Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm being hopeless, can someone help me with jacket choice...

Poster: A snowHead
I mean it, I am being utterly hopeless and going around in circles! Maybe someone here can help give me some perspective!

Basically there are two jackets I like the look of and I can't decide between them (if only I could afford both)! What I'm looking for is something that would be ok for the occasional ski trip but is far more likely to see action in the UK on wet country walks and camping weekends.

Contender 1 is a jacket by The North Face. It is billed as a "Down Triclimate Parka". It consists of a fairly heavy duty "Hyvent" shell, with a 500 down zip out interior. Feels like a warm hug when you put it on and could probably stand up to the coldest weather even if I happened to be starkers underneath (not that I'm intending to be). With the down interior removed I reckon it would work ok as a ski jacket if perhaps a touch heavy. It feels well made and as if you are getting quite a lot for your money but I'm slightly wary of the Hyvent label. Would I be getting a TNF product aimed more as a fashion brand than a technical jacket or is that a bit harsh? Also, not sure I would ever wear the down liner on its own. Firstly, I'm not a huge fan of that style of jacket anyway, but also it is rare in this country for things to be cold enough that I'd want to wear it without the shell to protect it from a sudden downpour. Price - usually £240 ish in Ellis Brigham but could pick one up for about £200.

Contender 2 which I have my eye on is a Mountain Equipment Morpheus jacket. A very different animal, 3 layer Gore Tex Pro Shell, aimed at mountaineers and hill walkers (but again, could see it doubling as a ski jacket when needed). Looks like a scaled down version of their top of the range Changabang jacket (but retails at about £200, so £100 less than the Changabang).

It also feels very well made and I could probably wear it in a biblical deluge and still stay dry (not sure I could say that about TNF one). I hear good things about the hoods on these jackets, and they generally seem well rated by users. It may be a personal thing as I've never bought a shell before, but it is difficult to feel that you are getting a lot for your money when something gives the appearance of being so lightweight, although I guess that is part of the point! Also, it would need to be worn with a good layer system to be much good in the cold which makes me think it wouldn't be so handy to just throw on top of whatever you happen to be wearing when you head outside. On the plus side though, it would be easier to pack if going abroad and its lighter weight might make it more useful in warmer spring showers (or summer showers, lets face it I live in the UK).

For me £200 feels like a lot of money to spend so I really want to avoid buyer's remorse. Unfortunately several trips to the store to try them both has still left me undecided so, any thoughts based on your exerience of owning similar? Pros or cons that might help me decide?

Thanks
m
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry can't help you with which one but

try Blcks for a jacket pal my wife got one was £210 reduced to £109
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay away from the flock. Go Mountain Equipment.

TNF sounds TOO warm anyway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a TNF Plasma Jacket, and there's days that it's just too warm... go with the shell jacket. Make sure it has a powder skirt and pit vents too.

I have learned my lesson and won't make the same mistake again.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses. On the subject of pit vents, the TNF jacket has them the ME one doesn't. Neither has a powder skirt. If I could upgrade to the Changabang I'd get both, but I don't feel ready to drop nearly £300 on a jacket just at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If cost is an issue, you can't beat the Munro by Keela. At about £150, not only is it cheaper than either but has all the features you want too.
They're a Scottish company and don't really do the fashion market so you don't see them in the big chains as they sell mainly to emergency services like Police, mountain rescue etc. ESF in Tignes wear Keela for example.
check it out at http://keela.co.uk/ under Gear-> Jackets-> Extreme
And more importantly, see what other snowHeads think of them: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?search_keywords=munro&search_fields=all&search_terms=all

If you think it's a goer, get in touch (PM Admin) as we have a trade account with them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks, I'll have a look
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mattgcp, I prefer shells by a mile for skiing (I tend to need very little insulation when active, often just one thin base layer plus the shell). However, when I walk out in the evening in a ski resort, just a shell on top of more normal clothing can feel cold. For the UK...well, it's not that cold, the wind and the rain get you, so a shell should be enough.

Powder skirt isn't essential, but pit vents can be important.

Any chance of looking up things on ebay, discontinued stock from discounters, etc? For £200 you should be able to get a decent XCR shell (maybe not Pro shell) with pit vents.

Here's an idea (though you may not find here what you're looking for):
http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductList.asp
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Changabanga for 250 here, or you could try to make a lower offer (disclaimer: I just did a search, know nothing about the seller):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mountain-Equipment-Changabang-Goretex-Waterproof-Jacket_W0QQitemZ360118034857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE?hash=item360118034857&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mattgcp, I got a Changabang for £150 - you just need to wait til they bring the annual colour change and bingo, all the 'old' ones are half price.

Keela are also great value, and without digging too far in the can of proverbials, both brands manage to occupy the Moral High Ground by being non-chav, non-muppet, non-punter and non-oliarch.

I agree with horizon, that a decent goretex combined with layers beneath as appropriate is the best 'system' for skiing and heavy insulated ski-jackets should be avoided unless you are the type to feel the cold
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heh, look here:
http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/Mountain_Equipment_Changabang_Waterproof_Jacket__08_.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
another shout for ME. had a number of their jackets and they have never disappointed. they are possibly a little behind the likes of Arcteryx and Patagonia in terms of cutting edge technology but are pretty good value. the hoods were clearly made with Scottish winter conditions in mind and are the best I have come across (although they may be a bit over-engineered if you aren't using them in 40mph+ winds)

i don't think there's much wrong with TNF but I have never seen anything of their's which stands out in comparison with other options

edit: keep an eye on ebay. i have got some serious bargains on there
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, ME hoods only really seem to work when wearing a helmet...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back in May I found on eBay US a brand new Patagonia Primo Flash for $220, which in Europe I saw for 450 Euros. Yeeehaaah!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, disagree, although i do have a massive head

snowman, scored one of those for £100 (brand new) on UK ebay a couple of weeks ago Cool
ski holidays
Arno,
Quote:

another shout for ME. had a number of their jackets and they have never disappointed. they are possibly a little behind the likes of Arcteryx and Patagonia in terms of cutting edge technology but are pretty good value. the hoods were clearly made with Scottish winter conditions in mind and are the best I have come across (although they may be a bit over-engineered if you aren't using them in 40mph+ winds)

I have only needed one ME Gore Tex jacket, I have been using it for winter mountaineering in the UK for over ten years now, and it seems to be almost unwearoutable, the hood is brilliant for severe Scottish conditions, and the whole thing is great when being blasted by 60mph graupel, but I don't use it for skiing as it is just too substantial, when it comes into it's own all the lifts would be shut!
latest report
RobinS, just sold a 9-year-old Changabang - agree with all your comments. i am sure the new owner will get bored of it before it is worn out
snow conditions
It is amazing how many people can't figure out how to work a hood...

altho' I do think that TNF design can be a bit chummy... Laughing

PLUG.. got a few jackets that I don't use, for sale... wink
snow report
Quote:

snowman, scored one of those for £100 (brand new) on UK ebay a couple of weeks ago

Arno, but I bet you didn't manage to get a blue one! wink Laughing
I still have not had a chance to try it out....less than a month for me to go now.
Have you had a chance to try it out? How do you like it....I am a bit concerned that it has not got armpit zips (which I used quite a bit on my old MH gore tex jacket) and the zippers are pretty stiff.

Oh, and how do you adjust the hood with all these adjustments available....is there an order to follow, eg volume first, then front, then circumference?
ski holidays
snowman, no - red, but blue is a bit conservative for my tastes Wink

i have worn it but not for skiing. i have a Stretch Element already which is the same fabric but slightly different cut and features (eg - has pitzips but no powder skirt and is a bit shorter - more of a mountaineering cut.) i love the stretch element and will definitely continue to use it for touring (when the pitzips will be useful) and general use at home. i don't think you'll be disappointed. the fabric is by far the most comfortable in terms of breathability, waterproofness and soft feel for a 3 layer jacket I have used. enjoy!

very rarely bother to adjust the hood much. has to be very bad weather for me to ski with it up
snow conditions
snowman, pull in the neck drawstring at the back of the hood...to close the neck... it helps if your mid-layer has a nigh neck... then adjust the chin pulls...until the hood peak rides up the back of your head which will sit over the back of your hat
snow conditions
Mattgcp, Mr HH bought a TNF Triclimate last year and really likes it, he's only used it once though so it hasn't been tried and tested in any kind of harsh weather yet.

I have a nice Keela as supplied by admin and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It is retiring from the skiing scene this year after keeping me warm and dry for years.....but only because I need something to keep out the horrible English weather now that I do my daily commute on the train! It's going strong and in daily use....looks like it will last for years and years.
snow report
So many ideas! Many thanks for all the input, much appreciated.
ski holidays
You'll be pleased to know that after much agonising I finally made a decision!

Although I was impressed with the Keela Munro, I like to be able to try something on before I buy as I hate the hassle of returning things. So, after yet another lengthy "trying on" session in Ellis Brigham I've just been online and bought myself a Mountain Equipment Morpheus jacket (Gore-Tex Pro-Shell). In the end I decided that the North Face Triclimate jacket would be an excellent "going to the pub" jacket, but it just didn't feel as well engineered as the ME one. UK weather also tends to be wetter far more often than it is really cold, so hopefully the ME will see more use as it gets warmer. The TNF jacket was also too large to pack down for travelling. Finally, I really liked the way the hood on the ME jacket moved with my head, it is very well designed. In the end it just seemed that if I went with TNF I'd probably end up buying a ME jacket as well, so hopefully I've saved myself a chunk of cash!

I found the Morpheus online for £160 with free delivery, which is £40 off the rrp and just too good to pass up. The money I've saved may well go towards their fleece Micro Jacket so I've got something warm to wear underneath (although I already have a merino top for that).

Thanks again for helping me to decide and a happy New Year to all.
m
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy