Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots in hand luggage (again)

Poster: A snowHead
No problems at all with ski boots in hand luggage on Easyjet out of LGW this week. Used a stroller instead of a boot bag to fit the dimensions for hand luggage.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no problem 2 weeks ago on the same route and mine were in a bot bag Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roger C wrote:
no problem 2 weeks ago on the same route and mine were in a bot bag Laughing

A bot bag? Confused - I hope you washed them before you put them on!!! Shocked wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C, away again pal wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spotted someone with boots as hand baggage a week ago on an Easyjet flight Bristol - Geneva: said he had no problems. A year ago they were specifically forbidden at Bristol..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roger C,
Does a boot bag comply with hand luggage size regs ( as per that metal frame thingy you get at the airport)?
Am taking my boot with me in a couple of weeks time flying Monarch from Gatwick & was planning to pack them in main case..............if boot bags are okay size wise & not being refused will use that instead.
Mitch
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was asked last week on Easyjet from Bristol to Grenoble if I had boots or helmet in hand luggage because it is not allowed. At Grenoble there are signs that said no helmets or boots in hand luggage. I also asked if ski boots could be worn onboard and the answer was no, so just put you boots in the hold and fill your hand luggage with something from your hold bag. This seems to be an airport thing with Easyjet rather than an airline thing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Update on this old chestnut:

At Chambery airport yesterday: Security staff were sending people back to check in Ski boots spotted in hand luggage. They were signs at Check-in and on the monitors saying 'No Ski Boots or helmets in hand luggage". But no-one was getting away with it even though it was very busy! Puzzled

Some of the boots were in rucksacks within hand luggage size and weight limits but it did no good to argue or question why?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I generally fly out of Stansted and have never been stopped with my boot bag. Flew to Munich with Easyjet end of November and Bergamo with Ryanair mid December. All of us had boot bags that we carried onto the plane.... Mine is kind of square in size and black with Profeet on it. Maybe it does not look that obvious. Was going to pull boots in a pully next week to carry on as did not book a check-in bag. Blush
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just checked BAA and Ryanair websites for next weekends flight and no mention of boots in bag been prohibited. Just checked the airport I am flying to on the website and no mention there....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok to have boot bag as hand luggage out of Manchester 3 weeks ago, but not out of Gronoble on the way back 3/1/09. Notices said any taken through security would be destroyed. They did however let us check the boot bag in separate to our suitcase and did not charge us extra so thankfully we didn't have to frantically try and re-pack!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like a French thing at their airports close to the Alps. Maybe they just want to annoy people and drive them away!! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah there was signs at chambery and the check in staff asked me aswell
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds very unreasonable.

I flew back Flybe from Geneva 2 weeks ago and was allowed boots as hand luggage.

I asked the check in girl if this was alright, she said yes and looked surprised that I even asked.

The boots fit fine in the overhead locker and there was no problem with the x-ray.

Also on this subject, Flybe did not charge me for my in hold luggage from Geneva, but I get the impression I will be charged from Exeter ...

However if I have to put my boots in the hold the flight operator will no doubt charge.

The whole luggage, ski gear thing seems very inconsistent, and results in the costs of air travel being much higher than the web price.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone had the same problem in Switzerland? We're flying to Berne, charter from Gatwick and was hoping to bring the boots in hand luggage.
ski holidays
A definate NO from Bristol Airport - I checked with them - in fact I tried last year and was sent back from x ray and had to Q again and put them into the hold, - could be useda s a 'dangerious weapon on board ' just passing on..... Puzzled
snow report
Thomson fly wont allow it with me from Birmingham to Geneva Mad
snow report
Looks like the best plan is to pack the ski boots in my suitcase and carry 6kg of clothes etc. in my boot bag as hand luggage!
ski holidays
thats my plan
snow conditions
Easyjet Luton to Geneva & back (as of last Saturday & yesterday) - no problems at all with boots as hand luggage. I had mine in a rucksack but a friend travelling out with us had hers in a very obvious boot bag. Nice lady on Luton check-in desk offered to check the boot-bag in for no extra charge (!), but had no issues with our friend's decision to keep it as carry-on baggage, so it's not a matter of sneaking through unnoticed...
ski holidays
we are going birmingham to geneva with easyjet this week should we put them in a case or try bootbags as hand luggage?
snow report
Jet 2 allow it! Very Happy
snow report
Ok with Ryanair Stansted/Turin both ways last week although they were in a rucksack.
ski holidays
Just flown RyanAir Liverpool - Treviso and back with boots in hand luggage. No problems.

Am flying Liverpool - Innsbruck with EasyJet in March and have email confirmation from both EasyJet and Liverpool Airport Security that boots are OK so long as a) they are my 1 piece of hand luggage and b) they are within the size/weight restrictions.

No problems.
snow report
Not sure I understand the problem here. Why would you not check your boots into the aircraft hold? Is it because of fear of loss or damage?

I always try and keep hand luggage to an absolute minimum. After all you've got to carry it around. Just a small shoulder bag or backpack for me with book, tickets, passport and medication...

I admit I feel a little bit wary of getting luggage back damaged at baggage reclaim, but so far haven't experienced any problems...
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Not sure I understand the problem here. Why would you not check your boots into the aircraft hold? Is it because of fear of loss or damage?

Weight................My boots weigh 6kg, hell of a lump out of your 20kg or 15kg hold allowance?
latest report
Mine weigh almost 5kg too. But clothes don't weigh much, especially ski clothes. I think my holdall weighed under 7kg last season. Is there something essential I'm not taking...?

I'd really struggle to lift a 15kg bag to get it in and out of the car...
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:

Because with a lot of the budget airlines, the hold allowance you get is very low. With RyanAir you get 15kg. I take a helmet, and my suitcase is quite a sturdy one. There goes about 6kg of my weight allowance. My boots weigh another 6kg (ish). That would leave me 3 kilo's for ski gear, underwear, evening clothes, washing products, electrical stuff etc etc etc. Not do-able. Boots in the hand luggage is easier all round.

Plus there's a little bit of the other thing you mentioned - they are the one thing i couldn't easily replace in resort if they were to get lost.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You couldn't get 6kgs of clothing into hand luggage so on a Ryanair flight (15kgs hold allowance) you have to take on your boots as hand luggage.
snow conditions
Ah, I bet it's the suitcases that do it. My holdall probably doesn't even weigh a kilo empty, with ski stuff, pair of jeans, T-Shirts and cosmetics I don't even think it would ever be able to weigh 10kg...

Maybe there's a gap in the market to make sturdy lightweight suitcases? I've never bothered with a suitcase myself as they look too heavy...
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Ah, I bet it's the suitcases that do it. My holdall probably doesn't even weigh a kilo empty, with ski stuff, pair of jeans, T-Shirts and cosmetics I don't even think it would ever be able to weigh 10kg...

Maybe there's a gap in the market to make sturdy lightweight suitcases? I've never bothered with a suitcase myself as they look too heavy...

I've just bought a rucksack as it only weighs a kilo of so when empty.

The only problem with using it for skiing is that I need to transport my helmet and would be worried about the amount of protection it would get in a rucksack.

In my semi rigid suitcase it gets protected... but the case weighs a ton!
ski holidays
got an email yesterday from Jet2.com saying Chambery Airport will NOT allow boots in hand luggage.
latest report
russ_e wrote:
got an email yesterday from Jet2.com saying Chambery Airport will NOT allow boots in hand luggage.

Flew back from Chambery last year and they didn't allow it then either... lots of open luggage all over the departures area with people rearranging luggage!
snow conditions
Yet another reason to avoid Chambery then. What the hell are they thinking? Perhaps they'll ban skis in the hold next? rolling eyes
snow report
Grenoble is even more severe on the poor boots! Several signs with the words "No ski boots in hand luggage..... will be destroyed!"

Dont try it! Its just not worth it! Fill the hand luggage with as much other stuff as you can. It's worth investing in a bag the perfect size for max hand luggage. Best advice i can give snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy