroute as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris wrote:
surfstar, done it several times in a day......

... Boris ... have you got one of those new Typhoon Eurofighters .... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Im going to hammer it down there and overnight close to bourg with an early start next day to avoid the traffic.
Here another one, does anyone know how much it costs from calais to BSM on the tolls!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
surfstar, I think the only problem going the non-autoroute way, would be the potential for snow & ice on the mountain roads around Annecy region Confused & you said the other day (I think it was you) that your snow chains didn't fit.
We normally take 8.5 - 9hrs Calais to Plan Peisey,including a couple of very short stops. Usually within the speed limit, give or take a km or 2 wink Have a great trip & I look forward to hearing how it goes in the motorhome Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
surfstar, According to viamichelin 60 euros each way. That is for a car though probably more for a motorhome.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surfstar wrote:
I think Im going to hammer it down there and overnight close to bourg with an early start next day to avoid the traffic.
Here another one, does anyone know how much it costs from calais to BSM on the tolls!

Full journey tolls listed here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1063249&highlight=tolls#1063249
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

if I decided to go for the non autoroute roads to save on the tolls will this add a huge chunk to the travelling time?

Yes. And you have to be really careful with the speed limits or your chances of getting gunned are really quite high (I speak from experience... Confused . Mad old lady driving at 42 mph through a deserted village with no speed limit signs). That would eat up all your savings from avoiding the tolls.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the great posts. I will probably end up using the suto-toll roads as the anticipation of getting there will be to much. Fingers crossed forclear roads!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We drove down on Sunday. Left the Eurotunnel at Calais at 9.30am, arrived in BSM at 6.30pm. We didn't thrash it down, mostly setting the cruise control at 80mph, stopping a few times for a loo break and to stretch legs. The autoroutes were, as usual, significantly quieter than any UK motorway. Lots of Gendarmes on the autoroutes with speed guns. Tolls cost us €61.30
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Made exactly the same time as Rob on Dec 13th - same speed - motorways very clear - no queues at tolls - going straight through telepeage. Wonder if the motorways and tolls will be a different story the time you are travelling??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arrrggggg...!!! why, why..?? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, eh?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy