Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Mammoth

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All.

Me and some friends are flying to LA and hiring a car to drive to Mammoth in february. Does anyone here have any experience at doing that drive or around that area? Do the roads get cleared regularly?

Is a SUV a necessary? 2wd with chains be ok? (i read some that hire companies don't like chains on the cars)

Just trying to find ways to save some cash, 4 of us with all our gear takes up a fair bit of room and the big SUV's aren't that cheap.

Thanks
Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hello
drove down from tahoe to la last april time , used the 395 most of the way . this road is mostly through the desert , try looking on google earth . should take about 5 hours , this was the first time i had driven in the us , and its so easy . navigating out of la is a different matter , i hired a sat nav from dollar but its expensive , probably cheaper to get the maps for your sat nav in england .
never been to mamoth didn,t have time to stop on way so i can tell you about roads up to mamoth . interstate 395 has its own website try googling it , also try caltrans for highway conditions . hope this helps
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the roads get cleared fast once a storm ends, but sometimes storms last for several days.
most vacationers are on time schedules and cant wait a couple extra days.
if they throw up chain restrictions you cant get by without chains or 4wd.
i'd go for the 4wd.
its the reason i drive this
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Illicit, good advice above.... I drove from LA on a sunny April day, aircon on and needed all the way to cool us down and not a single flake of snow to be seen in resort on arrival - but still had a decent weeks skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The drive takes 5 to 6 hours depending on traffic and stops. We flew to LA on a Saturday, stayed at an airport hotel overnight, got up early next day (your body clock will still be 8 hours behind) and drove up on a Sunday (in early April). It was clear and sunny all the way until we were just south of Mammoth when it started to snow. Next day we had 14 inches of new snow on a deserted Monday morning.

Even in bad weather a lot of the drive at the lower elevations will not be a problem as you are in desert. The climb as you get to Mammoth is relatively steep and short .

Watch out for speed traps etc on the way up and back. The speed limit is (I think) 55 or 60 on the open road and lower in the towns you pass through. We saw numerous police radar traps.

We had a 4WD, as did a lot of other people. They seemed the vehicle of choice for tourists and locals

The driving in LA can be "challenging" but if you time it right it is not a major issue. The route from the airport (after a good nights rest and in daylight) is not a problem....maybe more so in the dark after a 12 hour flight and any delays.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Until you hit the village of Mommoth, you won't get much use of that 4wd. And once you're in the village (assuming you're on the bus route), you don't really "need" to use your own transport. Convenient, yes. Neccessary, not.

If money is an issue, I would definitely look at other options beyond SUV. But, check prices around, SUV is not neccessarily any more expensive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Took about 6 hours for us a couple of years back, but we hit the LA Freeway at almost peak times (and you thought the M25 was busy Shocked ) - although with there being more than 1 in the car, we could use the 'special' lane, which saved us about 20 seconds in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did my first Mammoth trip in March 97 they had some deals on to upgrade to a 4x4 at LA airport which we took, never needed it all week even for the day trip further north up the 395.
Drove from Tahoe to Mammoth in Feb this year and it was a complete whiteout the road was closed to any vehicle without chains. We had a minivan with chains which was fine.
I would spend the $40ish cost of having chains in the back of the car, never had any problems with the rental companies and chains.
Also did Vegas to Mammoth in 2002 in Feb never saw fresh snow all week.
Best of luck
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy